The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

98 GSX Time Trial build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/evo-rear-lsd-in-a-1g-2g-housing.467544/

The following axle setups will work with the EVO rear LSD:
2.2G NON LSD axles (2G car ONLY)
4. Hybrid 2G LSD/ EVO rear axles: I am aware that one or two 2G guys have done this. It is the same as the 1G swap, however, Im not sure if you have to swap the bearing tripods from the EVO axles onto the 2G axles in this case or if the 2G tripod is the same as that of the EVO.

Yes!

I've got evo 8 cups in my diff.

Where did you get them?
Out of curiosity, where did you read that non LSD axles don't work?

I thought we had 2 options for our 2Gs
1. Non-LSD axles
2. Evo inner cups (swapped onto axles)

There's a thread called "Let's talk diffs" and somewhere in there people are saying that 2G non-LSD inners are slightly smaller and even though they seem to go all the way into the diff, they don't resulting in spline damage. It's deep in a long thread I'll see if I can find the post.

That's the problem I'm having is I can't find a definitive answer on this issue.

Also, took it apart today at work, cleaned it and reassembled it. I think I'm in love LOL
IMG_20171026_093917166.jpg

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/evo-rear-lsd-in-a-1g-2g-housing.467544/

The following axle setups will work with the EVO rear LSD:
2.2G NON LSD axles (2G car ONLY)
4. Hybrid 2G LSD/ EVO rear axles: I am aware that one or two 2G guys have done this. It is the same as the 1G swap, however, Im not sure if you have to swap the bearing tripods from the EVO axles onto the 2G axles in this case or if the 2G tripod is the same as that of the EVO.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/lets-talk-difs.400884/page-4

Post 79. Says it was initially thought to be good to go with non-LSD axles, but has been shown that they don't fully engaged the splines.

I bought mine from a guy parting out an Evo. Have to keep an eye out almost everyday as they usually go quick. Also, check ebay as I've seen Australians sell evo 3 cups.

I'm sure DSS can build you axle$ if you're looking for something that will hold power.

Our tripod bearings measured only a few thousandths different than evo bearings. I literally just bolted the evo cups to my axles and all is kosher. 7 months, about 1500 miles, and over 150 autocross runs with launches and power sliding and they're still fine. (Enough abuse to trash my center diff.)

I bought mine from a guy parting out an Evo. Have to keep an eye out almost everyday as they usually go quick. Also, check ebay as I've seen Australians sell evo 3 cups.

I'm sure DSS can build you axle$ if you're looking for something that will hold power.

Our tripod bearings measured only a few thousandths different than evo bearings. I literally just bolted the evo cups to my axles and all is kosher. 7 months, about 1500 miles, and over 150 autocross runs with launches and power sliding and they're still fine. (Enough abuse to trash my center diff.)

I found mine on EvoM...same thing tho. Was watching for a couple weeks and then had to snap em up quick. I got the axles and a evo 8 diff in the same deal. There out there....they just go fast. :)

What's crazy is, going down the front straight, you can see my tow strap getting sucked under the car! Time for a diffuser LOL
Great job man, and yes, time for a diffuser of some type.

I remember getting past some C6 Z06's out on the road course years ago, and then having the drivers come over after the session to ask what the hell car I was driving. :)

One of the dads at my daughters' school has a ZL1 1LE being delivered later this year. He and his racing friends are renting out Thunderhill Raceway in early Feb. I plan on going out to get a ride in that car - hopefully I don't blow chunks. LOL

Great job man, and yes, time for a diffuser of some type.

I remember getting past some C6 Z06's out on the road course years ago, and then having the drivers come over after the session to ask what the hell car I was driving. :)

One of the dads at my daughters' school has a ZL1 1LE being delivered later this year. He and his racing friends are renting out Thunderhill Raceway in early Feb. I plan on going out to get a ride in that car - hopefully I don't blow chunks. LOL

Awesome! I had this blue C5 Z06 on Hoosiers holding me up. Wouldn't give me the point by for a full lap. He would over slow corner entry, which of course slowed me down, but he'd pull me out of the corner. I guess he thought that was one way of going faster than me? I eventually got around him, but lap times suffered huge.

I saw that you decided to go Evo 3 rear diff, why not usdm Evo? Is it a performance vs cost benefit by going evo 3.

I also what to get your feedback on that ChaseBay MC. It will free up a lot of space in the bay!

This was just the cheapest option for me. My racing budget for the year is pretty tight as it is. If this works as well as an Evo8, as I'm inclined to believe through what I've read, it should do fine.

And absolutely. I'm really excited to have brakes that give some feedback LOL

Just wanted to say that the Evos 2-9 all use the same rear mechanical LSD - MR166619
The only difference is the Evo 3 is an older unit.

I recently got one too from Thailand! :hellyeah:

Just wanted to say that the Evos 2-9 all use the same rear mechanical LSD - MR166619
The only difference is the Evo 3 is an older unit.

I recently got one too from Thailand! :hellyeah:

So through all those years, mitsu has not upgraded or really change the style of diff. The evo 3 is closely spec'd to the evo 8?

So through all those years, mitsu has not upgraded or really change the style of diff. The evo 3 is closely spec'd to the evo 8?

They are all 1.5 way clutch type differentials. The only thing I can think of is if the actual discs are a different size, but that would be a minimal difference. Set them to 100% lockup and have fun!

They are all 1.5 way clutch type differentials. The only thing I can think of is if the actual discs are a different size, but that would be a minimal difference. Set them to 100% lockup and have fun!

Honestly this is great info to know. If I ever decided to do a Evo Diff upgrade going EvoIII is probably a cost efficient upgrade over USDM prices.

Thanks guys.

So today I pulled the motor apart. Measured the pistons and cylinders, everything is still in spec. .005" piston to wall. Looking good. Did find an issue though. Looks like a couple bearings were starting to cavitate a bit. The pic I posted is from cylinder 4 lower rod bearing. Trying to figure out what caused it. From what I'm reading, it's air bubbles in the oil. Not sure how I'm getting that. Maybe an update to the oil pump. Not sure. Any ideas?
IMG_20171107_140736878.jpg

Sloshing causing the oil pick up to become partially open to suck air?

But if you can wait it out. The Frontline fab oil pump is about to be available or is for 6 bolt motors. Might be good to look at for consistent oil pressure.

Sloshing causing the oil pick up to become partially open to suck air?

But if you can wait it out. The Frontline fab oil pump is about to be available or is for 6 bolt motors. Might be good to look at for consistent oil pressure.

Well, I'm running the Moroso oil pan. Can't see that it's sloshing to the point of aerating the oil. Also this was the only bearing that showed signs of this.

I'd love to get that Frontline oil pump, but I do NOT have the money for that LOL. Maybe eventually. But not now.

So here's where I'm at with my rebuild for next season. I've been running ACL aluglides for a while now. Bobby's pointed me in the direction of King Bearings. Now, this last build I ran everything at .001"-.0015" while running Brad Penn 20w50. I'm thinking of going up to the +.001" bearing to give me a little more clearance and help dump a little oil pressure since it was higher than I like. So with added clearance and the OFH mod, oil pressure should be ok. I'm also gonna delete the squirters. Which will bring the pressure back up. I have a spring in my OFH pressure relief that was meant for when you delete the BShafts. With the bearing deal I discovered I really wanna get on top of the oil pressure and oiling system. Insight?

I'd like to try them. But I also have that whole "the old setup worked fine, why change what worked?" which is an accurate portrayal of my dilemma at the moment. Lol

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back