The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

Aftermarket Exhaust Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flagstaff Fury

Probationary Member
Jun 18, 2007
Kenosha, Wisconsin
I am looking into an exhaust system for my 1G Talon. When they say cat back, do they mean that I get the pipe that bolts to the back of the catlytic converter back to the muffler? And a turbo back means it bolts to the back of the down pipe all the way back to the muffler? I am so confused LOL. I want a full exhaust. I don't mind buying the DP seperate, but I want to know which exhaust is everything I need except maybe the DP. Any info on good FULL exhausts and DP's would be helpful too! Thanks!

Personal preference. You don't need the 02 sensor, but without it plugged in it will throw a CEL

VRS o2 elininator means it replaces the o2 housing. It doesnt actually get rid of the o2 sensor.

I could be wrong, but I have never seen Thermal offer a turbo back option for our cars.

Your right. Thermal doesnt offer a turboback for our cars.

I have VRS, with custom muffler and very happy with it. Get a VRS, with O2 eliminator. Later down the road it will be relatively easy to weld a V-band flange, if needed. Also, if you end up ordering VRS, I asked them and they did weld at a little extre cost a resonator where the cat used to stay.

I am looking into an exhaust system for my 1G Talon. When they say cat back, do they mean that I get the pipe that bolts to the back of the catlytic converter back to the muffler? And a turbo back means it bolts to the back of the down pipe all the way back to the muffler? I am so confused LOL. I want a full exhaust. I don't mind buying the DP seperate, but I want to know which exhaust is everything I need except maybe the DP. Any info on good FULL exhausts and DP's would be helpful too! Thanks!

Just got done putting a full Turbo back Cat eliminated 3" Apexi N1 system on my '90 Talon. Bought the whole thing including shipping and Tax for just under $700, from ExtremePSI. I love it, the thing bolts up very easily and the note from the muffler is deep and throaty under boost, but not super loud else where. If you need the Cat for emissions control in your state, you'll have to find a HighFlow Cat from somewhere, and go with a different set up as the system I got was for AWD and the mid pipe section goes straight from the DP to the muffler. But if you can go with this it's a good set up.:D

OoPs..:ohdamn: just noticed your an AWD, so scratch my last sentence. Go for the set unless you need the Cat.:thumb:

Okay thanks guys. One more question. If I were to buy an exhaust that is test pipe back, what pipe is between the down pipe and the test pipe? I have a guy offering me a VRS for cheap and wanted to know what the pipe is and where I could find it. Thanks!

Okay thanks guys. One more question. If I were to buy an exhaust that is test pipe back, what pipe is between the down pipe and the test pipe? I have a guy offering me a VRS for cheap and wanted to know what the pipe is and where I could find it. Thanks!

A test pipe is just a fancy name for a adapter pipe to go where the Cat Converter would be. It's usually just a same diameter pipe to join the DP to the Exhaust. Search the vendors for one or EBay. Just make sure what ever system you buy that you find out if the flanges on the DP and Exhaust are the same as the test pipe.

I know this has nothing to do with the OPs question but I just feel the need to clarify.

You do need an o2 sensor!

Yeah it will run without one, but it will also run with a screwdriver stock in the turbo.

I was speaking about the second one sir. You DO NOT need it.

Of course you need your o2 sensor in your o2 housing, but you do not need the one on the cat.

Seems your question has been answered, but one can never get too much information right?

Here is how i went about it with my system.

I went ahead and bought the Greddy Full Cat-Back Exhaust System, 2.5". This means everything from my catalytic converter is all new exhaust :). Now, my goal was very humble, get some juice out of my car, not trying to break records, so 2.5" is more than enough for myself. That is the first thing you should ask yourself, what do you want to do.

Now, being i live in California, we have very strict emissions laws, so, with Greddy being "street" legal for my car, it only solidified my choice to go with Greddy. That is another question you want to ask yourself: Do you care to be street legal? Depending on what you decide, will determine which parts/brands you will go for.

Now, i'm sorta in the "middle". On the "big" noticeable parts, i went street legal. But on some of the parts i went "whatever".

The point being, i purchased my Downpipe and "High Flow" Catalytic converter. Both from Buschur Racing and have been satisfied since.

The last question you want to ask yourself is more of a "stylized" question. How do you want your exhaust to sound. I did A LOT of research on this, and which is also why i went with the Greddy SP Full Catback exhaust system. Its not too loud at all. Even with the rest of the piping and upgraded turbo kits and whatnot.

When it does get loud, the only thing "loud" about it, under normal driving conditions, is when i hit 3000-3500RPMs on whichever gear: It has a VERY nice bassy, steady tone to it. No rasp, no high pitch scream, just a nice low bass sound it. I actually get complimented on it ALL the time, and in my area, there is at least 3-6 eclipses driving around, and most people compliment me on how it sounds "badass" and "doesn't" sound like those other ones.

Now, under "high performance" driving...well, the thing gets loud, but again, no rasp, no high pitch scream, just a nice loud, low bass tone...I guess if you want i can record it, but thats for you to let me know..

Anyways, i hope this helps out your decision, if you havent already made it :)

dont get an o2 eliminator kit unless you fully research and have a different turbo system, if you want really really REALLY annoyingly loud wake up your dead ancestors growl of a noise, get an O2 dump, holiest god himself will cry when you hit WOT (wide open throttle) and if you have a 3" turbo back exhaust like I do, you will barely be even able to hear the exhaust, but thats only when you are putting out psi under boost, otherwise just have an exhaust shop weld one up for you, its really cheap, and looks better when you have it all custom, my exhaust is angled like a subaru exhaust so its mean looking and sounding, however, because you put an o2 dump on you lose most of the high end growl associated with your wastegate fluttering with your recirc, so if you want:

Ungodly loud: o2 dump w/2.5-3" exhaust and an ebay muffler

really loud but good sounding: 2.5-3" exhaust with a name brand muffler possibly a test pipe

angry civic: Test pipe 2.5-3" exhaust and any muffler big enough to fit your babies head into

or for a track day where you want no restrictions go with an electronically controlled cut-out/diverter y-pipe so that you can run on the streets with no problems and stock-modified exhaust, but when you want no backpressure flip the switch and the diverter will close off the main exhaust, and open the quick dump.... heres a link

QTP » Electric Exhaust Cutouts

hit me up if you have any other exhaust questions

really loud but good sounding: 2.5-3" exhaust with a name brand muffler possibly a test pipe

angry civic: Test pipe 2.5-3" exhaust and any muffler big enough to fit your babies head into

Honestly, you will never really sound like a civic no matter what muffler you put on, name-brand or not. The turbo takes care of that for you.

LOL i know, the turbo is the ultimate muffler, and ive personally researched this by trial and error, but different mufflers give you different sounds... sometimes

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back