The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

General 99 GSX Revised (with CEL Codes)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheney

20+ Year Contributor
Feb 21, 2003
Morris, Illinois
Might be something incredibly simple. Was driving the car (just purchased it about a week ago today) Ran great, no issues minus the stock injectors being too small. Previous owner didn't exactly follow the standard mod path (50trim, FMIC, "Evo Black Box", Wallby 255 FP.......on stock injectors.

Anyways, left a stop sign, not hard launch by any means. went through 2nd, shifted around the 3k mark, hit 3rd gear, got to about 2.5k and it's done for. Had to have it towed back home.

Figured I'd take care of the easy stuff first. Replaced the plugs and wires just now. Checked spark with an inline tester, and I got nothin'.....I got fuel, but just doesn't want to spark.

Am I missing a fuse somewhere for the ignition or something along those lines? I find it odd it ran fine, minus the fuel cut at 4.5k for a week and then this. I feel like this is something simple that I'm just brainfarting after a long day at work and a few beers. Can't imagine both coil packs took a crap at the same time either.

Any help gents?

Best Regards,

TC

Here's a short clip.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Yeah, last night about 830pm I figured it out. Went under the hood and checked all my connections. None of them seemed "loose" but must've been, because it fired up right after that. And actually ran better than it had ever run. Very smooth, no vibration, no noises. Just purred. Drove it 250ft, it died again. Texted the previous owner and told him, he replied "just push down on the ignitor plug by the fuel rail and it'll start.

Good to know it was a known problem...:rolleyes:

Sounds like you need a new ignitor connector. Sheridan engineering has them.

Last night I pulled the connector apart. Took a look and it looks good, but whatever. Put it back in, and I only have spark on 1 & 4 cyl, 2 & 3 are no spark. That would coincide with either 1. The specific coil pack for 2 & 3 or the ignitor connection (ignitor control module according to Autozone).

The ICM from Autozone is JUST the one part of the connector. Not the wire side. I checked the wires and connections on the harness and they seem clean and not frayed. So my question now is:

How do I rule out if its the male or female side of the connector? It's sending power to the coil pack for Cyl 1&4, but not 2&3.

If the connector is not broken and clicks in secure then you may have a bad ignitor. The ignitor connector seems to get broken on a lot of dsm's for some reason, but it sounds like your connector is good.

Well, finally got my "ICM" or Ignitor as we call it. Replaced it and the connector...and now I have my cylinders 2&3 with no spark. Going to verify the coil packs and most likely replace it. Hopefully that's the end of this ordeal.

Look at the tachometer while the engine is running. Is it reading exactly half of what the rpm should be? If so bad ignitor or ignitor harness. If it reads accurate, bad coil, wires, or plugs.

Look at the tachometer while the engine is running. Is it reading exactly half of what the rpm should be? If so bad ignitor or ignitor harness. If it reads accurate, bad coil, wires, or plugs.

I already replaced the wire harness and Ignitor, also the plugs, and wires. I'm only firing on cyl 2&3 which are both on the same coil pack. That will be here Tuesday. Rpm is good after I replaced the Ignitor. Now the coil pack. After this, I should be good. *fingers crossed*

Well, replaced the coil pack. And no change. It's a new ignitor module, connector, new plugs and wires, and new coil pack. It's just cyl 2&3. 1&4 are good.

CPS maybe??

It sounds like it could be one of the coil drivers in the ecu... Maybe it's time to swap another ecu to see if that works. There is a coil driver that fires each of the coils, so either a bad driver or a bad wire from the ecu to the coil could cause your problem.

It sounds like it could be one of the coil drivers in the ecu... Maybe it's time to swap another ecu to see if that works. There is a coil driver that fires each of the coils, so either a bad driver or a bad wire from the ecu to the coil could cause your problem.
Yeah that's a fear of mine. Previous owner has the Evo black box ECU in here, I haven't even touched it yet. Just didn't think I'd have to go down that road as it's ran good, cruised through 2nd gear, hit 3rd good and then *poof* dead. My gauges went all goofy too.

Unfortunately I think it's just about time to go down that road. :|
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Went looking for the ECU and look what I found...half disconnected and not functioning. HKS Turbo timer. Electrically this thing is a nightmare.

Yikes! OMG Isn't it amazing now to think that it ever ran at all like that? No wonder it would only make it a few hundred feet and die... :toobad:

Yikes! OMG Isn't it amazing now to think that it ever ran at all like that? No wonder it would only make it a few hundred feet and die... :toobad:

Now the tricky part. He never tuned the EVO ECU, so now I'm curious if I install a standard 99 ECU if it will run without an issue, at least to get it tuned and then new injectors... It has a Garrett 50 trim and FMIC, Wally 255 fuel pump, but NO wideband, stock injectors, and no fuel pressure regulator.

Yes. That or PTU, coil, ECU. FYI: CAS determines which cylinder pair to fire while CPS determines when to fire.
Whats really weird is all the videos and posts ive seen say that the car dies after a certain amount of time when the CAS failed. I can run for as long as I want, just on cyl 1&4. So I'm aiming for the ECU first. Maybe I'll get lucky

no codes? no cel?

When it starts to do the 2 cylinder thing spray some starter fluid on the intake filter and see if runs on 4clyinders for a few seconds. If it does u have a fueling problem.

no codes? no cel?

When it starts to do the 2 cylinder thing spray some starter fluid on the intake filter and see if runs on 4clyinders for a few seconds. If it does u have a fueling problem.

Well, finally got it running again. I replaced the ECU and it fired up great. Drove it about 60 miles, started to head home, stopped for a pop, started it back up, CEL pops on, and it runs like it's back on 2 cyl....

I had it towed. Here are the codes it's throwing now:

P0403 (EGR) , P1104 (Turbo Wastegate), P1105(0=FP), P0302 cyl 2 misfire, P0202 injector

I'm at a loss. Never had the codes. Replaced ECU. And I get these.

Anyone see a common issue that would cause it to do this? The shop cleared the codes, drove it 10 minutes, no issues. Drive it more, and they come back. I just find it odd that it runs fine and then this hits and its toast again.

The even double checked the injector and it was good to go. Drove fine, so I'm leaning back towards an electrical intermittent issue.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back