The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

98 GSX 350hp DD

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruie

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 30, 2011
Ames, Iowa
Well thanks for checking this out. I definitely have my dream car in my hands. Let's hope it doesn't poop out on me :p I got the car semi modded, but not trashed. It was well taken care of, and I only traded a base rsx for it! My plans for this car are to DD it, through Iowa rough winters i know :(. I share another car so I don't drive the eclipse whenever possible. Thus being said, i'm setting my goal for 350 hp. I've learned so much, and I intend to keep learning. I am a college student, and am almost done with my 2nd year. Yes, ALL of my loans will be upgrading this beast!

This is 2 days after I bought it
Eclipseside.jpg

Current Mod List:
Evo 3 16g turbo
A'PEXi GT spec turbo back exhaust
Injen Intake
A'PEXi Power Intake Filter
Greddy Type S BOV
A'PEXi AVC-R boost controller
B&M Short Shifter
OBX Front Strut Bar
Huge FMIC
Evo 8 Injectors
Wally 255 + rewire
18" SSR D5R Wheels with 225/40 BFGoodrich KDW
Illumina 5-position adjustable struts
Eibach Pro-Kit springs

Pretty unmolested in my opinion. Now's when I come in! I've already done most maintenance, but problems keep coming up, and I keep having to fix the mistakes of the previous owner.
This is my upgrade path:
RM sway bars
I am in the group buy for dennis grant style konis!
Aeromotive afpr
dsmlink v3 ( I HATE this avc-r boost controller)

LMK what you think! Ill post some more pictures, but theres a horrible front bumper on it. The prev. owner put it on and I hate it. I'm going back to OEM within a month.

Last edited:
Looks good man! If you ever need a hand with something, just let me know. I love working on these things :) What school are you going to? My wife graduated from Drake back in may. We live in west des moines now.

For the pcv stuff, this has all the info you could ever want to know: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-engine-fuel/366890-4g63t-pcv-system.html

As for the fmic, I've heard the VRSF short route for $290 is a good one. You might want to look into getting a walbro 190 (rewire it) and evo injectors if you don't have plans to go bigger than 350hp for a while. If you do that, you won't need an afpr. so that's one less thing to worry about.

Looks like you and I have similar goals, it's kind of a tried-and-true setup. I've got an evo 3 16g sitting on my coffee table :) waiting for a boost gauge, $25 worth of gaskets, a j-pipe, and a 1g oil feed line

Nice looking car dude. I always did like that color on the 2gb eclipses. Great plans for the build! I hope when my current DD sells that I can find something like this to do very similar modifications to. Can't wait for more updates!! :thumb:

I forgot that. I plan on getting a wally. I'm laying the grounds for a auto-x car when I ever get the chance to not DD it. Kind of why I was looking into an afpr. Im looking at a used greaddy fmic for cheap. Deciding between this and a vrsf thats on sale. Should have 1.5k to spend so soon :)

Also I HATE working on timing, as everytime I fix something, something goes wrong. This guy from TMF in ankeny wont ever respond. I was debating finding someone to help me so next time I can do it by myself.
Also i go to DMACC, but I x-fer to ISU after this semester

I also wouldn't rule out the punishment racing front mount kit. It's more than affordable, and seems to be a "true" bolt on affair. Lots of reviews as well as the VRSF kit.

I wouldnt get a greddy. I would look into a vrsf or punishment racing. The evo 16g is a great turbo and could get you further than 350. A wally 190 could get you there and no need for afpr. I have the wally 255 with afpr.

I've done enough research to whereI feel the PR is a ebay setup. I'm probably going to go with the vrsf. As far as the wally it's not that much different, shouldn't I just go with the 255 just if I ever want to go bigger?

Done some things I would like to update.
Changed all fluids today, and finally got my tail light and bumper back from being painted.

Totally facelift! Now just need a hood!
Before
IMG_20120218_150638.jpg

After
IMG_20120218_161756.jpg

Also painted the center tail light. Looks good
IMG_20120217_173415.jpg

I live in ames and have 2dsm's
a gsx
a gst
both 2g's...
Im always trying to get some help, lmk if your ever in ames.

So my evo3 16g gets here today! I also am in on thr dennis grant style koni sleeves! so this winters going to be a great one. I am now looking into some 550/650 injectors and a wally 255. Also planning on getting a vrsf FMIC this winter along with a hks ssqv! Will post pics once I park it for winter and start the teardown. I think Im going to roll with the AVC-R for this season since I am still on my 7 bolt. If it goes mid season I'll just start my 6 bolt swap early!

If you really dislike the AVC-R just remove it and get a manuel boost controller. Also there is no need to do a 6-bolt swap especially if your just looking to make 350hp. Just keep the 7-bolt and save yourself the money.

I would go with the 660 if your trying to make 350hp. Also dont do any fuel upgrades until you get some type of management system.

Time for an update. Im installing a 16g turbo, evo3 exhaust housing, wideband o2, VRSF FMIC as well as a new HKS. Ive tore everything down, waiting on a new gasket to put it back together. Heres some pics.

Attachments

• Nothing.jpg
    Nothing.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 122
  • Under car.jpg
    Under car.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back