1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Trouble Logging In or Staying Logged In?

CLEAR YOUR BROWSER COOKIES! More info about this can be found here. If you still have trouble after clearing your browser's cookies and cache, reply to that thread and tell us what browser you're using and what device you're using.

General Any have experience with Link ECU?

Posted by Turshin, Nov 9, 2018

Please Support Ace Race Parts
  1. Turshin

Turshin Probationary Member

Joined Oct 27, 2018
    Romulus, Michigan
    Hi everyone im new to the dsm community. I just purchased a 91 GST thats currently getting the head rebuilt. Traded my running 98 Neon RT for the GST with low compression on one of the cylinders, with an 18 year old kid that could barely afford to maintain the car so he was all too happy for me to take it off his hands. I pick the car up and took it straight to the tuner/mechanic for a complete rundown of any issues the car may have. I wanted to also get some tuning done while the car was there. And thats when i found out that earlier that day ECM Link stopped selling their kits. My tuner/mechanic suggested Link plug and play ECU. So i did my search and i came up with nothing in reguards to ppl using them in DSM's other than they sponsored the shootout this year. What i want to know is have any of you used Link ECU? If so in what platform. They look to have been around a while but seen new to the DSM platform. Also what other tuning solutions would you guys suggest other than MS? Thanks in advance.

My DSM:

Featured Products from our Supporting Vendors

2. Vegas smith

Vegas smith Proven Member

Joined Dec 2, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    My DSM:
    1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

GT30   manual
    1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (sold)

16g   manual
  3. OH91awd

OH91awd Proven Member

Joined Sep 22, 2011
    chillicothe, Ohio
    ive seen whalen speed using link stuff with great success in dsms as well as nathan chrisman from performance partout. we also have haltech that can be used as a plun and play. theres guys switching over to fueltech as well.

My DSM:
    1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Drag Race Build

10.89 @ 125.67 MPH
    1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (sold)

Street Build

GT35   manual
  4. 1990TSIAWDTALON

1990TSIAWDTALON Moderator

Joined Nov 14, 2013
    Independence, Kansas
    My oldest son's 97 Talon has a Whalen Speed Link Ecu set up by John himself. It has all kinds of inputs available for various sensors and such for those that need more than ECMLink has. It IS more complicated but very cool. You can ad all kinds of fail safes to it for protection.

My DSM:
    1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

14b   automatic
    1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

13.620 @ 108.460 MPH
    1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

13.612 @ 107.760 MPH
  5. Turshin

Joined Oct 27, 2018
    Romulus, Michigan
    So what youre saying is the Link ECU has more options that ECM link?

My DSM:
  6. OH91awd

OH91awd Proven Member

Joined Sep 22, 2011
    chillicothe, Ohio
    yes. theres more output option to utilize different sensors to monitor anything you want to keep an eye on.

My DSM:
    1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Drag Race Build

10.89 @ 125.67 MPH
    1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (sold)

Street Build

GT35   manual
    1990TSIAWDTALON likes this.
  7. Turshin

Joined Oct 27, 2018
    Romulus, Michigan
    What brand is the most used after ECM Link? I dont want to run into the same problem i have with my 89 tbird sc. Only one guy in the nation van tune it. He's good but hes also over 3 hours away. At first it didnt bother me being that the Supercoupe isnt a very popular car but, now its annoying.

My DSM:
  8. Turshin

Joined Oct 27, 2018
    Romulus, Michigan
    Just trying to get agood idea of what most ppl are using. Again thank you any and all imput

My DSM:
  9. jinscho

jinscho Proven Member

Joined Jun 16, 2017
    Bangor, Pennsylvania
    Nate at Performance Partout uses Link ECU and is also a reseller. He just recently became a Haltech partner and started to transition to their platform since Haltech agreed to make custom wiring looms, but other than the ease of plug and play usage with the custom looms, Link could do everything the Haltechs could.

My DSM:
    1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder N/T

Street Build

manual
    Turshin likes this.
  10. Turshin

Joined Oct 27, 2018
    Romulus, Michigan
    Cool thanks ill check them out

My DSM:
  11. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    Link is terrific, the forums and support alone are second to none, as others have said its a full standalone solution with a ton of input and output options and can be bought in wire in or plug and play variety's, if you want to you can download the user interface for free and play with it and see if its something you would be comfortable using and browse the forums also. There are alot of fast cars out there running it, they have been around for years, previously sold as "Vipec" it recently came under new management and transitioned to "Link" the "Vipec" name is now used for their motorsports line of ecu's.

My DSM:
    1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST

Drag Race Build

GT42   manual
    Turshin likes this.
  12. Turshin

Joined Oct 27, 2018
    Romulus, Michigan
    Thanks for all your help guys. Have to make a decision now between the Link ECU and Haltec. Kiwi or aussie LOL. The goal for the car is a daily drivable 500+ pump gas hp grand tourer. Coming from a modded and dead reliable RT Neon. I beat the snot out of that car and took it like a champ. Through all of my hooning, 1600 mile road trips from Detroit to Atlanta, and multiple Michigan winters, it never left me stranded. I know if i want that same level of reliability with a turbo car, i need to be able to easily monitor EVERYTHING. Again thanks guys for all your support. Proud now to be apart of the DSM nation.

My DSM: