The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Auto Or 5 Speed

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dontknowalot

Probationary Member
Jun 18, 2002
orlando_fl
WHAT WOULD BE BETTER FOR HAVING FUN AND RACING AN AUTO OR 5 SPEED IS THERE ANY COMANY THAT MAKES A STALL WITH A HIGHER STALL SPEED THEN STOCK AND DO ANY ONE MAKE A SHIFT KIT THATS FOR THE HELP

First of all caps lock off. Secondly 5-speed will be better for racing and overall driving pleasure. I believe someone makes a high-stall coverter but not sure of the company.

Later,

i dont know about the high stall but 5 speed is definitely more fun to drive and you can get faster times. my 2 cents.

Racing with an automatic? I thought that was only done in Grand Turismo 3 for Playstation 2 LOL. Well, personally when there is snow everywhere and I'm comuting nothing beats an automatic. But racing with an automatic is worthless, you can't manipulate the gears or engine with an auto. So I'd have to say that nothing beats a manual, except for indy shifters, but I don't think they make those for DSMs (someone please tell me if they do!).

what are the possibilitys of an auto tranny in a 93 eclipse GS?? I really dont like automatics and would like to change it someday but i dont have the money yet. what does the translab shift kit do? do they have a website? also, what does the high stall converter do??

thanks-
Mike

you can race auto in GT2 for PSX too. Not that I ever would. 5-speeds are much more fun to drive and give you a lot more control over the car. I dunno about high stall converters.

I agree about the 5 speed being the only one to have. There all I have. Course its not ALLL about fun there is also the higher gas mileage you get as well as the power with the 5 speed. But the 5 speeds you have to worry about clutches and other broken driveline parts if you start modding the car and launching.

Russ

i think we forgot to mention that (at least the 1g) AT DSMs came with smaller turbos... less power + no shifting = two reasons to buy a 5spd.

automatic requires no skills at all.
manual requires skills, the better you are at it the faster you'll go.

Not to mention I like to be in control of the car as much as possbile when I'm driving that's why I HATE ABS and Automatic transmissions, the last thing I need is a car with a very microscopic view of what's going on trying to drive for me!

Hell I don't even like CRUIZ CONTROL! :laugh:

DSM with an auto trans is like THC free Marijuanna; WTF is the point?

well if you have a short shifter in you car(like i have in my starion )then yes manual may be better but consider the fact that when you shift you slow down the spooling of the turbo, if you have a automatic , when the car shifts, the turbo is still spinning fast! and you can rev the rpms to make the car give more power so if you think about it, its all in who the better driver is. i guess the only way to really find out is to race one! i happen to have an automatic and its one fast mofo i've drivin both and the manual is is nice (god knows so is the car) but i love my talon.had a friend who had the same as me (an auto talon)and he said it was no good, that the manuals were better but after a nice drive in my car he very quickly changed his veiws! so having both and the experiance i can tell you that auto is better.
but then again thats just my opinion! oh yea i forgot to tell you that you don't have to worry about burning the clutch which a lot of people do and no tranny problems, well at least i havent anyway!
I also have awd and you dont have to worry about buning out (not something you want to do when racing some one)you dont loose any time it just sits and goes!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

keep it on all fours!;) ;)

Most of the posters have told about the 5 speed being the only way to go. In regard to controllability of gear choices I agree (I have a five speed and love it). But in the DSM I don't think its the only choice there is......

The automatic might have some advantages. Goblin states that for commuting and in snow an auto is valuable - a manual can be a pain in the ass in heavy traffic. Every city I've seen has pretty good traffic these days.

Fast4dr makes a really good point about reliability. The automatic seems to be pretty reliable, while the five speed tends to gather complaints. Everyone seems to complain of crunchy shifting in the 5 speed, and lots of people that have increased power also tell of burned clutches, broken gears, broken differentials, etc. I bet the automatic, properly set, would cushion all of this shock and break fewer parts. Sure the auto comes with a smaller turbo, but that can easily be upgraded (at least as easily as for the 5 speed drivers).

The automatic is only a four speed, but thats not a real penalty. The toque and power curves of the 4G63 are really wide, certainly wide enough to cover the ratio spread of the auto gearbox.

I'm sure parts or even fully upgraded transmssions are available (I'm sorry, I can't recall any names at this moment!). So the bottom line line is I think the automatic is a viable choice for any DSM.

Kyle

I had 7 cars in my 10 yr driving history, 4 out of the 7 were 5 speeds. I traded my last car in because it was an automatic and that if I needed acceleration, I had to make sure the a/c was off.
the pickup with the 5 speed and pure fun driving is the BEST.

A GSX or TSI automatic would hold it's own against gs, rs, esi because it's 4 wheels spinning versus a worthless 2 in the front. But I'm still going to have to go ahead and say that a TSI or GSX manual would destroy a TSI or GSX automatic (not looking for any arguements here, just doing the whole educated opinion thing). My brothers Jeep Grand Cherokee use to own my friends TSI automatic (and they were rated at the same HP), and when I got to test drive a TSI manual the jeep was left far behind.

My last point is this. You will never ever see a professional race car with an auto transmission (NASCAR, KART, F1, WRC, ect.) and whenever the big companies get together to factory test high performance cars (Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porshe) they only use manuals for the tests.

So I'm going to have to go with Auto = conviencience (in a test of one equal car to another so no honda civic Si vs a TSI or GSX:laugh: ) and manual = performance.

Originally posted by Goblin
A GSX or TSI automatic would hold it's own against gs, rs, esi because it's 4 wheels spinning versus a worthless 2 in the front. But I'm still going to have to go ahead and say that a TSI or GSX manual would destroy a TSI or GSX automatic (not looking for any arguements here, just doing the whole educated opinion thing). My brothers Jeep Grand Cherokee use to own my friends TSI automatic (and they were rated at the same HP), and when I got to test drive a TSI manual the jeep was left far behind.

My last point is this. You will never ever see a professional race car with an auto transmission (NASCAR, KART, F1, WRC, ect.) and whenever the big companies get together to factory test high performance cars (Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porshe) they only use manuals for the tests.

So I'm going to have to go with Auto = conviencience (in a test of one equal car to another so no honda civic Si vs a TSI or GSX:laugh: ) and manual = performance.

Goblin, you sure about that? The gearboxes used in F1 are computer controlled, clutchess gearboxes. Some might consider these automatics!

(just kidding)

Kyle

an auto also uses up more torque and with AWD added i would not like the extra drivetrain loss. a crazy traction-filled launch is what sets these cars apart and you pretty much need to drop that clutch to achieve that. however, in a drag/bracket racing car an auto is a fine choice because of the consistency it offers(those are racing trannys though)

The only real advantage with automatic is consistancy. While in drag racing that is. With a 5-speed, 6-speed, or even a 4-speed, you might be having a bad day on the track or something, and mis-shift and you lose .5 seconds off your time. Which wouldn't be a good thing. It happens to us all. But for a road course, manual will most likely smoke an automatic any day with the right driver skill.

How many of you have driven both? A well modded auto with has a crazy amount of traction loss unless run on dr's and the turbo take so much longer to spool because everytime you shift your out of your power band. Also the 1g cars came with better injectors too, or atleast I have been told, I know for a fact there a different color.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back