The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Alternative Coolant Overflow for Short Route FMIC (SSAC, SBR, VR-Speed) Cheap & Easy

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Short route piping is great. With most kits that utilize this route, it goes through the radiator support which means the stock coolant overflow bottle must be removed and relocated.

The most convenient location without having to do too much work is the stock SMIC location.

Many others and I have used this location. However, I now have a cold air intake which has the filter in this location. Also when the coolant overflow was in this location I personally hated it. It was not easy to check the level in the bottle or refill it if needed. It just didn't feel secure to me either.

I wanted a better solution. Something cheap, something easy.

The wait is over. I bring to you.. The HDR (Home Depot Racing) Ghetto-rade coolant overflow bottle.

This solution allows you to KEEP the coolant overflow bottle in the same location and still allow you to close your hood and it will not just be hanging there, but actually mounted securely.

First go to your local hardware store. I prefer Home Depot since they have been supporting the DSM community for many years. You could also go to OSH, Lowes, etc. And buy yourself one of these.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The shortest they had was 3ft I believe which was plenty. The picture above was what I had LEFTOVER from this project. It was $5-6.

Some if not all Home Depots also sell some beverages. If not go to any a store that does. Purchase a 20oz bottlle of Gatorade OR Vitamin Water. I've tested and both work. These are with the usual twist off cap. The reasons it is crucial to purchase either of these are 1) the cap that fits on the original coolant overflow bottle fits directly on these bottles without modification. 2) It is just the correct height where you can still close the hood.

I did try the 32oz, but it is a tad bit taller and interferes with the hood closing. Feel free to use what ever bottle you like if it has a better design or if you find one that holds more liquid yet still maintain the correct height to close the hood. But again the 2 mentioned are proven for the stock cap to fit on and fit with the hood closed.

After you purchased your bottle, just bend the steel around the circumference. Match up the 2 holes so they overlap and cut.

Then with the remainding, use that as a bracket and measure and cut.

There is a threaded hole where I believe the BCS was mounted. Use this hole to mount the bracket. You should be able to put the BCS on top of your new bracket if you wish. My BCS was relocated so the bracket sits alone. You would use the existing bolt down here to tighten.

Next the circular bracket you made for the bottle you mount and secure on the straight bracket and you secure with a nut and bolt you must purchase. Use a washer if the ones you have are small to where it fits through the holes on the steel.

The final product..

Cap is snugly on without any modification to the bottle. I can close my hood with no problem and maintain the convenience of being able to see the amount of liquid in the overflow and ease of refilling if needed. By the way the FMIC setup you see in the picture is the SSAC XS Power, VR-Speed kit.

You shouldn't have spent more than $10 on this.

So how has it held up. I've had it for about a week. Still good. The biggest concern is with heat. And how long it will withstand the engine temps. Only time will tell, but so far it has been fine. Beside's to change it out it only cost $1.29 for another bottle of Gatorade or Vitamin Water, and as a bonus you get a yummy drink!

**NOTE** For 95 owners. I believe we are the only ones with the sensor in our stock coolant overflow bottle. At first this was the main reason I did not want to do this because it would eliminate the sensor. I have 2 95 GSXs. The other will throw a dummy light in the gauge cluster if it is not connected or is actually low. However in the other 95 GSX this was installed on does not. So results may vary. It's no big deal, but if the light annoys you, well you live with it, you remove the light from the cluster, or you do your own fabrication to fit that sensor.

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI: I rocked a Poweraid bottle as a coolant overflow for an entire summer a few years ago. As stated, it did fit great. But, after about one month of use, the plastic at the top of the bottle begins to deform from the heat, and eventually, the cap will no longer seal. My solution was to simply change out the bottle every month for a new one.

After one summer of use, I decided to upgrade to a more permanent solution.

My permanent solution does keep the overflow tank in that exact same location. I don't have any good pictures though... I welded an aluminum bracket on the side of my radiator, and I bolted up a Jaz 1 Quart Recovery bottle. It's been the perfect solution.

More pics. This is a good, cheap, and simple solution for anyone rocking an aluminum radiator and should work with all short-route IC piping set-ups.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back