The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

anyone running hood exit exhaust

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

It would. But itd have to be raining really hard to make it all the way to the turbine. Like really hard. Its going to either be blown out or if water does manage to touch metal its evaporating instantly. Would def not have it out in the rain with engine off though. That would rust and cause possible damage to a couple things.

Looks bad ass. Wish i had the balls to do that. Im just planning on dumping mine to the ground as well as wastegate. 3" vband.

edit: beansblacktsi, i stand corrected.

I've personally been considering installing a top fender dump pipe and waste gate tube. I like the look and functionality of it, but on a 2g body I think a fender exit would look better.

Thoughts?

I have had an idea for my car I'm building... It may seem like a lot, but I don't mind.... Just curious about one thing....

So, my car will be street driven often.. custom made downpipe with wideband o2 welded after flex section. Not going to run a factory o2, going to use narrowband simulation.

What I want to be able to do is have and extra hood and make an hood exit exhaust for when I go to the track.

My question is, once the car is tuned, do I have to keep the o2 in even with the hood exit exhaust?

I have had an idea for my car I'm building... It may seem like a lot, but I don't mind.... Just curious about one thing....

So, my car will be street driven often.. custom made downpipe with wideband o2 welded after flex section. Not going to run a factory o2, going to use narrowband simulation.

What I want to be able to do is have and extra hood and make an hood exit exhaust for when I go to the track.

My question is, once the car is tuned, do I have to keep the o2 in even with the hood exit exhaust?

Yes, since you have it on "narrowband sim" it basically replaces your factory o2. If you just pull your factory o2 you will throw a cel and the car will run like deuce down your leg... sloppy....

Don't be weak. If you can replace the o2 with a wideband and program it to run in narrowband, then you can weld in a bung to swap the same sensor in a different exhaust housing. The sensor doesn't care what its screwed in to, its just there for information to the ecu. If you cut it out, what happens?

And just curious, why do you have the sensor so far down stream if you are simulating a sensor that is meant to be 4" from the turbo? Usually people that keep the factory o2 (like myself) run the wb signal that far down. Makes no sense if you are replacing a sensor that's much closer...

Build your street exhaust and your 2' section of pipe out the hood with the sensor in the recommended orientation from the factory.

Just curious but at certain speeds, wind direction and wind speed couldn't exhaust make its way into the cabin, especially with the windows down and sun roof open? Even occasionally in small amounts over time surely will cause health concerns. Maybe its just me though.. Bit of a hypochondriac I guess :rolleyes:

Just curious but at certain speeds, wind direction and wind speed couldn't exhaust make its way into the cabin, especially with the windows down and sun roof open? Even occasionally in small amounts over time surely will cause health concerns. Maybe its just me though.. Bit of a hypochondriac I guess :rolleyes:

I'm sure with landspeeds setup it goes.... idle, exhaust smell, floored, gone.... then you smell the rabbit turds in your seat when you let off.

I've had a couple side exit 4x4's, one dumped at the headers with two mini glass packs... and the 4x4's I was driving were traveling relatively slow. Youd get a whiff of fumes every now and again, but I wasn't out of the vehicle puking or passing out, if that's what you're getting at.

Thanks Breezio... Very well put and exactly what I needed to know. Will definitely make life easier and makes tons of sense having it closer to the turbo

Fumes really aren't an issue. I got caught in a traffic jam Friday morning, left the sun roof open and windows down. Conveniently, hot gasses are less dense and tend to rise, that combined with the stack shooting straight up means I get very little.

The only "downside" is the occasional puff of condensation on cold starts when atmospheric conditions.

How are you guys not getting pulled over? I know here in TX you have to have a catalytic convertor unless your car is 30 years or older. 25 years or older allows you to skip the sniffer during inspection.

I just think the cops would be really interested in any car that sounds like this. Of course we have cars where people don't fix their junky ass busted exhaust leaks that probably sound "about the same" to the untrained ear. :D

They probably live in a place like Kansas. Here in Kansas were lucky enough not to have emissions. :p

However, we do have some noise restrictions. Cops will pull you over for ripping through a residential neighborhood after dark. I got a ticket for noise pollution when I had my downpipe removed.

