The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

97 Gsx Manual Transfer case

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay 97 GSX

Proven Member
Jul 11, 2017
Joliet, Illinois
Good afternoon guys and gals.

I just purchased my second DSM, my first was a 95 eclipse gst auto, and i have my first GSX manual.

I paid a very nice price for the GSX about 1500$. strut tower rust ect. The motor runs very healthy, no Smoke and turbo spools and the trans shifts perfect 1-5th gear, no grinds or pop outs.

The problem I'm having I believe is the transfer case. When i purchased it i noticed a large spot on the ground under it and it was directly under the T-Case. I smelt it and it smelled just like Gear Oil, that nasty weird oil smell.

While the car is Moving with the gas pedal engaged, it makes a horrible grinding noise coming from the Bottom of the car, i believe from the t-case. I was able to make it home and park it. I believe its grinding because it has no Gear oil in it.

When you let off the gas the grinding goes quiet, or even when u put it in neutral the grinding goes real quiet but its still there.

I just hope its the t-case and not the center Diff. Has anyone ever had this problem with the t-case?

Since it drove home on a 20 minute cruise 40mph and under, am i safe to try to add fluid and see if it still grinds or just Remove the tcase. I debated removing the tcase but im unsure what im supposed to check for on a working tcase.

I assume youre not driving it. Btw why would you assume center diff? Noise could be in any trans component. Center diff isnt the only thing in there.

I assume youre not driving it. Btw why would you assume center diff? Noise could be in any trans component. Center diff isnt the only thing in there.

Thats just something i saw online as a possibility. Trying to reach out and ask if these symptoms sound like a bad xfer case or not. Thanks for your reply.

I'm not sure if this applies to 2g dsms but okn 1g there were recalls on the transfer case due to the seal leaking. Maybe something to look into. Put some redline heavy shockproof oil on that bish and see if it feels better.
would a recall still be active 20 years later?

No. I already went through this. The recall was on the yoke which allowed oil to seep through the brass plug. If your case is already making grinding noise it's done. Make sure you get the proper case for a manual transmission, and while your at it find the recall kit (modified yoke and u joint) from somewhere like jnz stm or extreme psi so your yoke doesn't let all the oil out again.

I'm not sure if this applies to 2g dsms but okn 1g there were recalls on the transfer case due to the seal leaking. Maybe something to look into. Put some redline heavy shockproof oil on that bish and see if it feels better.
The recall no longer applies. Doesn't mean it isn't a problem but the free fix is long gone.

I just purchased my second DSM, my first was a 95 eclipse gst auto, and i have my first GSX manual.

I paid a very nice price for the GSX about 1500$. strut tower rust ect. The motor runs very healthy, no Smoke and turbo spools and the trans shifts perfect 1-5th gear, no grinds or pop outs.

The problem I'm having I believe is the transfer case. When i purchased it i noticed a large spot on the ground under it and it was directly under the T-Case. I smelt it and it smelled just like Gear Oil, that nasty weird oil smell.

While the car is Moving with the gas pedal engaged, it makes a horrible grinding noise coming from the Bottom of the car, i believe from the t-case. I was able to make it home and park it. I believe its grinding because it has no Gear oil in it.

When you let off the gas the grinding goes quiet, or even when u put it in neutral the grinding goes real quiet but its still there.

I just hope its the t-case and not the center Diff. Has anyone ever had this problem with the t-case?

Since it drove home on a 20 minute cruise 40mph and under, am i safe to try to add fluid and see if it still grinds or just Remove the tcase. I debated removing the tcase but im unsure what im supposed to check for on a working tcase.
At least fill it up. Check trans fluid also.

At least fill it up. Check trans fluid also.

yea im definitely going to get some shockproof and fill it and see. My first GSX i just plan to do total maintenance and future im just want a daily GSX with 250-300 hp, i enjoy driving around and boosting here and there . im not a racer by any means. Just love 2g's.

everyone was using that redline shockproof stuff, Also another update,

TRANS was complete trash after pulling, Trans being rebuilt will be done this friday

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back