The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Alternator belt squealling and smoking

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1990AWD

Supporting VIP
Apr 27, 2009
Langham, SK_Canada
Today when I went to start up my car to recharge my battery (I had been testing stuff and therefore draining the batter) and the alternator belt was squelling like crazy. The part that scared me was how is started smoking and it burnt my finger when I touched it (after I shut the car off of course).

I searched already but I only found out how to get rid of the squeal. What would cause the belt to smoke? :confused:

Today when I went to start up my car to recharge my battery (I had been testing stuff and therefore draining the batter) and the alternator belt was squelling like crazy. The part that scared me was how is started smoking and it burnt my finger when I touched it (after I shut the car off of course).

I searched already but I only found out how to get rid of the squeal. What would cause the belt to smoke? :confused:

Belt is probably not tensioned properly or the pulley itself is unaligned and causing the belt to either

A. Jump the pulley and cause more friction then smoking
B. Belt is too tight and applying stress on itself and pulleys
C. Belt may have been saturated with oil/water/coolant and when it rotated it may have got hot and burned off the additives on the belt.

agree 100 percent with the about above post. Does your item still charge? Check it with a voltmeter? maybe overheating. doubt it but something to maybe think about if the others problems are not it.

Once these bastrds start squelling they never go away! i have own 3 dsm that squelled when on start up and ended shorlty after driveing a bit.

i have the same problem i payed 200 bucks to get my belts fixed because i had a belt rip down the middle and in 1 week they were squealing again today i started the car and the belt smoked i have it on video because i was trying to tape something ese.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uuQ-p-5txBk&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uuQ-p-5txBk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The last gs-t i owned i had the dam belt squelling all the time and it ate them up in a few months well i didnt have my timming belt cover on and one day that alt belt snap and it flew into my timming belt then snaped the timming belt causing the piston to smash into tje valves and also pushed the piston into the pisoton wall destorying the head and motor just cause of the dam alt belt.

Misti had a very bad altantor desgin when the build these cars.

I got the same problem with my new gates alt. belt. It squealed real loud after putting it in, the long tension bolt was loose, i tightened that. The squeal stopped but now as the weather is colder it started squealing again. It doesn't smoke though, im also lost now.

I'll try replacing the belt. It may have gotten fluids on it. Thanks for the replies!

Keep in mind when the belt has slipped, the surface of the pulley will be rubbed smooth. This obviously makes it harder for the replacement belt to grip and causes the same slippage again. Make sure to inspect the pulley and most likely replace it also.

The brackets are just poorly made. I have never been able to completely eliminate the belt squeak on my car, even after replacing all belts with Gator belts, rebuilding the engine, loosening, tightening, the works. Then one day I got a laser level and found that none of the pulleys line up quite right. There is no alignment built into the brackets, so I am making custom brackets tocalign them right. PITA.

I would try to spin the alternator pulley without the belt on it, I had one seize on me and it did the exact thing you described.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back