The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

99 eclipse transmission help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

99eclipse247

Probationary Member
Mar 5, 2015
Stafford, Virginia
I have a 99 eclipse gs with a manual trans and im having trouble with noises coming from the transmission, I took the little end plate off because I thought it was an inspection plate and I was trying to diagnose why the car wouldnt stay in 5th gear without holding it, all I saw were the 2 bearings for the input and intermediate shafts, so I put the plate back on, drained the trans and filled it with some 80w 90 gear oil. The car made no noises before but now when I decelerate in gear it makes a terrible grinding noise until I hit the gas or push the clutch in, the car made no noises before that and it went great except for the 5th gear issue, any ideas what could have caused it?

I have a 99 eclipse gs with a manual trans and im having trouble with noises coming from the transmission, I took the little end plate off because I thought it was an inspection plate and I was trying to diagnose why the car wouldnt stay in 5th gear without holding it, all I saw were the 2 bearings for the input and intermediate shafts, so I put the plate back on, drained the trans and filled it with some 80w 90 gear oil. The car made no noises before but now when I decelerate in gear it makes a terrible grinding noise until I hit the gas or push the clutch in, the car made no noises before that and it went great except for the 5th gear issue, any ideas what could have caused it?
What up bro, sounds like your fifth gear syncro or actual gear is worn out. I would remove the trans and have it inspected, the cause of the issue really depends on how the trans was treated. Servicing, racing and time all play in the life of the trans component's.

What up bro, sounds like fifth gear syncro or actual gear is worn out. I would remove the trans and have it inspected, the cause of the issue really depends on how the trans was treated. Servicing, racing and time all play in the life of the trans component's.
I figured that was my problem with 5th but now I cant understand why the trans grinds whenever I slow down in gear, could it be the fluid im using?, it never made this noise until I took that service cover off and then changed the fluid.

Before I changed the fluid it shifted and drove perfectly in every other gear except for 5th with no grinding on decel.

When you drained the old fluid was it metallic? I am not sure howndifferent the non turno 5speed is from the turbo but you can access and change out 5th gear from the end plate with trans still in car. People do this uograding to the taller evo3 5th.

When you drained the old fluid was it metallic? I am not sure howndifferent the non turno 5speed is from the turbo but you can access and change out 5th gear from the end plate with trans still in car. People do this uograding to the taller evo3 5th.
It didnt really look metallic but It was real dirty, do you know off the top of your head what you have to remove to get to 5th I removed the end plate but all I could see was the 2 bearings in there which I believe is for the input and intermediate shafts, and they look like they should slide right out if necessary only held in by a couple snap rings.

first off is this a turbo car? if its na than what he said about evo 5th gear doesnt apply.

but if it is turbo its a w5m33 and its easy but you need a few pullers. one with very thin hooks so you can get under the gears
if its non turbo, i dont know myself how to swap 5th but maybe somebody else does, might be easy too
its hard to explain. but 5th and reverse are right at the outside, and you can get at them easily, even with the tranny in the car. 1-4 gears are inside the main case and you have to take the whole case apart to get at, complete rebuild required basically

lots of knowledge here ,i would also shoot an email with info about your car and trans to the guys over at jacks transmissions. those guys eat and sleep all manner of trans ,and cur their teeth on our transmissions. i am sure they would invite any questions you have ,see also their faq section for info on how the wrong fluid can make be things worse. good luck

Hahaha. U gommers!!!! It's a 420A. That's a Chrysler manual trans. It requires ATF+4. That's y the noise is worsening now he changed the fluids. He put regular manual gear lube in it. As for the popping out. Yes it's a Chrysler transmission. They are horrible the syncros are shot.

I swear this site is more entertaining that watch a couple of monkeys try to f!#k a greased football

As for the op. Sorry man. Ur trans was more than likely salvageable before. But now u put the wrong fluid in it it's probably fubar ed at minimum the syncros are gone. Good luck

Atf+4. Correctly explained for the Chrysler trans

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-03-09-00-50-14.png
    Screenshot_2015-03-09-00-50-14.png
    99.1 KB · Views: 92
Its the non turbo model, and someone else told me to either put the texaco mtx fluid, or pennzoil syncromesh in it and since the Chrysler dealership was as helpful as a box of rocks and "couldnt find" the texaco mtx, i just went with the pennzoil syncromesh and that cleared up the grinding in every gear except for second, would you still advise me to flush it out and put Atf+4 in it?

I haven't been driving the car because i just bought it and it needs a brake job terribly, so hopefully the trans is salvageable if i just flush out the old stuff. But this is the wierdest problem i have ever come across, it pulls hard and makes no noises if im on the gas or if i press the clutch in but as soon as i decelerate in second it makes the grinding noise.

You have a Chrysler trans. At4+4 is that it is designed for. Unless someone has swapped out the syncros with bronze ones. The syncros in your trans from what I understand are like the older ford transmissions. They are fiber covered much like clutches in a auto trans or similar to Chevrolet lsd in rear ends that take special friction modifers what happens to break shoes in a rear drum when the axle seal leaks in a truck. The break shoes become saturated and turn to mush the same things happen to ur syncros. The grinding noise could be the syncros wore thru to the backing plates. Or could be excessive gear wear. There is rly no way to know for sure unless it is removed and tore down. I am no expert on transmissions by far. But I do know that improper fluid selection can cause all kinds of problems. 1 table spoon of atf can ruin a CVT trans to the point it's cheaper to replace than repair. Always do the research on what fluids your car requires. As for the dealership. Chrysler now nothing about the eclipse you need to talk to a mitsubishi tech. Which I am for a dealership. These cars are getting some age. Dealerships no longer see these things in the shop. Rates are high and people are cheap. On top of most of the techs that worked on these things new. Have moved on to other things by now. If the cars are no longer produced so does the training goes with it. I personally know that mitsubishi no longer has any training for the eclipse line in Chicago or Atlanta and those are there primary training facilities in the states. I have attended both in the past for evo and Icar training I did save some of the factory paper manuals when the dearer was swapping to online manuals all paper manuals where thrown away. I also have a subscription to all data pro and the information there is exact copies of the paper manuals. I have checked. Like gi Joe's knowing is half the battle

Hahaha. U gommers!!!! It's a 420A. That's a Chrysler manual trans. It requires ATF+4. That's y the noise is worsening now he changed the fluids. He put regular manual gear lube in it. As for the popping out. Yes it's a Chrysler transmission. They are horrible the syncros are shot.

Is this true for automatic transmissions also? 420A's needing ATF+4

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back