The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

anyone running hood exit exhaust

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbojo

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 10, 2011
hazel green, Alabama
anyone running hood exit exhaust im thinking about running hood exit on my 20g 1g and I want to see some pics of how other people did it

anyone running hood exit exhaust im thinking about running hood exit on my 20g 1g and I want to see some pics of how other people did it

Check out Landspeed-DSM car he's running hood exit exhaust it look's badass. IMO I wouldn't do it unless your building a full race car. If you plan on driving it on the street a lot it will be super loud and annoying. Just my opinion.

Check out Landspeed-DSM car he's running hood exit exhaust it look's badass. IMO I wouldn't do it unless your building a full race car. If you plan on driving it on the street a lot it will be super loud and annoying. Just my opinion.

Race car meaning drag car right? Racing wont allow this out the hood or anywhere near the front wheels. But drag racing will so just making sure race car is not thrown around and you specify.

But yes there are a few that have done the hood exhaust exit but i would not advise it if you tend to drive on the streets, side exit yes thats ok for the streets and is very loud. But why you want this though? Your only going ti be running a 20g turbo so i doubt you will gain much from doing this apart from making noise and loosing a few kg of weight,

You might consider a cutout section instead in the DP. But until we why what your reasons for doing this are for we are just going to give our opinions.

Yea it's gonna be a drag car but I do drive it on the street some but I live in Alabama with all the toothless rednecks in straight piped z71's I don't think the police will even notice me

Here's a few, let me know if you had anything in mind that would be more helpful:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Right when I got everything back from ceramic coating.

Mostly assembled in the bay, missing a few sensors but gets the point across

Exterior up close

Farther away for orientation..

Just curious if there would be any gains from doing that.

Indeed, there are.. the shortest path to atmosphere is best on a turbo application. Ideally you would keep it as straight as possible, using a plain O2 housing flange and matching it to the turbine housing and weld a v-band on for both the turbine discharge and the wastegate. Then using an exhaust cone or concentric reducer:
Concentric Reducers - 304L Stainless - Butt-Weld Fittings - Ace Stainless Supply

To make a smooth transition out to as much as a full inch more in diameter for the downpipe.

You will greatly increase not only the efficiency of the turbo but your engines ability to breathe. Quicker spool for more power across the board, decreased drive pressure from the drop in backpressure will allow more overlap in your cam timing, raises knock threshold, greater whp/psi boost ratio, etc.

These are not just my opinions, these are fact ;)

Yeah some people do run their pipes straight out the hood on here. I can't remember who right now but it's bad ass.

Thanks! The hood exit gets mixed reviews, most are positive and most of the negative are from non-car folks.

Sometimes made for funny/awkward moments like in april when I was wearing a shop shirt while wrenching when it was in a buddies shop for fab and a delivery guy was ripping on it as "### honda shit" thinking I was an employee. Let him go for a few minutes laughing with him before telling him I chose to do it for functionality not looks.. some epic backpedaling ensued.

Being nearly a foot taller and over 100lbs on the dude, he got pretty sheepish. ROFL

In use.. its not much if any louder than open downpipe exiting anywhere else. In addition to some soot it throws a decent flame from both gates and the big pipe under boost, as well as a light show when getting off the throttle :cool:

[ame=http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TuMJjyyCUZM]1989 Mitsubishi Mirage 2-step - YouTube[/ame]

This was before everything was finished and trimmed to fit. But you get the idea. Oh yeah, street driven as well.

Mines been out the hood for a couple years now. I think there are some pics of it on my build thread "stealing 14b record". I started out with a pte 6262 out the hood. The anti lag at night was really cool with the flames.

How many guys have done this with a electric dump switch, using a y pipe flange?

My plan is to run a fender exit exhaust, and a full exhaust for street driving. I'm going to be welding in a y pipe for my dump switch. Will be able to maintain regular city driving as well as drag racing with this setup. Just curious how others have done this.

Love the hood exit idea as well.

When I had my last colt, it had a 4" fender exit exhaust as well. No cut out. Street driven as well. There is video of it if you go to you tube and look up biglady112. If you are doing stuff like this, you probably have a serious car and don't care about the noise or the law.

Mi"sma;153318869 said:
How many guys have done this with a electric dump switch, using a y pipe flange?

