The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

98 Eclipse GSX "Project Envy"

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketrapson

10+ Year Contributor
May 21, 2012
Cumberland, Maryland
I bought my first dsm about a month ago and I was planning this build before I had the car. My goal is to have a Daily Driven show car that can get up and go when it needs to. I'm shooting for the 350-400 horsepower range.

My base is pretty solid with the car being a GSX. Weight will be my biggest issue since showy mods normally add weight rather than take away. My parts list that I am currently decided on follows, subject to change as the build goes on.

Exterior:
Black to Burnt copper fade paint
Extreme Dimensions B2 body kit/Stock body (undecided)
VIS G Speed CF hood
CF Hatch
Rear wiper delete
Antenna delete
Chrome Headlights with HID conversion (done)
Chrome Taillights (done)
Konig Illusion wheels Black and Machined. (18x8) (done)

Interior:
Passenger air bag delete
Custom center vent gauge cluster
Interior led change to green
Bride Euro II racing seats
OMP 4 point Harnesses
4 point roll cage body match color.
NRG Steering wheel hub
NRG quick release
NRG Steering Wheel

Audio:
Pioneer head unit
Infinity speakers
2 kicker 12" subs
2000 watt jl audio amp

Performance:
Injen short ram intake
Perrin bov (recirculated)
Punishment Racing turbo kit with PTE 6262 Turbo
Punishment Racing FMIC
1000cc injectors
Deatsch Werks 320lph fuel pump
Bbk throttle body
Venom intake manifold
Forged engine internals
Hks timing gears
Thermal R&D Exhaust (done)
Punishment Racing Downpipe
Full port and polish of intake and exhaust side
DSMlink
5 Speed Transmission Swap

Suspension and brakes:
Tein flex damper
Upper front strut brace
Upper rear strut brace
Brembo big brake kit
Green painted calipers.

Still researching on cams and engine internals, I don't know a whole lot about them. I may or may not bore the engine.

Also if anyone can point me in the right direction on transfer case upgrades I'd appreciate it. I am having a very hard time finding any sort of upgrades for the transfer case.

Attachments

• my car 4.jpg
    my car 4.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 1,935
  • my car.jpg
    my car.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 807
  • my car2.jpg
    my car2.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 270
  • my car3.jpg
    my car3.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 1,963
Last edited:
sounds real nice.......:sneaky:

Everything seemed fine to me (although I don't know much about cosmetics or engines), until I got to:

Suspension and brakes:
Tein basic damper
Upper front strut brace
Upper rear strut brace
Brembo brake rotors
Green painted calipers.

You are not going to "decimate" a track on that suspension. (Note to self: I'll bet he means a drag strip.)

jtmcinder said:
Everything seemed fine to me (although I don't know much about cosmetics or engines), until I got to:

You are not going to "decimate" a track on that suspension. (Note to self: I'll bet he means a drag strip.)

My bad, I was thinking strip and wrote track. Edited.

So far I'm liking your direction here except for I'm not feeling the green calipers with copper body. Black, gold, silver calipers perhaps but I've seen some cars around here with green calipers and unless your car is Fast and Furious green, I just don't see it looking right. I could be wrong.. it's been know to happen :)

Ive got my valve cover painted in the colors im looking at. Burnt copper and grabber green. Did it while I was bored one day and didnt take the time to get the imperfections out

I need to sandblast it and re do it. There are a lot of imperfections on the valve cover need to get out.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120621_150711.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120621_150711.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 222
Hmmm... well actually, for a full-on, super-clean, custom show car that might be pretty awesome. Especially, if you have that theme throughout. I stand corrected.

Hmmm... well actually, for a full-on, super-clean, custom show car that might be pretty awesome. Especially, if you have that theme throughout. I stand corrected.

The interior is where it's going to differentiate slightly, I have the tan and black interior, I want to have all the black wrapped in CF and all the tan body matched with green gauge and accent lighting

Made my first step into customization. My headliner was falling so I pulled it, stripped it and re wrapped it in a dark grey argyle. I unfortunately estimated wrong on the amount of adhesive id need and only got 1 can which was exhausted after the headliner, so I was unable to do the sun roof panels. They will be done next week.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120824_064120.png
    ForumRunner_20120824_064120.png
    119.7 KB · Views: 194
  • ForumRunner_20120824_064139.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120824_064139.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_20120824_055630-1.jpg
    IMG_20120824_055630-1.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 1,752
Good looking car. That material actually looks pretty interesting. I'm kind of concerned by the discoloration by the battery. It's not rust, is it?

Good looking car. That material actually looks pretty interesting. I'm kind of concerned by the discoloration by the battery. It's not rust, is it?

