The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Auto Or 5 Speed

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dontknowalot

Probationary Member
Jun 18, 2002
orlando_fl
WHAT WOULD BE BETTER FOR HAVING FUN AND RACING AN AUTO OR 5 SPEED IS THERE ANY COMANY THAT MAKES A STALL WITH A HIGHER STALL SPEED THEN STOCK AND DO ANY ONE MAKE A SHIFT KIT THATS FOR THE HELP

i didn't buy the N/T eclipse for performance reasons. i bought it as a daily driver. no more, no less.
and furthermore, acceleration is not the only factor of performance.

when i want to drive a performance-oriented vehicle, that is what the Porsche is for. that is what the ZC-powered CRX is for (work in progress). that is what the sil-eighty is for (work in progress).

drag race = fun, but no real contest of performance for me.
i like a WELL ROUNDED car, handling, braking, and acceleration (and that is the order of importance, too)

My friend at school has a 98 gsx, with very similar mods done to his car that i have to mine, and he switched his manual out for a performance auto tranny about 3 months ago. all i have to say is.. that car freaking hauls a$$ now. i personally dont like autos either because sticks are much more fun to drive, but some of you guys really dog on the autos far more than you should. ;)

Originally posted by Goro21
My friend at school has a 98 gsx, with very similar mods done to his car that i have to mine, and he switched his manual out for a performance auto tranny about 3 months ago. all i have to say is.. that car freaking hauls a$$ now. i personally dont like autos either because sticks are much more fun to drive, but some of you guys really dog on the autos far more than you should. ;)

Where did your friend get his trans from?

this post is rediculous!! posts like this ruin the dsm forum. Its preference!!!!!!!! If you want to use one of your feet, you buy an auto, if you want to use two, buy a manual! I think the driving preference is FAR more important than the performance, if this is going to be a daily driver. Also, I think that one should learn to drive a manual, with at least some experience before making a decision.

Originally posted by metasonic
this post is rediculous!! posts like this ruin the dsm forum. Its preference!!!!!!!! If you want to use one of your feet, you buy an auto, if you want to use two, buy a manual! I think the driving preference is FAR more important than the performance, if this is going to be a daily driver. Also, I think that one should learn to drive a manual, with at least some experience before making a decision.
I don't think this post is ridiculous at all. It may be preference, but there are a lot of people who have never driven a car with a manual transmission. Also, a lot of pros and cons that one person might not think up on his own have been revealed in this thread.

I have an Automatic car and I must admit that it sucks sometimes, but when you start smoking your friends who have manuals you start to have a big grin. I do anyway. LOL, they both have had their stock clutches go out because of there mods, of course they soon got ACT 2600s installed. I don't really care anymore because my car is starting to get enough power to even things out when it comes to racing.

I currently have a shift kit sitting in a box along with an end clutch. I just don't want to put it in for fear of jacking my car up. I think if I put that in, look out suckas cause I'm comming through.

It does have a lot to do with personal preference. If you like to have complete control of your car, then a manual is good. If you want to talk on your cell, have your arm around your girl, look at a map, drink a soda with ease, etc etc etc then get an Automatic. I call my car the LPV. Luxury Performance Vehicle. I love when people under estimate a car based on a transmission or some other trivial thing. I believe a fast car is a fast car and it should be respected regardless. I would have to say that it is harder to extract the power out of Automatic, but when you do it is very satisfying. Especially when you are in traffic just chilling and when it clears up you smoke em all.

Rob

And here it is again, manuals = lots of fun/ generally a lighter-weight tranny, good racing from a roll.

Automatics = more efficient when making a lot of friggin' power!

Originally posted by Goblin
Racing with an automatic? I thought that was only done in Grand Turismo 3 for Playstation 2 LOL. Well, personally when there is snow everywhere and I'm comuting nothing beats an automatic. But racing with an automatic is worthless, you can't manipulate the gears or engine with an auto. So I'd have to say that nothing beats a manual, except for indy shifters, but I don't think they make those for DSMs (someone please tell me if they do!).

