The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Auto 96 with lots of Pics

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJCTalon

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 20, 2009
Nebraska
Here is the a blog on my other TSi thats been on going for 2 years:http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/dsm-build-journals/430326-tjctalons-2gb-talon-build.html

I picked up this Talon for a fun little DD. I knew I wanted an Auto for 1. DDing my other talon with the stiff clutch wasnt fun. Its chattery and drivability isnt great for city, and 2. I have owned mostly 5 speed dsms and I know that with half as much stuff done the auto will be faster and more reliable.

This talon needed some work. The previous owner did a bunch of work all at once including link v3 with speed density. He had no tuning experience and the car ran like shit. I took the gamble and bought it with out a test drive. It had to be towed home.

As soon as I got it home I removed the sd and hooked up a spare 2g maf. Got a basic tune so it was driviable. I then did a compression test and removed the turbo to replace the gaskets. I also checked to make sure the turbo was truely a FP big t28. Found out the guy stripped out the bolts for the oil return.

Talon270.jpg

Talon271.jpg

Talon274.jpg

Talon275.jpg

The guy had blacked out the tail lights, and I dont care for that look at all so I swapped out some stock talon tail lights. I also installed a different boost and oil pressure gauge.

But the oil leak kept getting worse, and It needed to be fixed so last monday I tore off the oil pan and retapped for the next size up. I also did the gear oil in the T case and Rear end with shockproof while it was on the lift.

Since then I have been enjoing driving it. I love auto. I still have some issues to track down, the battery keeps drainig, door locks dont work (pretty sure those 2 are related) and the check engine light came on for a p0171 fuel bank 1 yesterday. So I have a few things to do.

twins.jpg

NewImage-1.jpg

Not too bad of a DD! I kind of like the black IC, looks good black on black. Is the coolant overflow just laying by the filter at all times? I noticed its in 2 locations in 2 pictures. Good looking find though!

That first picture with it on the filter was before I removed the cruise control. It now sits where the cruise control was

Ahhh, I see. Hope to see some progress soon, good luck man!

Update 11-26-12

Its been a while since an update. Kinda lost interest in the whole journal since no one seems interested in it. But anyways Ive done a few things since the last update.

I picked up a blown S16g and rebuilt it and ported it. I liked the t28 but it didnt have solid boost control, it would spike to 17 then drop down to 15-14 psi. Plus I needed the money for paying off bills.

16g.jpg

I picked up a evo 3 intake manifold because I loved the results of it on my other 2g. So one weekend I installed my evo3 intake and s16g all at once. The car already had a heat barrier gasket on it which is a big plus. Install went smooth, I learned a few tricks when doing the intake mani on my other car a while back so It went alot smoother. I also removed the AC as it wasnt working anyways

auto.jpg

auto2.jpg

On that note Im really in the need of an evo3 coil pack so if anyone has one please PM me

I also picked up a glowshif boost gauge and oil pressure gauge. The car didnt have any working oil pressure gauge even the stock one, so I needed to install these asap. I have tha A piller pod on my other talon, and I wanted to try the cluster one instead this time. I like it more I think. I also intalled blue LEDs for the gauge cluster. It looks pretty good

gauges.jpg

Other then that Ive mostly just been messing around with the tune. Im slowly getting better with link and its slowly starting to run better and better. Installed a boost controller and turned it up to 15 psi and its pretty fun for now.

I have the next turbo upgrade for it already. I picked up a Buschar racing bastard 20g on a rim trade from a local buddy. It was just rebuilt by Jusmx, and has a clipped tdo5h wheel. I picked up a PR o2 housing for real cheap and I already had a spare tial.

20g1.jpg

20g2.jpg

So along with the 950cc injectors I have it should be pretty fun. Im a tad worried about turning the boost up though, as it still has stock head studs. I will probably end up around 21 psi on pump gas.

I just ordered STMs auto trans cooler kit and roadsurge shift box today. Thats it for now

Small update

So Ive got what feels like alot done to the car since the post. I did a complete brake job, powerstop slotted and drilled rotors and pads and raybesto rear brakes. Also did new tie rod ends as well. Installed the Tokico blue shocks with tein springs to get rid of that big wheel gap that bothered me. Gave the car the perfect stance. I need to roll the rear fenders, I get rubbage on hard turns.

tokico_zpsacc4e8cd.jpg

I swapped out the S16g to an evo3 16g and put on my FP intake as well. Also got alot of good parts waiting to go on. Just need nice weather and some time to get everything done

Ebay radiator. I ran pretty hot in traffic during summer time so Im hoping that with this and a lower temp thermostat will fix it.

Talon303_zps4e9699b4.jpg

Also got some ARP headstuds, some oem parts like bolts and clips ect new OEM knock sensor and my roadsurge shift box!

Talon304_zps89e4b814.jpg

Also got the parts needed for my tranny cooler.

Talon305_zpsdb47b75f.jpg

I upgraded that 20g from earlier. The billet wheel thread had me itchin to try one so I picked up a Billet compressor wheel and swapped them out. For the price I absolutely love it. Also got new gaskets and a head to manifold bolt kit.

Talon306_zps994576aa.jpg

20gbillet_zpsee870f78.jpg

Last week me and a buddy got my FIC 950's installed and dialed in. Got some minor tuning done as I couldnt get the car to pass emissions. With his help I now have a good understanding of dsmlink and It passed with flying colors. Time to turn up the boost :)

d4ca9c74-6f01-49c3-9822-69f20fcec90c_zps2a9f79e9.jpg

Other then that I dont have much plan for the car other then getting some solid motor mounts for it and getting some tuning done. I have already started spending too much money on a car that is my dd so I really need to try and refrain. I do plan on taking it to the dragstrip this season. No goals set, except I dont break anything.

