The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

GVR-4 Are my ECU capacitors and drivers fried (pics included)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeti-gvr4

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 23, 2010
san diego, California
So I haven’t started her up in a year but I’m puttin her back on the road as my daily driver again because I need a new vice for all my time...

I hooked everything back up and tried to fire her up but only cranking away.

So My guess was that the 3 year old gas is probably bad, but before I drain the gas and replace it, Thought I’d check my ecu out and see how the driver/capacitors were sittin, can definitely see some fry marks but need a second opinion and a recommendation where to send my ecu if it is infact in bad shape.

Attachments

• 3624A1A1-69C7-4DFB-ADDA-9D8EEBA614F4.jpeg
    3624A1A1-69C7-4DFB-ADDA-9D8EEBA614F4.jpeg
    280.3 KB · Views: 129
  • 75AF1E54-AD2F-4E9B-999F-6C574F6C0049.jpeg
    75AF1E54-AD2F-4E9B-999F-6C574F6C0049.jpeg
    360.7 KB · Views: 132
  • 04B63DA2-F85F-4EC9-A48E-559FC3B66F57.jpeg
    04B63DA2-F85F-4EC9-A48E-559FC3B66F57.jpeg
    339.3 KB · Views: 145
  • F08DC058-E240-4E3B-A232-A7191406A9C0.jpeg
    F08DC058-E240-4E3B-A232-A7191406A9C0.jpeg
    425.8 KB · Views: 152
Looks more like the ISC driver chip IC105 let out it's magic smoke and discolored the two resistors.

I've seen this cause a ECU to not work correctly before so the first question is does the ECU perform the normal power up behavior or not? If not you have your problem. In either case get it repaired and figure out if the ISC is bad or some wiring is shorted.

The factory service manuals cover testing and resistance to different drivers in the ecu.

If you have done soldiering before you could attempt your own repair and then test repairs by testing the driver plugs on the ecu before and after

If that sounds too in depth then you will need to send it off for repair

Looks more like the ISC driver chip IC105 let out it's magic smoke and discolored the two resistors.

I've seen this cause a ECU to not work correctly before so the first question is does the ECU perform the normal power up behavior or not? If not you have your problem. In either case get it repaired and figure out if the ISC is bad or some wiring is shorted.

So I got a loaner ecu and no difference at all, so then I drained the fuel system completely replaced fuel filter and bam she fired up, now she’s only running on two cylinders and the injectors are to blame ( I think ) because when I swap injectors to different cylinders the presumed failin injectors cause said cylinder to stop firing. Swapped my ecu back in and once again no difference. So my plan is to borrow some 1000cc injectors from my buddy so I can test to make sure that’s the problem before I send mine out? ( is that a good plan )

So now my question is also, my board needs work done regardless of how my car is running correct ? Those resistors look fried and I’m pretty sure I’m isc works as I can hear it, ( I’ll test it tho )

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back