The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

98' Eclipse GSX Automatic

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitsubishiown

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 11, 2012
Davison, Michigan
Hello, I am fairly new to these forums all though I have read a lot of information over time through this forum. I will start with how I ended up getting this car. Before this I owned a 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Gt. and I put tons of time and money into the car. Last week as I was driving home a kid pulled out in front of me when I was going 50mph and I hit him going around 45-50mph. This obviously totaled my eclipse but luckily I was okay. The only problem is that I didn't have collision so I get nothing for my car. I ended up finding this car for $4,400 about an hour away from my house so I went and bought it with money my dad lent me until I can pay him back.

The car is a 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX Automatic with 83,000 miles and it is red in color. The paint is very good on this car but it does have some different spots that are fading and that need touched up along with a lot of little chips but nothing major. I drove the car home yesterday and on my way back I noticed when at stop lights it felt like it was going to die. Went to autozone got the alternator and battery tested both failed. So I got a new battery and had both tested again and now they both passed. So hopefully they will be okay going to test them in about 2-3 days from now.

Anyways now that all the stupid talk is over with my plans for this car are to get around 300-400whp out of this thing as well as keep it a daily driver. I heavily modded my other eclipses suspension and it cornered amazing but I hated it as a dd because it was such a rough ride and bumpy as hell. So I am going to keep this one stock as much as possible for suspension wise. I think it is already lowered on some form of struts/shocks and springs. Took some pictures of the car before I change the wheels on it tomorrow at work.

Sorry my picture taking skills suck! This is after I waxed and cleaned it:)

Eclipse4.jpg

The wheels are pretty nice I like them but I work at discount tire so I bought brand new tires today along with having some nice wheels that I am putting on it tomorrow. I will get more pics of how it looks with these wheels tomorrow morning before I change them. Yes, it is missing a piece of the sideskirt I need to order it.

Eclipse2.jpg

Eclipse3.jpg

Good looking car man, I got almost the exact same car but it's a 97 w 183k and only paid a G for it LOL, I'm debating if I wanna make it stick or not I have a friend who is letting me drive his 375 awhp gsx that is auto to see if I like it or not. I'll be starting a build thread myself when I got a lotta parts from my old EVO that I'm throwing on it ( ie wheels, cams, intercooler+piping and a invidia ram horn header) should be a good build. Can't wait to see what your doing with yours ......... Subscribed

looks good! is that the stock red?

I think it is the stock red but I am not sure! There is absolutely no rust on this thing at all which is very surprising. Found out today the other wheels the guy gave me are not going to work, I tried balancing them at work and they are screwed up for whatever reason so I am going to try and find some wheels I like tonight and buy some that will work with the evo 8 brembos I have for my car:) Thanks everyone!

Yeah moonlight I guess I could get a new rear sway bar and stuff. My last car had a damn nice suspension setup with almost every bushing in the car being polyeurethane and that made it super stiff!

95White GSX let me know how you like it because that is what I am going for.

I know I need to research but I need to order some wheels tomorrow probably that I like that will clear evo 8 brembos does anyone have a link to where I can get the information? I am about to search it real quick so I am sure I will find it. What color wheels you guys think would look good? Black with a chrome lip maybe? 8-10 spoke?

hey man, drove the car today it was awesome, and the only upgrades he has for trans are a shift kit an stall converter it was nasty ###### one of the best automatic cars ive driven in a while, as far as the wheels going to clear brembo anything that will fit an evo will fit those breaks, look at wheeldude.com they have some good wheels, or you can jump on evolutionm.net in the forsale section you'll find some good deal, i also got my GSX today its not too bad needs a little work but worth every penny i think, ill start my build thread tomorrow

Awesome man thank you for responding so fast about your experience!! Just curious everyone I am not sure if I have abs on my GSX but if I do what happens when I install the JDM Knuckle? Do I need to get a specific one because I have abs?

Well I figured out the above question:)

More pictures sorry I am a picture whore I guess.

RedEcl.jpg

My Dad looking at the car.

RedEcl2.jpg

Some sort of boost control a previous owner put on I suppose says HBC I think :/

Boost.jpg

Not sure why someone bypassed a fuse and wired this right into the fuse box it says on the cover it should be for the high beams and a 10a fuse should be there but for some reason there is a 25a fuse so the previous owner did all that. Not sure if this affects anything.

RedEcl5.jpg

RedEcl1.jpg

RecEclipse.jpg

I hope you guys like it! I am currently working on fixing my shitty idle problem and other electrical issues. I will keep it updated!

the HBC is a manual boost controller made by Hallman, it's one of the best MBC you can get really.

Word, I was thinking about going all polyurathane, we'll see. But the body looks clean on that - really nice! I'll keep tabs on this thread, curious to see the "end product."

Thanks man I hope everything goes smoothly and according to plans!

Ugh! So far my experience with this car has been a pain. Replaced alternator and battery so far about to check out my ISC tomorrow because the car is driving like crap and idles horribly. I really need a part number on the ISC but no one seems to have it.

And awesome Zcoh! I didn't know it was a really good one :) Think I will leave it on even though I don't need it yet, seeing as how I have the stock turbo on.

I think when I replace the ISC (if I ever get a part number) I might replace my throttle body and maybe some gaskets any advice on what things to change? Also what throttle body should I go with. I am going to be shooting for around 400whp with this car:)

Last thing I am going to be ordering tomorrow is a fuel pump I am thinking a Walbro 255 and that should easily handle 400whp.

Alright so I tested my ISC also known as the IAC and all of them came back at 30 and then one connection at 29 so I figured it was fine. But my ground wire on the other hand not sure about it.

This is the ground wire (I think) that runs to the negative terminal on the battery. Is it normal to have random wires hanging out like that? This might be why it's screwing up not sure.

Engine.jpg

This part I have no idea so I am just looking to find out what the hell this part is that is mounted on the strut tower bar. The one that has a big bracket and holds two round things I am pretty sure this is not stock.

Engine4.jpg

Last edited:
We tightened up the bolt to the firewall for the ground and now it runs fine most of the time except for sometimes when the headlights are turned on. I honestly have no idea what could be wrong I am having it looked at tomorrow and I am having a big 3 upgrade made for this car. My alternator belt squeals on start up sometimes not sure what the torque should be at for that. Anyone know?

Well any 1G TB will be an upgrade with the exception of the '90, which had a small diameter as well. I guess if anything you could always change it but for 400whp I think (correct me if I'm wrong) you'll be fine in all honesty especially if it's a DD.

Also with the 255 you should consider rewiring it too to ensure adequate voltages as well. Just some side info for you. :D

Well any 1G TB will be an upgrade with the exception of the '90, which had a small diameter as well. I guess if anything you could always change it but for 400whp I think (correct me if I'm wrong) you'll be fine in all honesty especially if it's a DD.

Also with the 255 you should consider rewiring it too to ensure adequate voltages as well. Just some side info for you. :D

What do you meany by rewiring it? Doing a big 3 upgrade? I plan to do one soon!

Please Read Below!

Okay guys. My bad idle problem along with the horrible throttle response is on its way to getting fixed now that I figured out what is causing it. This problem is directly related to the AFR gauge and the Boost Pressure gauge. I undid the black wire from the boost pressure gauge that was connected to a black wire coming from the AFR gauge and that is when my car idled like shit and died (with or without headlights on). I just went and hooked up these two black wires to eachother again and now it only idles bad when the headlights are on. The previous owner has a wire from the boost pressure gauge tapped right into the high beam fuse in the under the hood fuse box. He also replaced the 10a fuse that should be there with a 25a fuse (probably kept getting blown). Not sure what to do! Please help!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back