The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Another one bites the dust

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lasershark

Proven Member
May 17, 2013
over yander, Idaho
So it's said to say that another clean 2gb has bitten the dust. 92 gsx 6/4 is now trash. Chick was at a yield left turn lane (flashing yellow on her side) my side was green but turned yellow just before I entered the intersection, so she pulled right out in front of me, literally had no time to hit my breaks. I'm hoping the motor is still good, the front mount obviously is only worth it's weight now, just got out of the hospital. But good news, besides being sore everywhere nothing is broken. It did break my back window too, the power steering fluid in my trunk came through the window and landed in front of my car.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
Pretty pissed off, she then tried to say it was my fault and her light was green, but luckily for me three witness's stepped up and she eventually told the truth at the end. I was side by side with a newer dodge pickup truck, he got lucky because I took the slam. But he drove off so that was cool.

I'll have to take more pics in the morning, the ones I have are too large for the server to process?

Sad moment for dsm. Glad and lucky you ok. I hard to be aware of the unaware. She saw your light turn yellow and she jumped think you slow and stop at light. Is playing roulette and came at a lost of a car. She at fault. Are there cameras at that light?
Hopefully not and they go just on witness statements. Laywers always try to flip stories. Get better and see what can salvage out car. The important thing is that you walk out alive.

Just save yourself the hassle, dont post up anything about your condition and simply retain an attorney. You WILL get stiffed by her insurance co. If you're ok with getting 2 grand for that car then dont bother with the lawyer but if you want what its actually worth then you are going to have to fight a little. In the end, it will be WELL worth the wait. What's 6 months? Versus 1 month and a check that wont buy you a decent turbo setup let alone a whole clean, rare 2gb! I speak from experience. In my youth i got screwed over in a very similar situation. In April i was hit. Did not make the same mistake and have representation this time.

All that said, so sad to see your car like that. i know its a bummer. Glad you're ok though, these cars probably have a zero star front crash test rating LOL, so you are doing well brother!

I was just asking people what to do, never been in a wreck like this. Good thing she had a push bumber on her jeep, that hurt. The wife looked her up and she has so many tickets, mostly speeding and some inattentive driving, and then mine, failure to yield. I have my 92 talon in the avitar but it has bad rings, so I want the engine from the eclipse just not sure how this all works. We have the same insurance company.

There are cameras but they don't use them for traffic accidents.

Last edited:
man that sucks glad to see your good though hate to see that for the dsm population though these cars are dwendling and getting harder to get ahold of hope the salvage goes good for u though

Thanks guys, I know not a lot of people know about how much these cars mean to people like us.[DOUBLEPOST=1412470733][/DOUBLEPOST]Has anybody ever bought a car back from insurance? How much did it cost, and what was the process?

Last edited:
Yes you can deal with the Insurance Company and if they total out the car you may be able to buy it off them as a Salvage/Rebuilt title since the car most likely is frame damaged etc. Then you can swap all the parts you want and sell whats good left and scrap for metal. It may be even less than $1200 to buy it from them, they will go buy the low book price not all the add ons Im pretty sure.

There is a guy who sadly suffered the same fate. ( On this site ) he documented how he dealt with it and in the end, had a new shell with the parts from the wrecked car, he is a member from Alaska with a 1G. It also happened to jaX maybe message her for advice.

"Women, destroying DSM's more than crankwalk, ball joints and pun bearing combined."

Dude, if she was at fault and was cited, PM me if you don't want to get screwed. I'm working with a guy right now who's 97 GS-T was totaled out and we have already got the ins co up a grand over their initial offer, and I think there is another $500-$1000 we can get out of them.

The Ins company will try to screw you, and there won't be much you can do about it if you don't know what you are doing.

I urge you to read this thread.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/another-one-bites-the-dust.459620/

Glad you're alive at least, but do think the motor is toast.

When the motor take a sudden stop like that from being above the idle rpm, it's called, in aviation terms, "prop check" where the motor suddenly stop from an outside source.

It just tears things up inside real bad along with the transmission. It'll head to a crusher after body parts are taken off.

I feel your pain man wrecks like that are extremely traumatic and most people don't understand the kind of time and money most of us have into our cars. I was victim to a drunk driver in a very similar situation actually. I was going straight and lady cuts in front of me to turn left. I swerved and she basically tboned me.

Anyway, the best thing is that you are ok and can build another clean dsm. Im sorry you have to go through this crap too, but eventually you will get over it. Btw buy back for me was scrap value which ended up being like $180. Be sure to clearly state that you would like to buy the car back too or they will auction it off.

I just talked to a insurance lady she said she wanted to send a tow truck to come and get it since she's sure it will be totaled out, I said, "since I want to keep the car, I would prefer it stays at my house". She said that's fine with her because they won't be paying storage fees.

A claim guy is supposed to be coming by this week.

