The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Aluminum exhaust from scrap sheet aluminum?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RipperXX

20+ Year Contributor
Feb 23, 2003
Royston, Georgia
Not sure if it will last, but I'm taking scrap aluminum sheet, rolling it into 3" ID pieces and welding them together.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
If you dont already know. You'll have to use clamp-on style steel hangers if you dont want it to fall while driving.

Weight saving will be good but not nesr the DP as it will get pretty hot and soft, also over timenit may become thin from abrasion and heat cycles, great for a race car, not the best long term daily use but keep up the welding side and prictice making stuff

I'm at work, so between work orders we tend to make stuff I for the first time ever went open down pipe to work this morning....holy shit hilarious, until it gets annoying. turbo spooled stupid fast too..so nye bye restricrion. I have the factory cat back hanging on the car because I was going to build an active exhaust, that hasn't happened and I'm sick of the restriction and slooooow spool up.

once you open up the DP to 2.5" its alot better. go SS DP nd aluminum DP back and that will do you just fine for spool

Everything upstream is already 3" tubular or larger than factory.

Hell it still creeps with atmospheric dumped waste gate!!! WE has 1bar spring, boost still reaches 19psi.

but it is sheet, it came in sheet form its called sheet matal working

Here's what I have so far.

I'm really happy with how tightly I have it fitting thus far, and without removing any of the factory heat shielding! I remember the Megan system not being nearly as tight to the car as this. I have also devised hangers that are pretty universal. (the ones that go from the exhaust to the vehicle mounted units) They can slide up and down the exhaust and rotate 360* then be clamped in place, and still incorporate a little rubber where the two meet. Sooo now I have to get it near the rear bumper and make a muffler. The muffler MAY have to be stainless... I'm not sure I have collected large enough pieces of scrap to make a muffler, but I think I have.

After this, it's on to modifying the Vibrant FMIC to have side pipes instead of end pipes... then make some new intercooler piping. Which I think I'll make out of stainless, simply because it's overall easier to work with.

P.S. MAN I wish I had a TIG machine in my shop!!! Having to take it to work and back and forth back and forth sucks ass! But at least it's happening!

Nice work man. It's always worth it if you're using drop scrap, at work no less.

Right on.

Yeah, it's been slow going as we have been real busy with actual production the last couple of days. Making the turns sucks cause I don't have any easy way to cut exact angles, I have to use a angle gauge that's not to good on pipe since it's not meant for anything like that and then draw a line that's "close" and then I have been just using the band saw to cut most of the way though, then grab an angle grinder with a cut off wheel and just widen the cut, bend until it's closed, while holding it closed, cut out more material, and just keep doing that until I get the angle I need, then weld it back... It's annoyingly slow. 1 mind you ONE bend I was able to judge well enough to cut it at an angle on the band saw and then rotate 180* and weld back to get what I needed.

Hopefully in a few days I'll have another picture. I'm also cutting up the stock muffler, looking at modifying it, or making my own. If I make one, I'll probably use SS. But I'm not sure if I can find sheet metal as thin as I'd like. I'd like to use 18 or 20ga, but most pickup/scrap I have put away in my corner is 14-16ga.

Yeah I really can't complain though, free material, tools etc.

Made some more of it. will have to cut on it some to get the next angle for it to turn and shoot over to the passenger side. might be able to get that done over the weekend.

Also found some more scrap to use, which is good because I was thinking I wouldn't have enough to even get it to where the muffler will be...which I also plan to make, out of aluminum.

I'll post a pic of it when I get home I suppose, it's not wanting to upload from my phone.

Vibrant has pretty cheap aluminum mufflers? Looks good none the less. Figured stainless at the end is pointless if your going for weight reduction

It's just what I have. I didn't have a piece of aluminum big enough. remember this is all drop scrap. and I didn't want the muffler to be 20 pieces LOL. it won't be that heavy it's 16ga SS going to fill it with fiberglass mat, figure I'll tear it apart well and stuff it.

But it will still weigh less than a similar exhaust out of SS. Also, it's free.

Did this yesterday, just needs packing and welded shut.

And joined the two pieces of aluminum pipe...now I just have a snake like 2 feet or so to go and then a couple more hangers to make.

Once this is finished, I'm sure a lot of people will want to hear what this sounds like.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back