The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1G Alternator fuse keeps blowing..

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

90TalonTSIII

Probationary Member
Nov 27, 2011
St.clairsville, Ohio
Ok i have searched and searched. I found many threads and ive tried everything anyone has said.

I just got an alternator (and yes the alternator is good it was checked before it went on my car) I put the alternator on and once i go to connect the positive terminal on my battery. The fuse goes boom! I then realized i am an idiot and left the one wire on the alternator, directly touching the alternator. So i put a homemade plastic washer in the middle. No metal is touching this cable now. Its only touching the threaded bolt. Ok so after replacing the 80amp fuse again. I put the battery cables back on. It sparks but doesnt blow the fuse(suprisingly) but the second i fully connect the jumper cables, it blows everytime. The only thing i can think of is the jumper cables are the issue. Ive put this cars back together plenty of times. Always done the alternator the same way everytime and never had an issue. So why now? Its very irritating..

Do you have a picture of how you are attaching the wire to the alternator and your plastic washer in place that you made?

No i dont right now. In the morning Im gonna try a different pair of jumper cables and if that doesnt work i will post the picture

Can you charge the battery and do without the jumper cables? That would at least remove any possibility of it being a problem in the jumping process.

Honestly i may be able to. I work midnights and i get off at 8:30. The guy who is buying the car is coming around 11. I could charge the battery for about 2 hours. That might be enough time to atleast have the power to start the car, then the alternator could do the rest of the work

ok well yesterday i realized the inside of my car smelled like coolant. Guessing my heatercore pooped on me and leaked (yay another issue) so i go and check, and my ecu is wet. so i figured this was the issue for the fuse blowing. luckily i had another ecu that i know was good. I put it in, and when i go to jump the car, guess what? my fuse blew.. This makes no dang sense to me.. I have done everything correctly and yet my car hates me

obviously it's a ground not hooked up or a live wire touching something. but id guess a ground somewhere. 30 second google search.

I'm sorry if it was a typo or I'm mistaken. But isn't the Alternator fuse supposed to be 90amp? Not 80. That could be reason it blows....

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back