The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Street Build 97 Talon TSI FP Green: Road to 500hp

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rayski

Proven Member
Dec 14, 2013
Chicago, Illinois
Hey guys, just traded my automatic 97 Eclipse GSX for a manual 97 Talon TSI AWD with 107k miles. I'm planning on doing an FP Green build, shooting for 500hp.

Link to 97 Eclipse GSX build
http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/97-eclipse-gsx-300whp-build.474530/#post-153427629

Mods on when I got her
-EvoIII 16g (Not sure if eBay)
-J Pipe
-Autometer oil pressure gauge
-Autometer fuel pressure gauge
-Autometer boost gauge
-1G BOV
-HID kit

Pics from the day I got her
10576951_10204531918968791_6516351543415366547_n.jpg

10593134_10204532482982891_4985853620185345194_n.jpg
10556520_10204532482702884_5104024662046346290_n.jpg

Build Plan (In order)
-Injen Intake Pipe[Installed]
-SRS 3" Catback[Installed]
-Megan 3" Downpipe[Installed]

-Walbro 255 [Installed]
-STM Fuel pump rewire
-Aeromotive AFPR kit [Installed]

-eBay 2.5" o2 sensor housing [Installed]

-Engine Rebuild/6 bolt shortblock swap/1g rods 2g pistons [Installed]

-AEM Wideband [Installed]
-EEPROM ECU [Installed]
-Dsmlink v3 [Installed]

-AEM Oil Pressure Gauge
-Hallman Pro MBC
-VRSF FMIC
-1250cc Injectors [Installed]
-E85 SD Tune

-Evo 8 Wheels

-Ported EvoIII Intake Manifold
-1G Throttle Body
-Retune

-Competition Stage 4 Clutch
-Fidanza Flywheel
-RRE Shifter Bushings
-RRE SS Clutch Line

-HKS type-0 turbo timer
-FP Exhaust manifold
-FP 4" Intake pipe
-K&N FIPK
-Tial Q 50mm BOV
-Hx35
-Punishment racing external o2 open dump
-Retune

ETC.
-Sparco Hood Pins
-Kicker 10" subwoofer
-DC Strut tower bars
-Megan EZ coils
-Carbon Fiber vinyl wrap hood
-AEM water temp gauge
-Wastegate bumper dump
-Non-cruise throttle cable
-Emmisions delete
-Oil catch can
-DC strut tower bars
-Battery trunk relocation
-GSC Stage 1 cams
-AEM fuel rail
-MAP fuel feed line
-Twisty side skirts

Last edited:
Sounds good! I was looking at the Sparco Hood pins too, I have a carbon fiber hood and I dont want it to fly into the windshield on the interstate. The only thing I can think of is that an ACT 2600 may not quite be enough clutch. I know of a guy with 320hp that was getting slippage. I'm an automatic guy though so I dont know a ton about it. Also you're going to want a bigger intake, either make one or get the FP cast one. Since you're going to be plugging the recirculate hole on the stock intake anyways i'd probably just get a piece of pipe or the FP unit, which fits nicely with their turbos.

I would say bigger injectors and wally 450. I'm guessing you are going to be running e85? Would also look into the pr 3" down pipe. That injen intake will be too small as well, look into the fp intake.

I'll say at least 1450 injectors and 350lph pump.
I have a green with 850's and wally 255lph and they are small for e85, and if you want 500hp you should use it.
I'm looking for 450hp with our euro 98 gas on a fully built engine with 9.1:1 or 9.3:1 RC, still thinking the way
Good luck, that talón seems very clean

Sounds good! I was looking at the Sparco Hood pins too, I have a carbon fiber hood and I dont want it to fly into the windshield on the interstate. The only thing I can think of is that an ACT 2600 may not quite be enough clutch. I know of a guy with 320hp that was getting slippage. I'm an automatic guy though so I dont know a ton about it. Also you're going to want a bigger intake, either make one or get the FP cast one. Since you're going to be plugging the recirculate hole on the stock intake anyways i'd probably just get a piece of pipe or the FP unit, which fits nicely with their turbos.
I'm new to the manual scene haha, hopefully someone will chime in with a clutch recommendation for this build. What size fp intake do you think I should get?

I would say bigger injectors and wally 450. I'm guessing you are going to be running e85? Would also look into the pr 3" down pipe. That injen intake will be too small as well, look into the fp intake.
I'm still debating whether I want to run e85, or run a dual map pump/race tune and just put race gas in when I track it.

