A/c not working

Posted by allthrottle, Jun 13, 2009
Appearance/Interior/Exterior - All interior and exterior tech discussions; body and paint, conversions, lighting, washing, waxing, etc.

1. allthrottle

allthrottle Proven Member

Amarillo, Texas
    When I got my car, the a/c tensioner/pulley and belt were off. I bought and installed those, but the a/c hasn't been blowing cold. I finally picked up a Pocketlogger and it doesn't show the a/c clutch light flashing on/off when I turn the a/c on/off. Anyone have any suggestions where to start fixing or diagnosing the issue?

Thanks!

2. RoninEclipse2G

RoninEclipse2G Proven Member

Parker, Colorado
    I'd start with checking the system pressure. There's a pressure switch in there that if it doesn't register enough pressure the clutch won't engage. I've had that happen on a few cars that I've bought.

A previous owner may have removed the belt and tensioner instead of having to deal with the R134 refrigerant update, sometimes that can get spendy

3. allthrottle

Amarillo, Texas
    From what I've read, r134 has the threads on the inside of the fittings and r12 has them on the outside. Mine has them on the inside, so I believe it's been converted to r134. The a/c compressor was loose whenever I got the car, and hanging by a bolt, so it's possible the guy tried to remove the a/c and couldn't get the compressor out. I didn't know the compressor just wouldn't turn on it all if it were low on freon.

Guess I'll have to take it to a shop and have them check it out. Thanks!

4. Defiant

Defiant DSM Wiseman

DSM Profiles:
    glorious Galt, California
  5. allthrottle

Amarillo, Texas
    Just an update:

A/c works now! I took it in to an a/c shop and they said they suspected whoever converted the a/c to R134 never put freon back in it! Freon filled, but the a/c wouldn't work. After swapping around & replacing a couple of the fuses and relays, the compressor kicked on and blew ice cold.

Thanks for the input :)

6. Dserge

Dserge Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Weatherford, Texas
    Glad you were able to wrap it up.

Clean 1g by the way.