The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

AT to MT Swap Info.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slow99eclipse

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 30, 2003
North_DakotaUS
I am wanting to switch my 99 GS (turbo) automatic over to a 5 spd. Has anyone done this yet ? How hard was it if so ? I plan on pulling my engine this winter to upgrade it so I figured I might as well swap the tranny too. Has anyone done the swap without removing the engine ? Also can you tell me everything I will need to buy ? I plan on getting must of the parts from a local junk yard ( from a donor Talon ). That will bolt right up, correct ? Please steer me in the right direction or sway me away totally if it's going to be a huge expense/too difficult. Thanks guys! TIM

5 speed 420A transmission
Transmission mount
Shift cables
ECU
Shifter
Master cylinder
Slave cylinder
Clutch fluid reservoir
Clutch Pedal assembly
Brake Pedal assembly
Shift boot
Shift knob
Clutch
Flywheel

Correct me if I'm missing anything. Not a 420A guy but my cousin just bought a complete swap kit from a guy in Miami who has a Mitsubishi graveyard. Everything listed above was what he got for $660. We're getting a new clutch instead of using the used one. I'll be helping my cousin with the swap. I guess if you're doing all the labor yourself it shouldn't cost that much. It also seems as if it would be better to take the engine out and drop everything back in together. We'll also be fixing a few oil leaks around the oil pan and replacing both axles.

...he'll also need to update his profile since he says he has a 99 GS (turbo)

I forgot the MT cluster too. AT cluster goes up to 8000 RPMs and the MT cluster goes up to 9000 RPMs so that will be needed as well. We figured this out today after checking over everything.

its probably not needed if you get the MT ECU, your not going to go past 8K, however it might be more asthetically pleasing if you do change it.

Good luck

Yeah, I guess you're right. It looked like CAPS was showing separate part numbers for each console, but I don't see why you couldn't just swap the shifter assemblies.

Huh?

A/Ts have tranny fluid coolers (since they have tranny fluid).
M/Ts do not (they only have gear lube/transaxle fluid).

The tranny fluid cooler is usually integrated in the radiator. When you switch to M/T, you won't need it anymore, so you'll just have to disconnect the lines leading to the radiator. You can cap them if you like, but there's no harm in leaving them open.

I'm sorry to bring back up an old thread, but i didn't want to start a new one since my question still pertains to this topic. so here we go...

i am in the middle of doing this A/T to M/T swap. i have almost everything installed. all thats left is to install the break pedal, clutch pedal, ECU, and Gauge Cluster. i am doing this swap on my 1995 Eclipse GS (420A A/T). i bought a totaled 1998 Eclipse RS (420A M/T) to be my donor car. i have taken everything i needed off this car. but i have run into a problem when i got to the ECU. i noticed that the ECU from the 98 Eclipse has a different connector than the ECU on my 95 Eclipse. so here is my qestion...

could i just splice the ECU connector from the 98 Eclipse into the Wire Harness of the 95 Eclipse? are the wire color combinations the same for the 1995 and the 1998?

i haven't really gone to into it, it just crossed my mind earlier. because i would rather take the time to splice every wire from the ECU Connector to the engine wire harness, than spend around $200 for an actual 1995 Eclipse M/t ECM ECU. i know its a shot in the dark, but Ive already spent alot of money to do this swap, so i would like to try to save as much money as i can.

any help would be great. thank you!

That's fine that you brought this thread back... that's why I stickied it, to be the single source of A/T-M/T swap information.

You can't swap a '98 ECU into a '95 car. Nor can you cut and splice the plugs since the ECUs have different pinouts. If you were really adamant about it, you could research how the pinouts differ, and cut and splice the plugs according to the '98 ECU pinout; but that'd be a huge mess, and most would agree it's just easier to find a '95 M/T ECU.

Nope...

Try looking on local forums, here, and 2GNT. They're hard to come by. Call up your local dealer too. I know I can get remanufactured ECUs here for about $255, but they might need a core, and your car's VIN (or a '95 M/T's VIN).

That's the best advice I can give... finding ECUs is always hit-or-miss.

VelocitàPaola;50464152 said:
Yeah, I guess you're right. It looked like CAPS was showing separate part numbers for each console, but I don't see why you couldn't just swap the shifter assemblies.

All you have to do is get the shifter base assembly and remove the A/T one. I know from when I did my swap.
-Chad

All you have to do is get the shifter base assembly and remove the A/T one. I know from when I did my swap.
-Chad

Edit: I dont know if the Gs is the same as Gs-T when it comes to the A/T fluid cooler. If it is the same, it doesnt use a radiator, but a air cooled cooler that can be removed.

yup, its not the same. the tranny fluid is cooled threw the radiator.

man i am getting pissed, i can not find a ECM anywhere. there is somone selling them on Ebay, but they are selling them for $300. there is no way im paying that much for one. i just need to find somone that is parting out a 1995 Eclipse GS M/T.:mad:

$300 is not an unreasonable price... you may have to face the facts soon if you want to finish your project.

5 speed 420A transmission
Transmission mount
Shift cables
ECU
Shifter
Master cylinder
Slave cylinder
Clutch fluid reservoir
Clutch Pedal assembly
Brake Pedal assembly
Shift boot
Shift knob
Clutch
Flywheel

Correct me if I'm missing anything. Not a 420A guy but my cousin just bought a complete swap kit from a guy in Miami who has a Mitsubishi graveyard. Everything listed above was what he got for $660. We're getting a new clutch instead of using the used one. I'll be helping my cousin with the swap. I guess if you're doing all the labor yourself it shouldn't cost that much. It also seems as if it would be better to take the engine out and drop everything back in together. We'll also be fixing a few oil leaks around the oil pan and replacing both axles.

So heres what Im planning haha since I sold the GSX I have had my eye on acouple 99 0Z editions, but cant find a damn one with a manual tranny. Luckily theres 2 black 99's with in 13 miles of me for sale one with black INT and the other with TAN so Ill pick one of those...even more lucky is the blown motor 95 N/T 5 speed for sale locally for 500 bucks.
My question is will this 95's manual "parts" all work on a 99 GS...I mean tranny and everything and lastly will I need to change over axles? Thanks guys. - Matt

VelocitàPaola;50401374 said:
He'll need a new center console for the interior too...

not necessarily, i just took the shift mechcanism, and boot from a manual car, and it worked fine. at least for me it did.

also, you'll need two tranny mounts, actually just the brackets. the driver's side mount bracket, and the firewall rear roll stopper bracket. hope this helps

:dsm:

My question is will this 95's manual "parts" all work on a 99 GS...I mean tranny and everything and lastly will I need to change over axles? Thanks guys. - Matt

A '95 M/T ECU won't work in a '99. Everything else should work. The axles from the A/T will work.

Don't forget to try to recover some money by parting out the rest of the donor vehicle.

A '95 M/T ECU won't work in a '99. Everything else should work. The axles from the A/T will work.

Don't forget to try to recover some money by parting out the rest of the donor vehicle.

Good deal thats what I wanted to know I think I might actually consider doing this thing. If I do Ill snag some pictures and other things for you guys to check out. Thanks again.

If you have any questions, let me know. I've been working on doing a write-up for this, but so far all I have completed is the parts required list and it is only about 90%. I have some pictures and did the swap about 4 months ago. So it's all still fairly fresh in my mind.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back