My plan is to run a fender exit exhaust, and a full exhaust for street driving. I'm going to be welding in a y pipe for my dump switch. Will be able to maintain regular city driving as well as drag racing with this setup. Just curious how others have done this.

Love the hood exit idea as well.

I'm setup to run a "street pipe" down under the car as well. Just haven't bothered finishing it.

The bezel the DP sticks through on the hood is made to have a delete plate bolted on, leaving only the wastegate dumps sticking through.

Honestly the turbine is a pretty good muffler and compared to open DP under the car reflecting off a solid surface if may even be slightly quieter through the hood just radiating up and away.

And cover your windshield in soot + collect rainwater.

Oh good, the only engineer on the interwebs has arrived! As far as rainwater is concerned, not only do I have a nice stack hat but I've got a garage to park in and two other cars I can drive in disagreeable weather.

Regarding soot, it's no more inconvenient than cleaning bugs off the windshield. For which science has graced us with methanol and squeegee technology.

By any chance- could the mystical 3586HTA, peace be upon them, have prevented any of this? LOL

Regarding soot, it's no more inconvenient than cleaning bugs off the windshield. For which science has graced us with methanol and squeegee technology.

Ammonia works better for getting off bugs. That's what car washes use.

Not once have we ever had any soot issues on three different cars. Actual experience here.

I would think if you're blowing a lot of soot you've got tune issues anyway. I'm not sure that rich under load would do it either considering the wind speed passing the exhuast exit at that point.

Honestly the turbine is a pretty good muffler and compared to open DP under the car reflecting off a solid surface if may even be slightly quieter through the hood just radiating up and away.

I have seen this in person with hood exit cars. They seem to be quieter than straight piped cars, and I was blown away the first time I heard one.

I don't see any reason to be concerned about rain water unless you're getting 10 inches in a day or something. It's the exhaust, it's going to get crazy hot and evaporate it all anyway. I guess it could lead to slightly faster turbine housing corrosion, :hmm:.

I doubt much soot will actually gather on the window, considering the exhaust is going up until you're moving rather quickly. I'd be more concerned about the high speed air messing with exhaust flow before I worried about anything else, ahhaha.

My friend Joe (MachineGunSquad here) has hood exit wastegates, and they're awesome! hahaha, after it rains they will blow a little water out, oh well ;)

That actually looks really cool :hellyeah:

Here's a few, let me know if you had anything in mind that would be more helpful:

Right when I got everything back from ceramic coating.

Mostly assembled in the bay, missing a few sensors but gets the point across

Exterior up close

Farther away for orientation..

Indeed, there are.. the shortest path to atmosphere is best on a turbo application. Ideally you would keep it as straight as possible, using a plain O2 housing flange and matching it to the turbine housing and weld a v-band on for both the turbine discharge and the wastegate. Then using an exhaust cone or concentric reducer:
Concentric Reducers - 304L Stainless - Butt-Weld Fittings - Ace Stainless Supply

To make a smooth transition out to as much as a full inch more in diameter for the downpipe.

You will greatly increase not only the efficiency of the turbo but your engines ability to breathe. Quicker spool for more power across the board, decreased drive pressure from the drop in backpressure will allow more overlap in your cam timing, raises knock threshold, greater whp/psi boost ratio, etc.

These are not just my opinions, these are fact ;)

Thanks! The hood exit gets mixed reviews, most are positive and most of the negative are from non-car folks.

Sometimes made for funny/awkward moments like in april when I was wearing a shop shirt while wrenching when it was in a buddies shop for fab and a delivery guy was ripping on it as "### honda shit" thinking I was an employee. Let him go for a few minutes laughing with him before telling him I chose to do it for functionality not looks.. some epic backpedaling ensued.

Being nearly a foot taller and over 100lbs on the dude, he got pretty sheepish. ROFL

In use.. its not much if any louder than open downpipe exiting anywhere else. In addition to some soot it throws a decent flame from both gates and the big pipe under boost, as well as a light show when getting off the throttle :cool:

Just a thought, but unless it is POURING, wouldn't a little rain actually keep the turbine housing clean-er? I mean, while running with hot exhaust comming out, any droplets that enter would become "steam" and in a way, "steamclean" the exhaust/turbine???

Correct me if I'm wrong... Just thinking out loud....

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back