The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

AEM cam gears

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fez1085

20+ Year Contributor
Mar 25, 2003
Granger, Indiana
Hey guys, i have just completed my full exhaust (CAI, headers, highflow cat, and custom 2.5" piping from the cat back... ) and I guess my next step is to get cam gears. I have been reaserching them for a little bit, and i have found AEM cam gears for about $156.00.

http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/aem23650-d1.html

I was just wondering if i should go with these? Anybody have them? i was also wondering if i have to go in and run my car on a dyno to get the appropriate settings, b/c i have read that you can put these on, and feel no gains. Any input would be great, thanks:thumb:

What do u mean u set them at zero? So it would have to be every time u add somethin to your car u change the settings? Can u please go in detail wit this as i am going to get them to, Thanks

Mike

Intereceptor, if u live in miami why dont u go to dynamic turbo? They sell aem cam gears for $120, i called them the other day but they charge up the ass for install. How hard an install is this?

I live in miami too, my aim s/n is mnf155

Mike

What i meant by setting at Zero is that ur factory cams r fixed at zero and if u dont know what ur doing with them or dont have a dyno put them at zero.Theres a -10 to +10 degree on them and the middle is 0.

installation was easy but i did have help from a friend.

Damn dynamic turbo sells them that cheap.yes get those babies.

The cam gears themselves just bolted on will give you no gain, the benefit is that they are adjustable, so you can change the timing, but the install will cost you alot unless you can do it yourself. There is an excellent article on import tuner magazine's website, where they installed and dynoed those same gears, I think they got 6 Hp, check it out.
Heff

has anyone got them dynoed and set to the appropriate setting? I am just wondering how much people are asking for to set them correctly. thanks :talon:

I heard somewhere that u should get cams at the same time u get the cam gears b/c of not then it aint worth it. Is this true?

Also im guessing i should prolly install the pulleys at the same time as the cam gears to save me some time hehe.

Cams are not needed to benefit from the cam gears. IF they are advanced (cam gears), yes, they will do beautiful things together.

Cam gears alone (advanced), will put up some decent gains.

Yes, it would save time.

:dsm: So how hard are the AEM cam gears to install is there a walkthrough on how to do it some where? Where can i buy them, What is the part number that will fit our GS's?:dsm:

Make sure that you order 2 for the DOHC. They sell them individualy.

To put the cam gears on you must remove your timing belt, which means you gotta go through and take off all the belts. Basically just do a t-belt/serpentine belt change along with your water pump and tensioners when you put them on. I've read posts before of someone saying you can just slip off the tbelt and put them on... but i don't think its possible since you need to line up the timing marks with the crank pulleys timing mark. Do a search for cam gear install on the site and that should yield you some good results.

Thread necromancing again...

Been reading up a lot about cam gears (in general) and... ok...
i'l be honest LOL. i'm just trying to follow the 2g nt upgrade path (for the moment)

not looking for advice as to how to set them or at what degrees. i've read well enough to leave them at 0 until dyno. My question is more simple. Ok, i've read that the intake has it's own part number as does the exhaust does too. therefor you would think they would be two totally different gears (for one reason or another). i am probably way wrong here. But when i look at the fidonza and aem pages they just sell the one. So, does that matter? Or do i have to make sure i am getting one of this and one of that? Or just pick two identical ones up and easy sailing?

i definetly gettin me some cams so 7 hp or about for the n/t................... how much more will i gain if i get gears along wit it? any one know wher i can purchased some online (cheapest)

i definetly gettin me some cams so 7 hp or about for the n/t................... how much more will i gain if i get gears along wit it? any one know wher i can purchased some online (cheapest)

these are cam gears, you mean camshafts. dont expect to just bolt on these cam gears and get 7 hp. you will need a dyno and someone to tune them for you. its not cheap.

Crower stage 2 camshafts would be good.

Crower Stage 2 Camshaft Set 95-99 Eclipse/Talon 420a

yea i was gonna ask if crower made any for the 420 did not see em in the 420 parts catalog

what would be the price ranging from... so i cant know what to look for when getting them installed.... DONT WANT TO GET RIppED OFF!!

Okay... just a simple update by me...

Okay, so i have ordered some AEM Tru Time cam gears, just arrived today. Right now i am planning to wait to put them on when my C2's come in. However... i bought them off eBay. i, myself, have never had any problems with ebay in the past. These are true AEM cam gears even came with the box that appeared to be unopened til i opened them. Maybe i am just paranoid and don't want to get screwed but looking at them something came to mind. So i am hoping someone who has them might be able to help.

the Box has a sticker that says..
23-850B
T.T Cam Gear
Neon/Ecl 2.0 DOHC

So... so far it reads correctly, right? the AEM page says that the 23-850 is the one i want. the B, C, R, letter just specifies the colour Blue, Clear (polished), Red. Ok, i understand this much. So i can assume i have the right box at least.

My question is about on the cam itself... it has the number "2-850" on it and on the rotating gear part where the teeth line up it has the number "2-851" on it. Then on the inside of the box it has the number "10-507" on it. All these numbers make me start to wonder... i know math isn't my specialty (1+1=3) but i just want some one else to verify for me this is what i ordered.

i could imagine the 10-507 is the "part number" for the box itself. Which would mean the 2-850 is the adjustment sprocket part number. Therefor the 2-851 is for the teeth. Which would make me think you could take the teeth off (if you unbolted them) and its just a factory AEM thing so they can use the same cast molding and just put different size teeth on them. i don't know. i'm just talking out of my bumm. But yeah, could someone verify what these numbers mean?

I sent in an information request to AEM to find out exactly what the numbers mean for you. I should have a response sometime tomorrow. I won't be able to post anything till the late afternoon because I have several appointments tomorrow. Hope this helps.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back