The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

ECMlink 98 GSX, Is the tune looking any better?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

There is no knock in your logs.

Fuel trims are still jacked and your ISC looks high. Is it plugged in?

Just some experience. I once forgot a rag in a 4 liter explorer and it took good 20 minutes before I got huge misfire. I mean you knew what was happening. I pulled the throttle body off and all I saw was strings inside. Anyways had to pull the manifold and plugs to fish out the rest of it. Was not fun but sold a tune up on top of the previes repair. I found warn out plugs and had them out anyways. But the truck servived and still kicking. Lesson learn. Always use paper rag or paper tape...period. Never again.

I don't think this is a rag issue, but its certainly a possible cause.. :-/
heres a log with a 3rd gear pull to ~7k RPM, before the clutch.

Attachments

• log.2017.05.23-07.elg
    162.5 KB · Views: 41
Based on that log, your fuel trims, wideband factor, and AFRest vs. AEM wideband arent that much different then post clutch install. Essentially, whoever tuned it didnt do a very thorough job.

I just looked at the log before the clutch and I am not an expert but:

- I tried to make sure your wideband is reading correctly according to the voltage chart and it seems to log correctly. I even compare the voltage to mine and it's really close.

- Tps is off. Needs work. Period.

- Your fuel trims are off, which means that your not calibrated in the lower end of MAF COMP scale.

- Your WBFactor is off in some spots as much as 20% during wot. Which means you are off in MAF COMP higher end of scale.

- You are targeting too low of afr.

- You have 10 raw counts of knock during wot. Keep it up and I smell part out is coming.

Conclusion: Lower the boost. Don't go wot. Adjust tps. Calibrate maf comp so that fuel trims are around 0 or tiny bit in the positive. Redo your target afr to something more human friendly. Do wot and adjust maf comp so that your wbfactor stays close to zero. You know when everything is good is when your afrestimate matches wideband afr. Then report back.

gst w psi
the friend who is helping me tune is a good person. he seems to be extremely familiar with the interface/GUI. i will let him read this entire thread, this week, and i'll report back with a log.

TPS is still jacked, DA fuel table is still too rich. Same sh**, different log...

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/98-gsx-is-the-tune-looking-any-better.512044/#post-153649164

If you don't take the advice we give you and actually use it to make changes to your tune, I'm not sure why you bother to keep asking for help. My patience has run out here.

Well.. we added a lot of fuel, and pulled a lot of timing, and its still knocking 12.7, which is leading me to believe something is causing the knock. I know installing a clutch takes a lot of parts off. But besides the upper intercooler piping, intake, and starter.... I guess I'm trying to find out what went wrong. Here is a log, after seriously richening it up, and pulling a lot of timing, the knock is still there. @GST with PSI , I got my tps volts to .63, then at the end of the log, it was at .69.... Hrrmm.. not sure what it reads in this log, but I still seriously need more help grasping the concept(s). My fuel trims, idle trims are great, wideband is jiving with the afrest, again... I bumped my idle up to 1100 cuz that's where I Like it. Heres todays log... :(

Attachments

• log.2017.07.12-02.elg
    113.3 KB · Views: 43
At this point, I can't help you. I'm just repeating myself again and again thread after thread:

Your TPS is still messed up. You're not even 100% in your log.

Your DA fuel table is still set too rich. I've literally given you a table to upload, and yet still after telling you 15 times to upload it, you haven't.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

And, I have a suspicion you're still letting the same idiot tune the car that I told you not to 100 threads ago. Dude, you're literally in the same boat you were in a year ago when I first tried to help you get your tune sorted: http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/98...annot-boost-past-20psi.503630/#post-153591266

I'd recommend taking your car to someone knowledgeable to get it worked on in person. Despite my best efforts, we're simply not making any progress here.

You cannot help those who cannot help themselves.

I was concerned about that 20% WB factor but he said that they were jiving somewhere in the post and I couldn't see "where" they were doing that. I'm at a loss.

I'd wipe the slate completely and start over. back to square one.