And thanks for the answers on the fumes. I used to have a 1978 bronco 351 with the exhaust cutoff mid way and sometimes got a good whiff of exhaust

OBD1 cars are exempt from emissions in Chicago, surprisingly.

Kev - So far I've got about 1100 street miles on the car this year including many times idling in traffic next to police and none seem to care.

A turbine wheel makes for a decent muffler. My previous setup with a 3" open downpipe under the car was much louder.

Eli - Best I can do, it's cramped in there LOL This is taken looking up from the OFH, Pre-FMIC pipe in the way.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
in regards to fumes and CO poisoning, you would probably get the same amount from sitting in traffic for any extended period of time. i live in a rural area so i get a decent cleansing from fumes regularly. i wouldnt worry about CO poisoning unless youre in it 20 out of 24 hours a day.

I've been playing with the idea of hood or bumper exit exhaust for a while. Love the pic's people have posted. I'm running just off the O2 housing and its bloodly loud during city driving, I just want to ditch some weight.

I've been playing with the idea of hood or bumper exit exhaust for a while. Love the pic's people have posted. I'm running just off the O2 housing and its bloodly loud during city driving, I just want to ditch some weight.

"running off the o2 housing"? As in, no pipe at all just an o2 housing? If that were the case i'd be worried about quite a few things other than the noise it makes. I'm probably misunderstanding and you have a pipe dumped out the bottom so its not pushing exh gas up against the radiator and fmic pipe.

As in no down pipe at all, right off the O2 housing. I was pulling the tran's so much I just left the exhaust off. The exhaust gases just hit the front cross member for the front role stop and that's about it. Just makes a god awful racket with backfiring on de-acceleration.
I have yet to put my front mount on so that's why I've left it thus far.

As in no down pipe at all, right off the O2 housing. I was pulling the tran's so much I just left the exhaust off. The exhaust gases just hit the front cross member for the front role stop and that's about it. Just makes a god awful racket with backfiring on de-acceleration.
I have yet to put my front mount on so that's why I've left it thus far.

That has to be cooking the crap out of your alternator. I was running an external dump that I had to modify due to LICP clearance and started to melt the wires going to the alternator in short order. A friend of mine actually melted the bottom of his radiator doing the exact same thing.

That has to be cooking the crap out of your alternator. I was running an external dump that I had to modify due to LICP clearance and started to melt the wires going to the alternator in short order. A friend of mine actually melted the bottom of his radiator doing the exact same thing.
I'm changing it up as soon as I get my engine and tran back in, I've made a 2 foot long 3 inch dump pipe that shoots the exhaust behind the engine and to the drivers side away from the t-case. Probably help with keeping the bay cleaner.....getting tired of re-cleaning the whole bay all the time haha

where are you guys running your widebands too? I'm very interested in doing this setup if someone could post a pic that would be great! I'm going to be mounting a 2.5" pipe for the exhaust with a 90 out of the hood off of the o2 housing and a 1.75 pipe for the waste gate dump also with a 90 though the good and want to know where to mount the o2 sensor for the wideban let me know please!

On the pipe you have connected to the turbine outlet, just like a regular exhaust. The sensor sometimes tend to act strange at cruising speed/idle being real close to the tip, I guess due to reversion. If you had problems there, I suppose you could always run it in open loop.

I've always heard the sensor should be 10 exhaust diameters from the tip. Obviously that's impossible if your exhaust is 2.5" diameter and 10" long.

They probably live in a place like Kansas. Here in Kansas were lucky enough not to have emissions. :p

However, we do have some noise restrictions. Cops will pull you over for ripping through a residential neighborhood after dark. I got a ticket for noise pollution when I had my downpipe removed.

And thanks for the answers on the fumes. I used to have a 1978 bronco 351 with the exhaust cutoff mid way and sometimes got a good whiff of exhaust

No amount of fumes are good for your lungs take it from a Firefighter. The fumes are sticking to your clothes and contaminating the inside of your car. On a side note the windows being open and air moving about the drivers cab fixes most of the problems

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back