Last edited:
As far as the medical part goes wait a week before dealing with insurance over your pain. Usually takes a day or 2 till after wreck for all pain to set in. I was a passenger in my buddies 1g and he hit a wall goin about 85. I had severe whiplash and broken arm. They tried to give me 300 at first. Then i got 3000 out of them after a couple weeks.

your prolly not gunna get anything for mods unless u have recepts and they will only give u a percentage. Like the one dude said maybe get a lawyer get some pain and suffering ouya it. And both my prelude and mx6 buyback was only a couple hundo

Recent mods may net you 10%...maybe. as for medical, lawyers will Fk u. But I would absolutely recommend opening a medical claim. Pain/issues can occur after a few days. But a medical claim doesn't have too much to do with your vehicles loss. 2 separate departments. I wouldn't discuss too much of the case on a public forum until after its all settled. I would recommend if you do, speaking in generalities and not details.

True, don't sign any release that you're okey. Take it all the way to the offender's insurance company.

Moons ago, I got horribly rear-ended where my small car (a 1982 Dodge Colt) was sandwiched between the guy in a big FORD F-250 to ran into me doing 40mph while I was dead stopped in traffic.

That hit slammed me into the family in front of me and injured the kids in the back seat since they were not buckled down and the kids flipped over the back seat and shattered out the back window.

That was one hell of a hit I took !

Obviously to say, my car was totalled, I had pulled ligaments in my neck (which I can still feel that accident to this day) due to the hard whiplash that I experienced when my head slammed into the headrest. I signed no release papers and was visiting my doc for neck injuries and the bill was heading to that guy's insurance for a good number of years afterwards.

I'm sure the father of the family sued the F-250 driver for the injury done to his children.

but luckily for me three witness's stepped up and she eventually told the truth at the end
Kind of a bad mistake here on her side, for did she admit guilt to the police?

When you're in an accident, NEVER and I do say NEVER admit fault, or blame to the other.
Let the police determine that final judgement.
Just get the insurance papers ready for the police to get down the info...and let the court make the final decision.

-DSM

Last edited:
Good info given out, especially the point that injury and vehicle loss are totally separate. Almost all insurance agents from the offender will try to offer you an initial package to settle that may seem like it is open ended but do not sign that crap even if it still is your same company! You need to very carefully read over each agreement they draw up (there will be multiple ones presented to you) and if it says anything to the effect of "conclusion" "final" "release of responsibility" "further right to prosecute" etc. tell them that you will not sign until you are 100% confident and happy.

Proceed with each side of the situation individually. See a chiropractor IMMEDIATELY regardless of if you are hurt or not. They will ask if it was caused by a wreck and will happily fill out the paperwork with you since they will get to bill out more than normal. This will generate a claim number that you can take to other medical providers if you need and the insurance agent will be able to consolidate your medical claim with it. You should have no problem negotiating several massage sessions, 10+ chiropractic sessions, and an additional "fee" for pain & suffering that is a straight check you can cash.

For the vehicle portion, let the adjuster do his thing and continue to let them know you expect to buy the car back unless you feel like you can remove what you'd like quick enough. They don't care about the wreckage since they are writing it off so if you only want a few things off of it and its already at your house, get all that stuff out after he comes and let them tow the thing away! If you do have a ton of parts that you want, they will negotiate that buy back fee into your total payout but the buy back should be under $500. Then dig in for the fight to get your total payout as high as possible. Arm yourself with KBB, NADA, and any other rating system's pricing report you want and then go find as many adds as you can for "similar" vehicles A.K.A. modded that contradict the low book value. Their responsibility is to compensate you the value it would require to "replace as closely as possible within reason" to what you had. Obviously they'll try to jew you down as much as they can, but if you can prove that every single vehicle that was in the shape you had with the mods you had actually sells for $6500 when book is only $3200 then they will have to come much closer to what you found. Unless they can similarly find vehicles in the same shape with the same mods for what they say the value is, tell them to shove it up their ass!

Good luck and as mentioned be careful what you admit to or what you write in public. Retain counsel if you feel like giving them 1/3 of what you can get, but with some quick reading and advice you receive you should be fine on your own. Unless you got really hurt which it sounds like you did not, an attorney won't get you much more and will take enough of the total to devalue his presence. Fortunately many of them will "give you a quote" so to speak, they'll listen to your case for a half hour and tell you if they think its worth their time. Take what they say with a grain of salt and assume at least 25% less than what they tell you for total payout, then subtract their fee from that!

not sure about state differentiation here, but my friend just got backed into here in idaho (northern) and got paid out almost 6k for his 91 gsx in way better condition than yours. he almost turned down the insurances offer, but took 5600 plus the car back.

be patient and careful and youll get your moneys worth, even if there is a soul invested into the car.

glad to hear youre ok. this is one of many reasons i will be getting a dash cam

Most Ins companies do NOT care about NADA or KBB blue book values. Most won't accept closed ebay sales or Cl's ads as comparables either.

The Ins companies would go under if they paid NADA blue book value on 1G AWD Talons. For anybody interested enough, go to NADA's website and look up the value of a 1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD. If ins companies paid that blue book value, there would be a whole lot of people out there wrecking their 1G's on purpose.

Summed up, blue book values play little to no role in how an ins company determines fair market value.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back