The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Antifreeze in Spark Plug hole. HELP

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

92talontsibryce

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 15, 2008
Little Elm, Texas
Ok well today i was pulling the spark plugs to do a compression test. When i pulled the third spark plug wire it was full of antifreeze. I just replaced the headgasket b/c thats what i thought the problem was. I guess i was wrong. What could be causing this?

Thanks for any help in advance,
Bryce

did you have your head checked while it was of for warp and pressure test ,and is everthing torqued to spec ,my arp bolts had to be retorqued ,I also had coolant in #3 and # 4 new head gasket and problem went away .

Yeah while the head was off i had it tested and resurface. There was onle antifreeze in the third cylinder that i noticed. Should i rip the head back off and see if the head gasket is on the wrong way or just retorque my head studs.

Whoa back up a bit. You are saying that you have antifreeze in the spark plug hole? Not in the cylinder right? unless the head is cracked it can't get there from a blown head gasket. It would have to go in the cylinder the somehow get through the spark plug which if they are in tight it can't happen or through the gasket in the vale cover for the spark plugs. If it was that you would have oil mixing with it. I would look for a top side water leak that is spraying into the spark plug galley.

Yes there is antifreeze in the spark plug hole. so where should i check for a leak. The spark plugs are in tight and to me this reallydoes not make sense.

At first this is what i thought was happening. some how antifreeze was getting into the cylinder and as the pressure built up it pushed the antifreeze through the spark plug and into the spark plug hole. I really have no idea how this is happening.

Has anyone else had this promblem?

sounds like what was said above. cracked head...i dont think even with a blown gasket it could get there it wouldnt be able to get past the plug....

This sucks. Ok so it loos like i have a crack in my cylinder head somewhere. I just took this stupid thing to get tested and resurfaced why didnt they find this. Ok well looks like im in the market for a new cylinder head.

If any one else have any ideas please tell me what you think.

Thanks,
Bryce

Has to be a cracked head unless the coolant system is being pressurized and somehow doing what its doing. Does it have a lot of white smoke out the exhaust? Is the radiator hoses really hard after driving it up to temperature?

No after i drive the car i am actually low on antifreeze. This is my project car and when i started it for the first time the other day it smoked white smok really bad but after running the car for a little bit it doesnt smoke at all. Now the car starts fine and doesnt smoke at all so it just had to wrk its self out i think.

So my conclusion is still a cracked head. anyone else please chime in.

Thanks,
Bryce

fill it back up with antifreeze but usually it will keep smoking white....odd...

A cracked head won't put it there either unless for some strange reason it is cracked right in the plug well. I would look top side for a coolant leak that is spraying coolant into the top of the spark plug well. Check your hoses near the valve cover one might have a pin hole in it. Also if you have a old set of spark plug wires laying around cut the lip from around the boot where they seal up the spark plug well. Install them then start the car and see if you can see where it is coming from. If you have or know someone with a radiator pressure tester try that also.

Man i wih you would have posted that last weekend. bc i already took the head off and im waiting for the new one to come in the mail. Well if it is still happening with the new head installed i will try cutting the top of a old spark plug wire and watch it to see where the antifreeze is comin from.

anyone else have any advice thanks,
bryce

you said that the coolant was in on the piston ,so the problem would have to be a gasket failure ,did the car overheat while driving after about 20 min,s ,also when you turn on your a/c did it get hot faster .when mine overheated it put white smoke out the exhaust ,after that my #3 /#4 had coolant on the pistons .once I pulled the head of and put on a new gasket ,no more coolant .since you got the head off ,why don,t you check your block to see if it is warped or got low spots in it .there is a post on here on how to do it .good luck

Actually no the antifreeze was where you would put the spark plug not in the cylinder. but in the place where you take the spark plug in and out. Im pretty sure its not the head gasket bc i just replaced it with a 4 layer metal one and threw some arp's in there to. I got the head resurfaced at a local shop so i know the head is not warped. But i did not check the block to see if that was warped. i heard that it is really hard to warp these blocks but how can i check?

Thanks,
Bryce

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back