The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

99 7 bolt ???

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Djbaldhead

Probationary Member
Jun 14, 2017
Mobile, Alabama
Sorry. Didn't know where to put this post as I have limited access as of right now to the site.

So I've been doing research before I buy my first dsm. I'm wanting to do the 6 bolt because from what I'm reading it will hold up better to the power that id like to have.

Now I've come across a couple of disccusions (not sure if they were on this site) saying that the 7 bolts out of the 98-99 2g were less prone to the boogy man known as crankwalk. Is this true? If it is then what's the factor? Depending on the answers I might come to stand still on which motor I want

I didn't know where else to ask this but I have a 1995 TSI. Should I do a 6 bolt swap? I plan on doing a full build to reach 550+ WHP . Any info would really help. Again sorry if this is not the right place to ask this.

There are many threads out there on built motors... search "built motor" and you'll find everything you need to know. I think in general, people swap 6 bolts in or use the 98-99 longblock; both with forged rods and pistons for those power levels. I think plenty have made the 95-96 bolts work just fine, but im not knowledgeable on that subject.

Most builds I see are: 6 bolt swap, forged rods and pistons w/ARP rod bolts, multilayer metal headgasket w/ ARP head studs, cams/springs/retainers, and a big turbo. And then a transmission built to try and survive that power.

I would personally never build a non-split thrust block. Not saying that crank walk always happens with those early 2g 7 bolts, but to me it's not worth the risk.

My first GSX was a 1997 model, non-split thrust block, that I purchased in 2001 from an older couple with 11k miles on it. It was their weekend car. I sold it bone stock at 81k miles. It crank walked at just over 100k for the new owner, still in stock form. It was probably starting to walk when I owned it and I just didn't notice the symptoms since this was a relatively smaller issue back then as the cars were newer.

Having seen this happen to a car I took great care of, and still in stock form, made my mind up to avoid these early 2G 7bolts.

Last edited:
6 bolt, 7 bolt, they can both achieve the power level you're looking for. The only real factor, is how well it's built. Even a 95-97, non-split thrust bearing engine can have the same reliability as the others, so long as it's built properly for the power. I've never had crankwalk issues with any of the 7 bolt engines that came in my previous cars when I bought them. The only said issue I've had was with an engine I bought from a guy in Denver that turned out to have some pretty bad crankwalk and I didn't know until after I put a couple hundred miles on it, and was forced to put my 6 bolt back in to keep my car driveable. Wasted $450 on that engine just to trash it. Anyway, I've had 6 and 7 bolt, but unlike a lot of people, I bought what was available to complete my car. It didn't matter to me how many bolts it had.

I would personally never build a non-split thrust block. Not saying that crank walk always happens with those early 2g 7 bolts, but to me it's not worth the risk.

My first GSX was a 1997 model, non-split thrust block, that I purchased in 2001 from an older couple with 11k miles on it. It was their weekend car. I sold it bone stock at 81k miles. It crank walked at just over 100k for the new owner, still in stock form. It was probably staring to walk when I owned it and I just didn't notice the symptoms since this was a relatively smaller issue back then as the cars were newer.

Having seen this happen to a car I took great car of, and still in stock form, made my mind up to avoid these early 2G 7bolts.

Looks like I'll need to do a swap then .

6 bolt, 7 bolt, they can both achieve the power level you're looking for. The only real factor, is how well it's built. Even a 95-97, non-split thrust bearing engine can have the same reliability as the others, so long as it's built properly for the power. I've never had crankwalk issues with any of the 7 bolt engines that came in my previous cars when I bought them. The only said issue I've had was with an engine I bought from a guy in Denver that turned out to have some pretty bad crankwalk and I didn't know until after I put a couple hundred miles on it, and was forced to put my 6 bolt back in to keep my car driveable. Wasted $450 on that engine just to trash it. Anyway, I've had 6 and 7 bolt, but unlike a lot of people, I bought what was available to complete my car. It didn't matter to me how many bolts it had.

So you never had any issues with a quality build?

Crankwalk is way over hyped. Some members have had 6 bolts walk some had 7 bolts walk. Both have their good and bad points. Every motor doesn't matter chevy, ford, Honda, or dsm all have a weak spot when you start making more power. I have two 7 bolts one over 210k still going strong. IMO it's crazy to pull a good motor just cuz some people had issues. Maybe just me. If you're going for 550 awhp then building the bottom end is a good idea 6 or 7 bolt. If you go 6 bolt your gonna need 2g or forged pistons, 7 bolt you need rods. I guess if it gives you some piece of mind go for the 6 bolt. Best of luck

Crankwalk is way over hyped. Some members have had 6 bolts walk some had 7 bolts walk. Both have their good and bad points. Every motor doesn't matter chevy, ford, Honda, or dsm all have a weak spot when you start making more power. I have two 7 bolts one over 210k still going strong. IMO it's crazy to pull a good motor just cuz some people had issues. Maybe just me. If you're going for 550 awhp then building the bottom end is a good idea 6 or 7 bolt. If you go 6 bolt your gonna need 2g or forged pistons, 7 bolt you need rods. I guess if it gives you some piece of mind go for the 6 bolt. Best of luck

Thanks brother for the info

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back