The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

99 RS P1776, p0731, p1784, p0700

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Momar

10+ Year Contributor
May 31, 2010
Decatur, Illinois
A friend of mine just bought a 99 eclipse rs. It feels real doggy off of the start. Checked the codes, and these are what were pulled. They are all transmission related. Can anyone tell me where to start to figure out what is causing the problem?

Thanks
Ben

Do an individual search on the codes.

I have searched those codes. I have found some information to check the wiring to the solenoids mostly. The one thing I wonder about is one of them(I think it was the p0731) said something about first gear ratio being incorrect. What would cause that?

Anybody. I have searched the forums for these codes, and there really is minimal information. Here is what all the codes are.

P1776 Solenoid Switch Valve Latched in LR Position
P0731 Gear Ratio Error in 1st
P1784 L-R Pressure Switch Sense Circuit
P0700 Internal TCM

From what I gather P0700 is just that there is a transmission control problem. Probably caused by the others. P1776, and P1784 seem to indicate that either a solenoid is stuck in L-R, or that the computer at least thinks so. P0731 suggests that either the trans is slipping in first gear, or maybe it is not going to first gear when commanded. Could be caused by the other problems Im thinking.

So basically I need to know where to start. I plan on checking wiring first obviously. If the wiring checks out, where is the solenoid switch valve that p1776 refers to? Is it common for those to go bad? Is it in the valve body?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back