The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Resolved 2G Alternator works but it won't charge the battery..

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randizzle420

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 20, 2009
El Centro, California
I just bought a new battery, and it kept going dead when I was driving it. I was pretty positive it was the alternator because I tested the battery when the car was on, and it was only 12 volts. I took the alternator off, took it to pep boys, they tested it, and the alternator is fine, was putting out 14. something volts. Any ideas what the problem might be?

It's called the generator relay in the Mitsu manual. From the Mitsu manual: "The generator relay functions as a backup for the flow of electricity to the rotor coil (field coil) if there is a disconnection or damaged wiring of the charging warning light." It actually is a resistor and diode in series but looks like and is referred to as a relay. (FYI: It is connected in parallel to the charging warning light, it's diode and the 10A fuse.) Something must be banging into it as I hear quite a few complaints of it being distroyed. You may have a problem getting an aftermarket one as every time I've asked they say they never heard of it. Should you find an aftermarket let us know where you got it and the price.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/omron-relay-is-it-broke.402040/

Is this what your looking for? There are pics..

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
1g 80 amp alternator fuse (circled in red) is under hood of car.

Last edited:
Both 1g's and 2g turbo (but not 2gNT) have one but on the 2g it's next to the boost control solenoid. Mitsu calls the 1g one an alternator relay and the 2g one a generator relay. Even though they call it a relay, inside it's actually a diode in series with a resistor. It's purpose is to supply voltage to the alt's field coil (in case the alt light doesn't work which is in parallel with this) so the alt will function.

Last edited:

I'd check these fuses + relay if my alt wasn't charging and especially the 80 amp (top right) and relay (top left). On 1g's are there any other fuses or relays to check if alt isn't charging at all?

Last edited:
On my 98 Spyder the relay wires/connector is on drivers side under power steering reservoir. Just an fyi for those that see this in the future, that's 2g n/t spyder placement of the relay. Factory diagram supports this location.

Last edited:
First check with a voltmeter the output voltage from the alternator, from the bolt that it has to a ground on the bay, it should be somewhere around 13.6 or so....if its like 12v then its not charging. Then Check with your voltmeter at the battery and car running how much voltage there is. If it is like 12v then its maybe in the wiring... your belt tight?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back