Actually level 10 products has a shift kit that can manipulate each gear, shift quickness/firmness, and torque converter lockup(for downshifts like a manual). The advantage is the 1 second it takes for a manual to be shifted(push in clutch, select gear, release cluch). By that time I'm two carlengths in frount and your busy re-spooling and waisting traction (fwd only)

Originally posted by dTERM
Auto's are ment for the handicapped and women who like to put on makeup while they drive. Anyone racing an auto is probably ricing it too...and they need to have their ass handed to them on a platter...which any 5-speeder will gladly do.

Hey dude, you need to recognize. You might have 5 gears, but that will give me just the oportunity I need to pass yo ass. Each time you change a gear it takes you at least .5 - 1 second to (press cluch, select gear, release clutch) not to mention all the traction you will probably lose atempting to catch up. I have a level 10 auto tranny thats got more heat than yo grandmas friction filled underwear. With my bada** high stall torque converter and every available option on my transmission, as well as, a shift kit that makes each gear engage at the press of a button and manipulability of both shift firmness/quickness and torque converter lock up. Not to mention the tranny can hold up to 700 WHP+

To make a long comment short- you can shift thoose gears with your a$$ h$l$

5-speed offers more feel for the road and a much different driving experience than auto.

Auto is much better for dragging. It keeps the boasts through shifts and shifts quick.

It's usualy a personal preference. No point in arguing about it or bashing either one of them.

whats this traction loss you talk about when a 5 speed shifts, their is no traction loss.

Let's put an end to this argument once and for all. Auto is good for stop and go traffic, manual is not. There.

Originally posted by TommyTurbo
For fun and racing, definitely stick. It sucks in heavy traffic though.

i disagree, 5 speed is fine in traffic.. gives me something to focus on anyway..

what manual SUCKS in, is traffic jams. and in those situations i dont even bother going unless the car in front of me moves more than a car length before stopping.

Originally posted by shadowboy

what manual SUCKS in, is traffic jams. and in those situations i dont even bother going unless the car in front of me moves more than a car length before stopping.

You mean like when the freeway comes to a complete stop for the next 2 hours? HAHAHAHA you manual guys are so screwed!

fortunately, i do not frequently run into those scenarios :)

If you know how to properly drive a 5 speed you shouldn't have any problems driving in traffic

Originally posted by zadir
If you know how to properly drive a 5 speed you shouldn't have any problems driving in traffic

Its not that you have "problems" it is that it is a pain in the butt. Gas, clutch, brake, gas, clutch, brake, etc, etc, etc. Stuck in bad traffic is annoying enough, always having to use 3 pedals to make your car go and stop just adds to it. Especially if you got that big clutch upgrade like a 2600 to handle all that mad DSM horsepower.

Rob

Manual is way better except for like he said about shifting all the time, It gets really old, but otherwise I wouldn't think about an automatic.

Speaking of Manual trannys, I just purchased a 95 non-turbo ecslipse with an a/t. I am going to buy a used 4G63 engine and rebuild it and put on an aftermarket turbo and all that nice engine stuff. I am also buying a new rebuilt manual transaxle to convert it to a 5 speed. I know, you are all thinking, why the heck did I not just go and buy a turbo 5 speed eclipse. Well, that is because I found the one I have now for 800 dollars and the only prob. with it is bad piston rings. I figure, by the time I do the conversion and slap on a couple of aftermarket goodies I will have broke even. But what I am needing to know is what is the best model 5 speed for these cars? When I went to price them I found 2 different models. One was about $1000s more. If anyone can help me out, what is the difference between the trannys used in these cars and which is better. Thanks

i had an auto 1990eclipse n/t and about a month after i had it a gear broke in it and it was going to cost well over a $1000 to fix it and besides it was not fast enuf any way. so i sold it and bought a 1994 talon 5-speed and it would stomp the auto. and i got a price on rebuilding the 5-speed and it was only around $800

I can't believe this thread is still active, someone should kill it.:confused:

If i had a choice Id have a 5 speed. Yet I payed 8k for my 98 GSX 89k miles,Auto , Rims , Lowered, Full catback exaust etc. For the money It was a good deal , i had no room to bi*** about the type of tranny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back