1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Trouble Logging In or Staying Logged In?

CLEAR YOUR BROWSER COOKIES! More info about this can be found here. If you still have trouble after clearing your browser's cookies and cache, reply to that thread and tell us what browser you're using and what device you're using.

GVR-4 Adjustable cam gears?

Posted by 4gfun, May 12, 2018

1. 4gfun

4gfun Supporting VIP

Joined Dec 10, 2007
    Ask Me, Virginia
    Posting this in the Newb section because I just don't know what I am doing when it comes to this and the question is a bit general.

I am getting closer to swapping the head on my GVR4 with a built head/Crower 272s and running E85.

The main reason that I am doing this is because I have these parts laying around and I love the sound of a cammed 4g63t.

The car is also due for a T-belt/tensioner change.

I am reading that I will lose torque and that my car will slow down unless I rev the crap out of it which I hate doing. My State's Laws are very anti auto enthusiast, so I usually baby my cars.

I am also reading that I will need cam gears to make the most of the setup which I am not crazy about especially since I have no knowledge in that area.

Do the cam gears go on when I am doing the t-belt job or can they go on some time afterwards?

I just don't want to overwhelm myself and get discouraged then never get anything done which I have a tendency to do.

Thanks for any advice.

My DSM:
    1994 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo

Street Build

16g   manual
    1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4

Street Build

16g   manual
    1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

14b   manual
  2. Mello

Mello Proven Member

Joined Jul 4, 2003
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    It's more work if you wait & put the cam gears on later. To change the gears you have to remove the T-belt & makes most sense to chnage the gears while doing your T-belt but you can go either way. Just install the gears set straight up at zero. This way you could still play with adjusting the gears later.

4gfun likes this.
  3. 4gfun

4gfun Supporting VIP

Joined Dec 10, 2007
    Ask Me, Virginia
    Thanks for confirming that the t-belt needs to be removed anyways. Like I said, new area for me.

I have done quite a bit of skimming through cam gear posts with little interest. Is there any particular feature that I need from the cam gears. Are some less reliable than others?

What I am getting at is some folks mentioned that they were happy with lower end ebay stuff while others frowned on that.

I hate cheaping out, but "needing" cam gears was not something that I expected so I am inclined to pay less for a set. The car is not a daily either. I am lucky to have it running a few days a year at this point.

Thanks!

My DSM:
    1994 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo

Street Build

16g   manual
    1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4

Street Build

16g   manual
    1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

14b   manual
  4. er82

er82 Proven Member

Joined Apr 18, 2014
    Sacramento, California
    Aem cam gears have nice big adjustment bolts. I think it's something to look for. There are also fidanza cam gears which have stud and nut instead of bolt which is also good.

Also, I've read if not planning to degree cams, no need for adjustable cam gears. And degreeing cams gives slight power increase.

My DSM:
    1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4

Street Build

16g   manual
    4gfun likes this.
  5. AllanL

AllanL Proven Member

Joined Apr 24, 2008
    LV, Nevada
  6. 4gfun

4gfun Supporting VIP

Joined Dec 10, 2007