The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G 99 GSX. Modified. Takes5 or 6 Minutes of On/Off Cranking to Start//Link v3 EMS

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stiggity99

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 31, 2011
York Haven, Pennsylvania
Greetings:
I purchased a '99 GSX 5spd Shell Back in 12/14. Started working on it in July 2015. Built engine, stock trans/xfer case. All the bolt-ons. Running a fuel lab regulator, Walbro 400 re-wired fuel pump, FIC 1120 cc injectors. The entire engine was in my 96 TSi, and was tuned, so the ECU has the same tune on it, except I had to checkmark "Use NONm 95/96 CAS", I turn it over probably 12-15 times and it will fire 1 cylinder. Turn key off, wait 15 to 20 seconds, turn it over again, it fires 1 cylinder. This goes on for 5 or 6 minutes, and then all of the sudden it starts like it should. Brand new BPR8ES plugs gapped to .025. Magnacore wires. My fuel pressure gauge says 43.5psi, but aren't I supposed to set it to 43.5PSI with the vacuum line disconnected, then plug in the rubber line back in.. Hrrrmm.. just typing this question, leads me to believe my fuel pressure is whacked..

Any thoughts??

What does ECMlink say the coolant temp is when you first start cranking? Sounds like a bad CTS.

Also, BPR8ES plugs are 2 steps colder. Why are you running such a cold plug?

the coolant temp sensor's harness was missing its connector. So I had to source a connector and solder it on. I remember the color codes were different. Also heard it doesn't matter which way the 2 wires are hooked up. If this is the case, the sensor is probably bad.. I'll check the temperature link is reading. I mean, if its 55degree's tomorrow, link should say something close... mebbe 45degrees. And yes, I'm using a NON 95/96 CAS. IO went with the BPR8ES plugs because, in my last configuration, once boost reached 22/23/24 PSI it would blow the spark out. I have 9:1 pistons, rods, cams, springs, big injectors, all the go fast stuff, but it's all I can do to back it out of the garage to clean up! ;) Thanks for the input.

I guarantee you weren't experiencing spark blowout at 24 PSI. Maybe you have a problem with the ignition system, but it's not spark blowout. At those boost levels I still see no reason to run a plug that cold.

I'd consider going back to the BPR7ES, or if those are too hot going with the BR7ES.

Your coolant temperature sensor should read near ambient temperature after the car sits overnight. If it's off more than 10 degrees or so, you have an issue.

link is reading -74degrees when its 50 outside. i ordered a new sensor. when i unplug the connector its reading the same thing... -74 is it true i might have soldered the pigtail backwards
I guarantee you weren't experiencing spark blowout at 24 PSI. Maybe you have a problem with the ignition system, but it's not spark blowout. At those boost levels I still see no reason to run a plug that cold.

I'd consider going back to the BPR7ES, or if those are too hot going with the BR7ES.

Your coolant temperature sensor should read near ambient temperature after the car sits overnight. If it's off more than 10 degrees or so, you have an issue.

just wanted to say how Logical all of you are. it indeed was the coolant temp sensor. i didnt have the connector seated properly. starts right up. Thank Both of you.
link is reading -74degrees when its 50 outside. i ordered a new sensor. when i unplug the connector its reading the same thing... -74 is it true i might have soldered the pigtail backwards

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back