The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

A MAACO paint job...oh no!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

etay89

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 27, 2009
Monroeville, Pennsylvania
So let me tell you. I've read SOOO many bad things about a maaco paint job, it's unreal. However, I hate white on this car so I decided to get it repainted. The job cost me $540..and I thought it would look like shit. Well here it is

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I know, it's just one pic, but because of working daylight during work hours, obviously, it's hard to take pics (these pics are coming from a Palm Pre mind you) so when I get free time (Sunday), I'll take more pics.

I just seen another MACCO paint job the other day and it was not bad at ALL for the price

May not look bad now, but how about in a year or two?

The main issues I've heard about them is the lack of prep work, and the terrible quality paint they use.

The main issues I've heard about them is the lack of prep work, and the terrible quality paint they use.

please please...dont scare me now while it still looks badass LOL:rocks:

What is left to get right?! ROFL

My concern is the life of the paint. Also if the paint they use provides any give or if your bumpers will be cracking in a couple of months. Don't push too hard when you wash!

What color is that exactly? More pics please, it looks really good in that first pic.

Nice.

It will start chipping off where the tape was used in about a year.

Lol, it does look really good right now.

More pics ASAP

definitely

thursday: work 9am-7pm (dark then)
friday: funeral at 11, exhaust work at 3, tuning at 6

actually..i may get more pics friday... there are a few runs on my mirror...

### pissed me off about them is that they messed with my safc.

looks pretty good, did you get the cheapest deal from them?

What is left to get right?! ROFL

My concern is the life of the paint. Also if the paint they use provides any give or if your bumpers will be cracking in a couple of months. Don't push too hard when you wash!

What color is that exactly? More pics please, it looks really good in that first pic.

i usually hand wash my cars so i'll be good ( or i use very light pressure). the color is a very dark gray (51485 is the code, its sherwin williams:|)

only ### i dont know how to use multiquote or whatever:

eclipse1999: the cheapest deal was $200. this was the supreme. it would have cost around $800, but obviously, $540.

7"exhaust_tip: i actually tried to peel the paint in one of the non-visible places because i didnt get my jams painted...it didnt peel...so hopefully it dont (or the paint crack), i just dont want no more snow!

i had a earl scheib(similar to maaco) paint job a couple years back on my 2g non-turbo the $700-800 package w/lifetime:hellyeah: (cracks,peels, loss of gloss etc) warranty. surprisingly it looked very good! especially for what i paid. not to mention they filled in old spoiler holes, and did all jambs. color was actually similar to your aswell. (dark gunmetal metalic, they called it "pewter") i sold the car 8months later and paint still looked good, as day one. but i DO ADVISE you get it wetsanded and buffed.. they skip out on that final step, causing the "orange peel" look that i can kinda see on your car aswell. good luck with it ;) and get more pics asap.

I used to work at a Maaco in Maryland doing their paint ....It depends on the maaco because they are franchised..Our maaco did a ton of prep work. We didn't like turning out shit. Maaco isn't terrible for the money
You could also bring the car to them prepped and get a fantastic job

Last edited:
here's more pix

and for all you maaco shit talkers...you were right...the cracking is beginning :banghead:

I had a macco job on my first 240sx that was about 2 years old when i got it, had the car for a year and it still looked great! here is a good pic showing the quality of it.

Why didn't they paint the door handles?

good question. i question maaco's intelligence here but ill explain this best i can. when i bought the car, the driver side doorhandle was broken, so i bought a new one (black, primered, ready to paint)...but maaco didnt kno that.

what really boggles me is that they wud paint my red front bumper...but not my black door handle. LOL

but i kinda like it being black. i might just change the passenger door handle for that reason. LOL

The cracks just give it... character. :thumb:

The cracking on your bumper near the headlamp looks like it was there previous to the paint job. When you have cracks in the paint prior to painting, once you paint it will magnify the look of the cracks. :nono: I would never in a hundred years have MAACO paint my car.

As a painter there is a reason people spend 2k + on just paint only jobs...Its all about the prep, quality of materials, and painter skills.

As a painter there is a reason people spend 2k + on just paint only jobs...Its all about the prep, quality of materials, and painter skills.

But when its a car that is clearly driven in the snow, and is clearly not a show car and had bad paint to begin with i cant see the point in spending half the cost of a car on paint, as long as he likes it then i say its money well spent!

But when its a car that is clearly driven in the snow, and is clearly not a show car and had bad paint to begin with i cant see the point in spending half the cost of a car on paint, as long as he likes it then i say its money well spent!

eh...it was a nice change up from white LOL but i do like the paint job alot...then again my front bumper has been shit from jump street. i'm missing like 50% of my bolts. speaking of which, anyone know the size of the bolts i could use to bolt it on? (since its currently zip tied at the wheel wells)

owell you get what you paid for. your car looks better now then it did...

very true, BUT i did like it alot with the red bumper on. in the pic, makes it look dodge viper-ish LOL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back