Alternator belt screaming

Posted by bsendkew, Nov 20, 2011
Bolt-on Tech - 4G63 intake, exhaust, intake manifold, ignition, fuel system, cooling, etc.

1. bsendkew

bsendkew Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    east meadow, New_York
    My alternator belt keeps screaming. i tighten the bracket but then after like 3miles of driving it loosens and gets very tight. then it gets very hot and starts screaming. it is a brand new alternator, could i be missing a bracket or something?
  2. iugrad92turbo

iugrad92turbo Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    MMM did you try to adjust it, sounds either too loose or tight?
  3. agentorange313

agentorange313 Supporting VIP

DSM Profiles:
    Westfield, New_Jersey
    Squeaking belts occur when there is moisture or some kinda of dampness/residue on the belt itself, or on the pulley that it mates with.

Oil and coolant is very common to cause this, it has the potential to leak from various places on the engine and can get on the belts.

Is your bracket loosening? or is the belt that loosening? If its the belt, just get a new one, take two min to put on, especially since you changed the alternator you have the ability to change the belt. If its your bracket that keeps loosening I would look into the thread and bolt that are holding it in place.

When the belt is situated in position, and prepared to be tightened, there should be 1/4inch of play in the belt, if you depress it in the middle.
  4. jpmxrider489

jpmxrider489 Supporting Member

DSM Profiles:
    pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    I have the same problem but mine goes away after warm up. Its a common thing to have a loud belt with our dsms. I know a few people that have this issue.
  5. ricktb

ricktb Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Edmonton, AB_Canada
    First time i thought i over tightened my belts, turns out they were still loose and make a screech sound. Tightened them up and sound went away. There are problems also if you do end up over-tightening. Can cause premature wear on pulley bearings and belt. There is a specification in your haynes manual. Something like 8mm deflection if measured from a line across the top edge of both pulleys. Also the pulleys have to be in line perfectly. I had to make adjustments on my steering pump to align the pulleys
  6. gofer

gofer Moderator

DSM Profiles:
    South Gilbert, Arizona
    It could be the alternator itself too. I tightened an alternator belt so tight because it was pissing me off from the noise it would make that it snapped while I was driving, turned out the remaned alternator was the culprit. After I replaced it the sound disappeared.

:dsm:
  7. TrevorS

TrevorS Proven Member

Newark, Delaware
    If the belt squeals, it's not tight enough. Just keep tightening in small increments until it stops. My experience with my '90 is you have to be careful about how the bolt is oriented. One can easily end up tightening against nothing, and so pay close attention to exactly how it's positioned when tightening.
  8. Bud92gsx

Bud92gsx Supporting Member

DSM Profiles:
    Your moms house, BC_Canada
    Mine squeels only on startup.Nothing when warm...I need to tighten the belt is all..
  9. gusu

gusu Proven Member

Keizer, Oregon
    You could also have bad alternator bearings but I would assume its the belt not being properly tightened first.
  10. gieri002

gieri002 Proven Member

Lake Minnetonka, Minnesota
    Make sure to disconnect your battery before tightening the belt! Let us know how it goes.
  11. TrevorS

TrevorS Proven Member

Newark, Delaware
    I see absolutely no reason for this and definitely wouldn't do that myself. Please explain!
  12. RamenPride

RamenPride Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Sometimes the belt can screech if the crank pulley is going bad.
  13. bsendkew

bsendkew Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    east meadow, New_York
    ok so its not the the bracket is loosening the belt just gets tight...what do u think?
  14. hhuricane

hhuricane Proven Member

Calgary, AB_Canada
    Some brands of belts just like to squeal. I can't put Gates on mine or it howls, Dayco works fine though. If it has been doing it for awhile the belt could be glazed and you'll never get it to stop. Try a new belt tensioned properly.
  15. m1nd64m3

m1nd64m3 Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    chitown area, Illinois
    I had the same problem and could not get it to go away, tried everything. Ended up being the alternator.
  16. bsendkew

bsendkew Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    east meadow, New_York
    like i said its a brand new alt. also it is a fully rebuild so everything engine wise i brand new or 100% restored. the belt i am using is a gates blue.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2014
  17. gofer

gofer Moderator

DSM Profiles:
    South Gilbert, Arizona
    It doesn't matter, if the belts tight and it still squeals its the alternator. I went through three reman'd alternators before I found one that didn't howl at me every morning and piss off the neighbors.

Heres the FSM page, torque everything to spec (the tensioner bolt in particular) and if the symptoms don't change then its the alternator.

alternator install.jpg

:dsm:
  18. josh408

josh408 Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Bay Area, California
    Did you get the alternator from kragens or auto zone?
  19. Vladimir

Vladimir Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Hollywood, Florida
    The nost common reason why belts squeel are: loose belt, contaminated belt (oil, coolant, water), pulley problems such as bad or binding bearing, tensioner problems, improper belt routing...etc.

If the belt is new and its not contaminated , check all the bearings, could be the altenator it self binding.

Dont tightet the belt too much cause you put to much load on the bearings. Let it be tight, but not as tight as your body can make it.
  20. TexasTurbo

TexasTurbo Proven Member

Austin, Texas
    Hey man, if your belt is squeaking then there is an issue. It's not a "this is just how DSM's are" kind of thing. DSM's are like any other vehicle in that the components that make it up are largely similar and serviced in the same manner as other vehicles are. A squeaky belt is a squeaky belt and there are known fixes for this issue. I wouldn't just "deal with it" as something that "these cars do."
  21. jcarmichael

jcarmichael Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Greenwood, Indiana
    simple question simple well stated answer :applause:
  22. turboglenn

turboglenn Proven Member

Omaha, Nebraska
    I had this issue once and it turned out the crank pulley was seperated, no matterwhat it would squeel, then i inspectecdand saw the split inthe rubber on the damper pulley

chekc that too