No, just corrosion from the battery, when I bought the car the battery terminals were caked with corrosion, I've tried everything to clean it off and it's survived everything I threw at it. It is a mixture of battery terminal cleaner, battery corrosion and terminal protector. It will be there until I get most of the work done and send the car out for paint

No, just corrosion from the battery, when I bought the car the battery terminals were caked with corrosion, I've tried everything to clean it off and it's survived everything I threw at it. It is a mixture of battery terminal cleaner, battery corrosion and terminal protector. It will be there until I get most of the work done and send the car out for paint

Jeeze. Even DSM corrosion is stubborn. Lol. Glad it's not rust though.

You gonna run that 7-800 horsepower with methinol? or are you gonna add an intercooler to that list LOL youll need some big injectors too, good luck buddy, that sounds expensive whats your budget? cause i see this being a $30k build.

PS. Extreme dementions (carbon creations) has really really bad fitment issues i had a CF hood i had to destroy, the VIS is a good call, cant really say much about ED's other CF parts but the ONLY thing good about it was the finish/clear coat. the CF fabric wasn't even layed down as symmetrically as the VIS (being a one piece). it looked good at first glance, but when comparing it to another quality CF vendor there was really no comparison between the two.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't think there is such thing as a 2.4 Stroker kit. That would just be a 4g64 block right?

As stated above you would want to add an intercooler to that list as well other fuel components such as larger injectors, fuel pump, and afpr. I would also look into getting link as well as a wideband. Also your going to need to get arp studs and rod bolts to go with those forged internals (which isn't going to be cheap). And also have you considered running e85 or meth? I would highly recommend it for your HP goals, it would make it easier. Good luck with your build, those numbers will require a lot of work, and $. But I'm sure it will be worth it!

You gonna run that 7-800 horsepower with methinol? or are you gonna add an intercooler to that list LOL youll need some big injectors too, good luck buddy, that sounds expensive whats your budget? cause i see this being a $30k build.

PS. Extreme dementions (carbon creations) has really really bad fitment issues i had a CF hood i had to destroy, the VIS is a good call, cant really say much about ED's other CF parts but the ONLY thing good about it was the finish/clear coat. the CF fabric wasn't even layed down as symmetrically as the VIS (being a one piece). it looked good at first glance, but when comparing it to another quality CF vendor there was really no comparison between the two.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't think there is such thing as a 2.4 Stroker kit. That would just be a 4g64 block right?

700hp AND show car quality? Think a bit more than 30k after its all wrapped up. Nice platform to start on though. I mean the list is LONG for 700hp not to mention the drivetrain upgrades.

I noticed you forgot to mention an upgraded clutch, and also you would go through a stock tranny quick if you were pushin that much power. My advice would be to do some more research and come up with a more reasonable hp goal. Going from completely stock to a 700 hp dsm requires more work and money then you think. Good luck

Ok, reading through your replies I noticed a few things.

A. I forgot to mention that my GSX is an automatic, and am going to be purchasing a performance built transmission before I start adding too much power.

B. I overlooked mentioning the Punishment Racing Intercooler and my fuel system upgrades, kinda feel dumb but we all make mistakes, it's in my personal parts log so I never wasn't going to have one. LOL.

C. This project is my business card. I am getting ready to start school for a business degree and open up my own customs/performance shop. So money is really no expense, as I have it figured up before paying out to any shops for tuning or installs that I am not comfortable with doing myself, the project is going to run between 30k and 40k. Good estimates guys, LOL.

urbansmoker1, Thank you for your input on ED's CF products. I'll be searching for another company to get my hatch from. The 2.4 is a typo, thanks for pointing that out, it's actually a 2.3l stroker kit from Brian Crower

Eeeeky - I'd appreciate it if you didn't bring the negativity here, I by no means am a ricer, as this project comes along you will see form and function come together.

Nice. Where are you getting the trans from? I've been looking into rebuilding my auto for performance but haven't found anyone willing to touch it, so I was going to look into buying new for my own build.

man that car looks so nice. Im jealous of it and sad at the same time you are going to put a body kit on it and lights. As for the trans build, you should send it to metro trans in Washington. They have built a bunch of DSM trannies with great success. I wouldn't go the local auto trans shop route unless they have dealt with our trannies before. Send it to someone who knows what they are doing.

I dont know how much research you have done on the body kits from ED but dont expect that to fit well either. Its my understanding that most kits will be a mess to deal with, i got mine from ED and the rear bumper was a disaster. PM me if you want to see pics and more detail. I need to start a build thread of my own one day.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back