Everything looks good. Im gathering parts for a 95 TSI AWD auto build. First DSM and first turbo car. Im spending some money on the tranny. I got an IPT full rebuid kit, shift kit, and Kiggly flexplate. I want to do a cooler along with it so Ill be watching your journal. I am big on durability. I am in the air about goig with an Evo 3 or HX35 8 blade though. Anyway, thank a for the journal and good luck with it.

Update 4-3-13

I had a modified holset wg actuator for MHI turbos and I finally got it installed. With the heavily ported 34mm flapper and stock WG it couldnt hold more then 15psi before dropping boost. Now it holds a steady 20psi.

I got my forced four shift box and transmission temp gauge installed. I love the shift box.

No pictures yet, will get some updates soon

Update: 4-30-13

I got the 20g and Ext WG on a couple weeks ago. Also installed the solid transmission mount and solid front motor mount as well. Cleaned and painted my FP manifold and got those new exhaust manifold to head bolts on too. Removed the charcoal canister and dropped my battery down on the subframe.

NewImage-3_zps0724ece4.jpg

20g2-1_zps07a07bd8.jpg

20g_zpsd4127c71.jpg

Got the car tuned currently its at 20psi on pump 91. Car feels pretty strong. I dont know why it wont get up on the stall. I thought the 20g would pull through the brakes but the car builds 2-3psi and just sits there and does nothing. Its not a big deal, I wont hardly launch it. Its my daily and I stay out of boost and granny it 90% of the time. I am taking it to bandimere to see what it runs. But so far both the test n tunes have been canceled to weather so maybe next week weather will hold up and I can see what she does down the 1/4 mile.

Talon313_zpsa9b53617.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
awesome car man glad to see another auto out there. also only 2-3 psi while break boosting is pretty low. my mostly stock 1g can break boost 10 psi no problem with the stock auto ecu even. i really dont belive the whole ecu pulls timing when break boosting. my car launches just fine.

Update:

Well because the car wouldnt get up on the stall like I previously said I had to do the unthinkable. I down graded turbos. I had to put the evo 3 16g back on it. I thought about it long and hard but it made more sense for a daily driver to have a smaller faster spooling turbo. Just undid the v band from exhaust housing so it was a quick install.

I also bought the VRSF intercooler piping kit for it. The ETS piping fit like shit with the auto trans. Plus the BOV was hitting the transmission and there was nothing to do about it. The kit worked perfect with the ETS core, plug you get to see the pretty purple BOV.

Talon327_zps381c4e41.jpg

Talon328_zps132b21ce.jpg

Also switched over to e85. Holy cow I dont think I can go back to pump gas. My1gdsm tuned it at about 27 psi and this car screams.

Im going to the track this wednesday for the test n tune. Now that it builds 10+psi off the stall and the new found power of e85 Im hoping for 12's. My altitude hurts me a ton, only a few people that I know of have gone 12's on the 16g up here. ^ like my1997gsx above me.

Ill update this week with how that all goes.

Update:

I havnt really done much to the car. This update is mostly for whats soon to come to the car.

I did pick up a 2gb talon front bumper and had it repainted. I think its a worlds difference over the 2gb eclipse bumper. I still have the 2gb eclipse headlights with a bit of a gap on it. I need to take apart the spare set of headlights and black them out first.
Talon349_zps50ce5203.jpg

Talon350_zps189604f0.jpg

Other then maintance I havnt done much of anything. Car runs amazing, only thing that I cant stand at this point is the stock torque converter! But this should fix that issue
Talon334_zps778a17d1.jpg

Talon335_zps05740dc0.jpg

Stock restalled converter from IPT. Im affraid I probably wont be installing that until I finish the new engine thats going to be built soon. I have most of my main parts needed, just need some gaskets and bearings stuff. Just waiting on funds at this point.

Talon331_zps957ec2ce.jpg

Talon330_zpsaf315961.jpg

Talon341_zps4ad41b22.jpg

Talon340_zps664e0d6d.jpg

2.3 6 bolt stroker crank, manley H beams, Wiseco stroker pistons and ARP mains and head studs. Going to use kiggly main girdle as well.

Heres the canidate for the rebuild
Talon347_zpsffa1631c.jpg

Just a matter of time and money at this point. Im going to spare no expense on this build. I want this engine to hold 600 if I ever plan on pushing it that hard. Going to run this with a 2g head with GSC s2 cams and crower springs and of course it will be slighty ported as well.

Now I picked up a 7 blade HX35 for dirt cheap. Cleaned it up, got a BEP .70 t3 housing for it and had my buddy powder coat the compressor cover. I picked up a blown 7 blade Billet HX40 that I plan to rebuild and keep if I ever plan to go bigger. But for right now I will be running the HX35 and max that out.

Talon338_zpse5cf22bd.jpg

Talon339_zpse0135252.jpg

This is the HX40 picked up for 75 bucks and he even included a good billet 7 blade compressor wheel
Talon337_zpsf43ec5aa.jpg

So thats all I got now, Im pretty sure this car is going to turn into my track car only. I dont know what Im going to do with my 97 TSi track car, I kinda lost interest in it. I might turn it into the DD. But we will see.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back