The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

99 gst with one problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbutch88

Probationary Member
Jul 30, 2013
Sioux Falls, South_Dakota
alright ive tried to post everywhere but but my account wont let me. So please dont delete because I visit the site very often just dont post alot. I have a 99 eclipse gst, just rebuilt motor, and put trans on and dropped motor in. Trans shifts freely by the fork by hand but as soon as I hook up linkage at transmission it is stuck in 5th. I bled the clutch, adjusted it, and I suspect it to be a bad cable. Just wondering how I make sure that is what it is, or if anyone else may have had this problem? I properly stepped in flywheel and torqued clutch. Possible bad throwout? But transworked fine upon removal and now I am stuck in 5th. Can a mod either move this to drivetrain thread or maybe give me a username I can possibly pm for help. Please dont delete i have looked high and low for answer.

Have you tried moving the shifter cables back and forth before hooking them up to make sure they move freely? If they do, the problem lies elsewhere. You can even grab the shifter counter weight and see if you can go in and out of gear that way. If you can get in and out of gear by way of manually moving the counter weight without the cables hooked up, but not with the cables installed, then it may indeed be your cables.

Thank you for the reply, I was really thinking cables myself but being in the auto industy I know better than to just throw parts at it. Any ideas for trying to lube the cables to possibly get them free while still in the vehicle ,just until i finish my build and get new.

Take the shifter cables off thew trans and try to shift it into each gear at the transmission, if you still have the same problem you made have damaged a shift rail or shift fork

Thank you for the reply, I was really thinking cables myself but being in the auto industy I know better than to just throw parts at it. Any ideas for trying to lube the cables to possibly get them free while still in the vehicle ,just until i finish my build and get new.

At the dealership I work at, we have silicone spray. If you have access to that, maybe try to spray that into the shifter cable sleeves to see if it helps.

Take the shifter cables off thew trans and try to shift it into each gear at the transmission, if you still have the same problem you made have damaged a shift rail or shift fork

This is what I was implying with my earlier post. Glad I'm not the only one thinking it.

Well its like I said, on the weight where the cables hook to the transmission moves freely as it should. The only thing is when I hook up the cables I can't get out fifth. And even with the weighted part that the cables hooke, if that's all the way toward the rear of the car I can't push the cable up far enough to connect it, the weighted part has to be somewhat toward the front of the car. If that makes sense

OK, did some looking over my lunch break and the cable is not totally seized, but I do notice that the up and down movement only goes up and down when the forward and rear movement is in the center, hopefully that's normal and makes sense to someone her. Its really starting to get to me as this is the last problem I must resolve before starting her up for the first time. Once again thanks for the help so far guys. I have been searching for a diagram as to how the linkage movement is supposed to work but no luck yet and I will continue to search

OK, did some looking over my lunch break and the cable is not totally seized, but I do notice that the up and down movement only goes up and down when the forward and rear movement is in the center, hopefully that's normal and makes sense to someone her. Its really starting to get to me as this is the last problem I must resolve before starting her up for the first time. Once again thanks for the help so far guys. I have been searching for a diagram as to how the linkage movement is supposed to work but no luck yet and I will continue to search

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back