The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

A/T (automatic) to M/T (Manual) swap on a Spyder

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRNDSM

May 16, 2002
Chelmsford, Massachusetts
So, there are numerous threads on how to do this swap, but I haven't seen this issue addressed:

What do you do about the convertible top neutral/safety switch? I am in the middle of the swap and need to put up the top, but it isn't working. I suspect that that safety switch which prevents you from lowering the top in gear is not working (shifter/tranny are all out at this point).

Where does top controller get this signal?

Even if I manually over ride the top, I will be all set for now, but eventually, I will have to figure this out.

Thank you,

Last edited by a moderator:
Another related question: at the last minute, I decided to swap in a 5sp engine harness (95 GSX) into my automatic (96 GST) Spyder. I know this isn't necessary, but i wanted to make this a cleaner install.

Some obvious differences:

- manual harness 6.5 lbs
- auto harness 8.5 lbs
- 95 uses "1g style", single MPI relay
- 96 uses "2gb style", two MPI relays

I thought this MPI change happened in 97, but I am obviously wrong. It shouldn't matter, as long as I swap the complete engine harness... Or does it?

I would appreciate if anyone with experience with topic chimes in!

If nothing else, I will report with my finding and we will have some answers :)

I am trying to focus on putting 5sp harness, at the moment.

There are three plugs that connect engine harness to the car (5sp is on top):

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The good news is that plug are the same... The bad news is that I can see a LOT of differences in the pins :( So far, I can't find complete pinout of these connectors. Has anyone ever looed them up?

So... it just worked... I am not sure how/where convertible top computer gets its information about neutral gear, but switching to 5sp harness provided all the needed wiring! The top works perfectly! I suspect I would have had to do a bunch of custom wiring, had I kept my automatic harness...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back