The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1G Arc-2 install question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nuzzi

Proven Member
Jan 11, 2014
Torrington, Connecticut
I am installing an Arc-2 on my '91 using the 2g install kit. I have seen some threads stating the black box capacitor mounted to the outside of the coilpack needs to be disconnected, but no solid info on how it should be re-connected. Just clip the wires or splice it back somehwere? TIA.

Disconnect it and store it away. No need to reconnect it

I bet those articles you were refering to were talking about if you installed it on a '90 model. You have to rewire the tach adaptor (small black box) in a spot ahead of the Arc2 box so it doesn't fry it. It is only an issue on a '90 model tho.

I just got it installed earlier today, I modified the 2g bracket and mounted it next to the brake fluid reservoir. Turned out the wire to the black box on my coilpack was already broken inside the shielding, it makes me wonder if that was the reason I was having misfire issues prompting me to buy the arc-2 in the first place.

It should not have caused a misfire, unless the wire itself was shorting to ground. And that'd probably blow a fuse somewhere.

That capacitor just sits on the coil 12V line, and is there to reduce some electrical noise at the coil, when it fires. When hooked to a CDI, that 12V line may become ground, which is OK. Or it might become 500+ Volts, which might be too much voltage for the capacitor. So it is better to just remove it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back