The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

A/C depressurize from home?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pyrice4

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 23, 2007
Jacksonville, Florida
I am about to pull the engine from my 91 GS-T and it cannot be driven anywere to have the A/C system evacuated. Im not sure there is still any freon in it but I would like to make sure before I take everything apart. Is there any way I can test to see how much freon is still in the system and if there is how do I evacuate it? Btw, I have no money so if its too expensive I might get a hole in the system somewere...

You should be able to get a quality AC pressure gauge at AutoZone or Advance or where ever under their "loan-a-tool" program.

Should you release it to the atmosphere (which is illegal, BTW) be sure to wear gloves and keep well away from it. You can lose body parts to evaporating refrigerant.

Ok, thats probably what ill do. I dont think there is much left in it anyway considering it hasnt been recharged in over 10 years. I just didnt want my hand to get frozen or blown off.

You can easily just release it into the atmosphere. However, doing so is illegal and it would be better for the environment to properly evacuate the system. Unfortunately that means taking it to a shop as most will not travel to you.
Should your system develop a leak, be sure to wear gloves and basically depress the schrauder valve or just use a tire valve core tool to take it all the way out. Do not go smelling the refrigerant or play "how long can I hold my hand there". Neither ends well.
Once you disconnect the system, be sure to seal off the lines if you plan to reuse them. If you want to reuse them and don't block them off, the moisture in the air can deteriorate the lining on the inside and your lines will no longer be useable.
My system had not been recharged in about 10 years and still had quite a bit of refrigerant left in it. Unfortunately due to a bad seal(I'm not kidding here) I lost all my refrigerant and at that point decided to ditch the ac system.

ok, im just going to let it all out. I wouldnt mind taking it to a shop but...A. there is no interior, dash, or seats B. there motor is all disconnected except for the A/C and C. It has a certificate of destruction (no title) and taking it to a shop would be just as illegal and I would be more likely to get caught. Where is the best place in the system to release the pressure?

The low side service port is on the compressor which makes it hard to access. A better place would be the high side service port which is located on the driver side of the car. Just following the line that goes right by the power steering line and the driver side strut. Then use a small screwdirve to push in the valve and let it all out. Again, use gloves. If you have a tire valve core tool, you can just unscrew the valve and then you don't have to depress it and wait.

but i don't know how much you want to sit there and hold the valve, when i depressurized mine, i just partially un-bolted on of the lines from the compressor and let it blow out while i stood at a safe distance...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back