1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Trouble Logging In or Staying Logged In?

CLEAR YOUR BROWSER COOKIES! More info about this can be found here. If you still have trouble after clearing your browser's cookies and cache, reply to that thread and tell us what browser you're using and what device you're using.

1G ARC-2 CDI Questions

Posted by RT-AWD, Sep 15, 2018 at 5:52 AM

Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. RT-AWD

RT-AWD Proven Member

Joined Apr 28, 2007
    Norristown, Pennsylvania
    Spark notes:
    Installed arc-2
    Tach not working
    Car breaks up really bad
    Its a 1991

Hello all,
    Last night i spent a solid 3 hours wiring up this CDI box to hopefully fix an occasional breaking up issue (spark blowout). I got everything wired correctly and noticed right away my tach wasnt working?! Figured, ah screw it lets go for a spin and see if the car performs better.. its MUCH worse. Car breaks up at about 15psi now (used to be at 25psi at around 6k). I have my setting on the box to crank, rising edge, and restrike.
    I did not use the launch control, timing retard, or tach wire. The diagrams didnt even show these and i have all that stuff (besides tach) setup on DSMLink, so i thought i didnt need them.
    What do i need to do? Also, i have a sparktech COP that i didnt put in.. would that be beneficial or no? Seen mixed opinions on COP with CDI

Attached Files:

My DSM:
  2. Boomdeeze

Boomdeeze Proven Member

Joined Jul 5, 2009
    Independence, Minnesota
    Check your ignition timing, I had to redo mine after I installed my ARC-2 or else it was missing.

My DSM:
    1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

Street Build

10.793 @ 128.98 MPH
  3. ChessmoDSM

ChessmoDSM Proven Member

Joined Apr 22, 2017
    Burlington, Vermont
    I have actually heard the opposite, COP without CDI does not run the best, CDI combined with COP however is really good, that is what I currently run in mine..

4. 19gsx91

19gsx91 Proven Member

Joined Apr 20, 2011
    Walworth, New York
    ARC 2 compliments a COP setup, mine ran pretty smooth until some wires wore bare and started arcing. I'm running the ARC-2 hooked up to the stock coil and its working pretty good for me, did idle a bit smoother with COP but that's about it. I can't remember what mine is set it. if the tach isn't working its because that small tach adapter box is bad.. if you did any searching you'd notice that's the first thing people complain about.

My DSM:
    1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

Street Build

292 whp   264 lb/ft
  5. brads

brads DSM Wiseman

Joined Oct 24, 2002
    Alta Loma, California
    Did you use the install harness that was designed for DSMs? It looks like you didn't, since you posted that wiring diagram.

The install harness is designed to give a tach signal back to the PTU, so that the tach works correctly. If you don't use the install harness, you have to wire the tach output from the ARC-2 in as well.

Do you have a timing light? I suspect you have something miswired on the install. This should be obvious when you try to check your timing.

My DSM:
    1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

Street Build

manual
    SAKJR likes this.
  6. RT-AWD

RT-AWD Proven Member

Joined Apr 28, 2007
    Norristown, Pennsylvania
    All, so an update, i installed the wrong harness. Last night i got the new correct harness and installed it. Tach is now working and car runs better however still hitting what feels like fuel cut at 20psi and building and about 6k rpm. I didnt remove the little black box capaciter on the coilpack and havent put in the COP yet. Im going to put in the COP and see if it improves.

Settings are
    Restrike
    Crank
    Rising edge
    Rpm limiter i have off and timing ret i have off
    All this i have setup on dsmlink

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018 at 12:26 PM
    My DSM:
  7. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    I would shut the restrike off, mine ran like crap with it on.

My DSM:
    1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST

Drag Race Build

GT42   manual