@GST with PSI
I flashed the DA tables you sent me a year ago, applied the settings you helped me with a year ago, and its doing the same exact thing it has been, ever since I put the clutch in. Right around ~5200rpm it trips the CEL, with an enormous amount of knock... I do believe its coming from somewhere else than the engine detonating. attached is a log

P.S
As soon as I get a chance, I will manually adjust my tpsvoltage... again, and again, and get it perfect.

Attachments

• log.2017.07.13-02.elg
    446.8 KB · Views: 48
Could this "5500RPM knock" be caused by the main ground harness is attached to the trans, but not the block..the trans is aluminum, so my brother helped me line the transmission up, and then both of us were re-assembling it. he took a 4" bolt, and attached the ground, to a bell housing hole, but it doesn't thread into the block... so it's going absolutely nothing..... I know, RIGHT NOW, this 5500rpm knock is not ("_tune_") related, boost leak related.... aye?? I need to drive to one of our garages, and attach that ground strap to the block....

@GST with PSI
dude, your very smart, and if ya'll cud only understand the countless hours, reading and reading this priceless information. please dobt give up on me. tonite i plan on grounding the starter, and adjusting tpsvolts. do i uncheck tps adjustments, set it to .63, start vehicle to verify, then do a tps adjustment via Link?

Basically, adjust your throttle body cable first so that you can get 100% throttle (do a search on how to do that). Then, turn on link, loosen your tps bolts and manually adjust the tps by rotating it. Do this as you are looking at your laptop and you can tighten the bolts at the exact spot where it reads 0.63 volts. Then, install a GT42R and you're done.

Vegas:
Har Har, LOL..if I put the entire car together, I would hope I could adjust a throttle cable.
This will be attempt #3 at adjusting my tps. I even purchased a 10' usb extension cable, just for this.. I loosen the 2 bolts while link is streaming, set it to .63, tighten them down.. and whamo!!! now it reads .65 after tightening it.. sooo.... got link to display .61, tightened the (2) 8mm's down... link Is saying .63.. I start the car, capture is reading, .65volts. Hrrrmm..:aha: okie dokie...what I will attempt again, is..... adjust tps to read .59.... tighten it down, now it will display .61, start car and it'll read .63. Heres my _real_ question... before making this adjustment.. I should a) turn enable tps adjustments off....... b) leave them on. If a)'s the answer, after the vehicle is running, both 8mm's are tight, and I see .63v, should I then do a tps adjustment??? or just leave it alone. Jafro's tutorial was educative, but leaves a lot of questions to be asked.. thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:beatentodeath:

The goal is to have the voltage at 0.63 so no need for tps adjust if you have 0.63. Try doing this while the car is warm. Also, adjust your throttle cable when the car is warm.

Latest log looks much better for fuel trims, and wideband factor. What fuel are u using?

doubleclutch:
I fixed the issue where it was knocking at 5500rpm. I separated all EMS electronic clips, inspected and cleaned each one. Here the starter ground wasn't connected to the starter, it was just attached to the trans, not the engine block. I also remounted my MBC , MAP sensor.. .this is GREAT!!! now, as GST with PSI said a year ago.... add boost and timing to your taste.. NICE!!! I was feeling so shitty about my car for 2 weeks, I was almost convinced to part it out!!!! I'm running Sunoco 93 10% ethanol

doubleclutch:
I fixed the issue where it was knocking at 5500rpm. I separated all EMS electronic clips, inspected and cleaned each one. Here the starter ground wasn't connected to the starter, it was just attached to the trans, not the engine block. I also remounted my MBC , MAP sensor.. .this is GREAT!!! now, as GST with PSI said a year ago.... add boost and timing to your taste.. NICE!!! I was feeling so sh**ty about my car for 2 weeks, I was almost convinced to part it out!!!! I'm running Sunoco 93 10% ethanol

Great! And now you actually have a tune that is half decent.

boostdawd:
i alreasy offered Brett money, and he said no. taboo. so, i listened to him, and believe it or not im using the ecmlink WIKI deadtime settings for my injectors, and it runs awesone, just a lopey low idle and it hasnt stalled yet, but i think it may. if i bump my deadtime up to help it idle better, that will mess with the tune? probably when i get my tpsvolts to Stay at .63 it may idle better?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back