I'll say at least 1450 injectors and 350lph pump.
I have a green with 850's and wally 255lph and they are small for e85, and if you want 500hp you should use it.
I'm looking for 450hp with our euro 98 gas on a fully built engine with 9.1:1 or 9.3:1 RC, still thinking the way
Good luck, that talón seems very clean
Sounds good, might as well get bigger injectors for minimal increase in price. And thanks! There's only a tiny spot of rust on the strut tower and rear wheel well.

I also just found out that a half shaft bolt is broken off inside, so I'll need to extract and replace it before I do anything else. Also need to replace the coolant hoses and clamps because it's dripping some coolant and they are dry rotted. I'll upload some engine bay and interior pics today.

I'm making 362awhp on my 2600 without issue. For your power level I'd go 2900. Or like previously stated contact Tim to explore the options you have with South Bend.

I'm making 362awhp on my 2600 without issue. For your power level I'd go 2900. Or like previously stated contact Tim to explore the options you have with South Bend.
I got an ACT street disk flywheel with the car, should I even install it or just sell it and resurface the stock one when I put the 2900 in?
EDIT: According to ACT the 2600 is perfect for 11 sec dsms

Never ran my car and I'm not one to bench race but I feel my car would fall into that category and I've never had an issue with it holding power. However I will say engagement can be a bi*** driving around town. Once you're used to it it's manageable just don't get stuck in stop and go traffic on a incline....(ask me how I know LOL)

Got the 3" catless downpipe and SRS catback installed! Only problem is that now with the 3" downpipe my EvoIII is creeping to 20psi at 5k rpm and I'm on stock fuel, so just going to stay under 5k for now. Fuel pump and afpr have now been prioritized. Just ordered the afpr. There were 3 o2 bungs welded on the exhaust when I bought it right on the 90 degree bend on the downpipe, so plugging those should help the boost creep a little.
20140805_175206.jpg

20140805_175212.jpg

20140805_175224.jpg

20140805_200600.jpg

Let me know how you like that fp green. I have one sitting here that I eventually want to use. But I am really enjoying the super quick spool the evo 16g has.

By the way, nice pick up! I was also looking at this car. Lol!

Let me know how you like that fp green. I have one sitting here that I eventually want to use. But I am really enjoying the super quick spool the evo 16g has.

By the way, nice pick up! I was also looking at this car. Lol!

It's going to be a while before I get the FP Green haha! I'm building around the evoIII that's on there right now until I've got enough money together for the whole setup. And thanks, I definitely scored on this one

Got the fuel pump and AFPR installed! Only took a whole day with those rusted bolts, a can of pb blaster, and a huge breaker bar. It rigged with zip ties for a mount for the time being, then will be relocated to where the cruise control box is on the firewall when I convert to a non-cruise throttle cable.

First mock-up
20140814_114023.jpg

The AFPR kit I got was meant for a 1g, so I had to go and buy a 1g fuel rail from a friend. (1g rail pictured)
20140814_104044.jpg

2g fuel rail with too small of a flange
20140814_104055.jpg

How it sits now minus the ziptie ends, going to swap the ugly clear zip ties for black ones when I get a chance
20140814_160506.jpg

Fuel pump install so much rust
20140814_181015.jpg

Old fuel pump
20140814_181709.jpg

Walbro 255HP kit
20140814_183138.jpg

Next step is to buy a Punishment Racing recirc o2 housing because the 3" downpipe does not taper down to a 2.5" to fit the stock o2 housing. Lots of boost creep from that huge leak so I can't go WOT yet. I plugged the 3 open o2 bungs on the downpipe and that helped boost creep a bit.
IF ANYONE HAS A PUNISHMENT RECIRC O2 HOUSING FOR SALE PLEASE PM ME

I have a southbend ss/tz kit and it holds my car fine(421/368). I have no doubt in my mind it will hold 500. I also just made the 421 on deatschwerks 1200's @ 66% duty cycle(pump gas), which should leave good room for e85.

How much was your FPR, or did you already have it? I'm just curious, as my FuelLab came with the AN line kit when I got it and I see that yours didnt.
I bought mine from a guy on a DSM facebook page for $145, couldn't beat that. Mine does have AN fittings, it's just rubber hose instead of SS

Good looking car. Sorry to hear about the crank going out for a walk
Thanks man, and it's all good it'll come back way better :p Was planning on rebuilding it eventually anyways. I'll go ahead and use this comment for the rebuild plan;
-6 bolt shortblock swap
-ARP headstuds
-ARP hardware
-BSE kit
-ACL trimetal bearings
-Oem headgasket
-Prothane motor mount inserts
-.020 over 1g rods 2g pistons
-EGR blockoff plate
-Hot tank
-.020 cylinder bore
-Oem oil pump
-Oem water pump
-NPR piston rings
-Gates timing belt kit
-Emissions delete

I also revised the original build plan

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back