The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

auto trans durability thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The 6/4 Auto car I picked up a few months ago has 180k and the trans shifts firm and feels great, but I am running a shiftbox in it. I checked the fluid and it looks and smells fine but I will be putting a new filter in this spring.
So Hyguard is recommended for the fluid? Is that a John Deere product? What are the characteristics that make it a better fluid, I want the best for mine that's for sure.
I was told by Tim Zimmer AKA Twicks on here that many of the top guys ran it and it was perfect! its more heavy duty from what i read and thats always good for a trans that see's abuse!

the effects from road racing to drag racing will be totally different aswel! to what degree I dont know but hopefully next year I can come back to show my results from Time attack with an auto box and how it runs and compare the results to drag racing and life vs timespan etc etc

The 6/4 Auto car I picked up a few months ago has 180k and the trans shifts firm and feels great, but I am running a shiftbox in it. I checked the fluid and it looks and smells fine but I will be putting a new filter in this spring.
So Hyguard is recommended for the fluid? Is that a John Deere product? What are the characteristics that make it a better fluid, I want the best for mine that's for sure.

I would also look in to Amsoil. I'm not saying that because I run it but because a lot of research I did led me to selecting Amsoil. I have heard great things about HyGard but also heard it has a problem foaming/evaporating. Some people add stabilizer to prevent the foaming but I didn't want to mess with that. There are a few threads on here that talk about both Amsoil and HyGard so it seems like those are the two top options.

Last edited:
Got an all stock 1g auto. 136k. Now at 155k. Translab kit. Shiftbox and still use stock TCU for most driving. I mix JD Hyrdo and ATF. Still running stock cooler. Putting a second one inline with it. Flushed filter and fluid through a good 4 times. It had never been changed before. Don't expect trans to last forever. Have another ready to go in with Kiggly clutches. Translab kit. TRE shotpeened and detail transfer gears and TRE 4 spider gear diff. Like the stock converter. Have another 1g I auto swapped and ran the stock converter on it for awhile then put in a restalled stocker. Dyno graphs between the two are interesting. Driveability is better on the stock converter especially when racking up miles. Now I just got another 2g GSX Auto. Whole nother car project.

95 AWD auto here. Been beating on this car daily, & at the shootout the last 3 years. Will be adding a secondary cooler with a fan soon. My current trans cooler is aftermarket & mounted in front of passenger side radiator. Two slim fans from Jegs on $75 range fans, for upper CFM.

Posting here. As, I will be considering either a restalled stock converter OR a sinister? I think BOOMDEEZE mentioned.

Wondering about just rebuilding my spare 2g awd auto trans while I'm at it?

I'm poor. Not sure if I mentioned this. But over my 12 year escapades with my DSM, I make this happen over time.

Forgot to mention, there isn't much info on the Forced Four Shiftbox 100.1 on here. I have one recently installed & will be exploring this & documenting my experiences on a dedicated thread later on.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back