The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

97 GST Curbfighter

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I've owned this car for about a year now. Ever since I was a kid, I always thought the 2G Eclipse was cool as hell and it was a sort of dream car for me. Since I was born my parents had kept a little bit of money in a savings account for when I turned 18, to use for college, a car, or whatever was needed. Since I had decided to join the army, I used the money to find me a car. I decided to look for a 2G Eclipse on a whim one day and, to my delight, found them to be within my price range. Nice. Found my '97 GST for $2500. In hindsight I probably paid too much (But it was so pretty :coy:). The exterior looked great (minus the F'd up front bumper cover), interior was kinda dirty, passenger headrest was missing (how? why?), but not many cracks in the plastic. The owner gave me a bunch of receipts of work he recently had done. Can't remember exactly, but I think he had the trans rebuilt, new tires, and some maintenance stuff (definitely not an oil change).
CumnYib.jpg

jkNkgC2.jpg

Many curbs were vanquished by the previous owner.
Fxxx2qf.jpg

For two glorious weeks I was the proud owner of a running 2G Eclipse. I'm not sure exactly what's wrong with it yet as I don't have the tools or space to tear it down myself or the money to pay someone else to, but I think I may have spun a rod bearing. As much as I'd like to blame the previous owner's neglect, I feel like my ignorance as a new car owner played a role as well (I've learned a lot since finding this site). Hopefully the damage isn't too bad. I plan on using my enlistment bonus to get it running again and hopefully other things. In the meantime I've been doing small, cheap improvements to keep busy. First I replaced that headrest (Seriously, where did it go?).

I sanded and repainted my windshield wiper arms. I didn't take any before pics, but they were faded grey and slightly rusted

5dOo0Tq.jpg

xoQE9bv.jpg

Then I fixed my driver's side lock thanks to a great guide on tuners. I'm not sure if the tumblers in the lock were somehow severely messed up (they didn't look corroded), or the if the lock is just for a different key, but after some grinding it works like a charm.

KBEaOIr.jpg

Then finally I decided to redo the headliner that was missing from my sunroof visor.
I'm not sure if the brown on the visor was just old adhesive or maybe tobacco tar.
Ko3CA4d.jpg

I was pretty afraid of breaking off this little handle and couldn't find anything about removing it online. Not sure if it's just so obvious no one thought to say it or what, but its just two spring tab things you push in on each side and pull it up.
trI6tkJ.jpg

Now of course the rest of the headliner looks gross, gonna have to replace that next.

4kjEgY9.jpg

That's about all I've done so far, other than cleaning. I just figured I would do an introduction post + all the small things I've done before I left for Basic just to get the thread started. Hopefully for the next post I'll have found and repaired whatever is wrong with the engine. I've also noticed quite a few threaded holes with no bolts in them in the engine bay. That's probably not good.

Alright, so I got bored and ordered new hatch lift support arms. Installed them today, was quick and easy. Very last second post, I ship out tomorrow LOL. I also ordered a new rubber brake pedal pad, but it wont be here for another week.

v5uFbzw.jpg

dAOjWYJ.jpg

The old supports had a little bit of rust, but the bolts that I had to reuse were still nice.

ZgcuFXV.jpg

Forgot this picture in the first post, but does anybody know what this magnetized thing is? Is it stock? I haven't noticed it in any pics of other cars, but its kinda small. The only thing that comes to mind is it's some kind of antenna for the aftermarket radio or like a roadside assistance service.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back