The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

98 Eclipse Spyder Automatic 2.4L Turbo?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpydaD

Probationary Member
Oct 11, 2010
Buckeye, Arizona
Hey guys I have a an Eclipse Spyder Non Turbo 2.4L. I was wondering is it possible to install a turbo on this vehicle? How many pounds should I boost if this possible? I know the car has extremely longer cv axle shaft so to much pounds is suicide. Also we just found out that my car ecu is possible to flash a friend of mine here is awesome tuner he tuned his gsx. I want to know what possible upgrades can be done to this vehicle I just want to go faster then usual. only after market part I have is a cold air intake that's about it. Any helpful links? or suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Hey guys I have a an Eclipse Spyder Non Turbo 2.4L. I was wondering is it possible to install a turbo on this vehicle? How many pounds should I boost if this possible? I know the car has extremely longer cv axle shaft so to much pounds is suicide. Also we just found out that my car ecu is possible to flash a friend of mine here is awesome tuner he tuned his gsx. I want to know what possible upgrades can be done to this vehicle I just want to go faster then usual. only after market part I have is a cold air intake that's about it. Any helpful links? or suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

You can but it isn't really a great idea. They can't handle hardly any boost. The unequal length CV axle has nothing to do with the power. All GST's have that. The stock ECU can be flashed, however it is very limited on your car not being turbo from the factory.

swap that head from a 2.0 4g63 dohc, and bamm you got yourself a turbo 4g64 then swap over all the turbo stuff over. let me know if you need help..

hey i have a similar problem i have a 98 eclipse gs and was wanting to put in a turbo but i have an auto tranny can i still do it with out swaping trannies if so how any tips and info would be great

hey i have a similar problem i have a 98 eclipse gs and was wanting to put in a turbo but i have an auto tranny can i still do it with out swaping trannies if so how any tips and info would be great

You do not have a similar problem, as a GS coupe and a GS Spyder have 2 different engines. The coupe has the Chrysler 420a engine, whereas the Spyder has a Mitsubishi 4G64, a 2.4L SOHC engine. You might try searching for people who have built "RS-T's" or "GS-Turbo's." There really is a lot of information out there for your car. Unfortunately, not so much for the OP.

I have all the info you need to make a low budget dependable 100hp gain on your gs coupe with the 2.0 non turbo. a 57-60 trim t3, a manifold (cast from hahn or obx both work great), a 38mm wastegate (8psi spring), a tapped oil pan (I have one for sale i will ship if your not local), a oil and drain line set, a front mount intercooler with 2.5" universal pipe set with clamps and couplers, a blow off valve with a 2.5" pipe to mount it, a walbro 255lph pump, and a 12:1 fmu, and a boost gauge. wideband and oil pressure gauge are a great idea too! this setup will work with a stock ecu at 8psi max with stock injectors and no tuning and run low 13s without losing any mpg or failing emissions. you will do much better with a high flow exhaust and test pipe or high flow cat. this setup sounds like failure waiting to happen but it has never failed me yet on almost a dozen of these i have done so far! you will need to have a downpipe made because there is not one available for these cars aftermarket. feel free to hit me up for any other info

As for the spyder i believe the 4g63 head, modified 4g63 harness and stock 4g63 ecu will work great for you at stock boost levels but you will want a 16g turbo for that instead of the stock gst turbo. and you will probably want a walbro pump to support the new fuel demand and your gonna need ALL the 4g63 electrical parts and sensors other than crank sensor in order to make this work. your best bet would be to find a 4g63 2nd gen donor car to strip parts off of. your automatic will hold up fine just use an aftermarket cooler

and thats for a budget build. This guy knows what hes talking bout.

lots of honda and other import guys do this on their dds

Hey guys I have a big big problem I have a 1998 mitsubishi eclipse spyder gs the car use to be automatic I bough the car when it was coverted to manual transmission the previous owner didn't told me anything about the transmission swap now I have a proble yesterday night the passenger cv axle broke do to a bad ball joint and I can't find the correct axle for it because it's different measurements what I want to know and if you guys can help with what kind of transmission year possible could going in using the same motor of the car so I can get my car going aging can you please guys help me

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back