The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G 97 GST Motor Rebuild

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

that2G98

Proven Member
Jan 10, 2017
De Soto, Missouri
Hey guys im in the process of ordering pistons and rods for my build. im on a 16G turbo and wanna be able to safely hold 600hp, anyone got some links to a good set of rod and pistons?

I had my dad order items for me from eBay. Let me get ahold of him and I'll get back to you. Sounds like we're running close to the same setup, just I stopped short at about 400hp until I can get a cable & software to reprogram for larger injectors.

He just replied, but I'm having him double check the rods. He's claiming we reused the stock ones, but the motor was blown and everything was scrapped except for the block, so he's looking for the actual purchase on eBay. As for the pistons, they're the same size as the stock ones, we didn't have to bore the block, but they're taller and will ride flush with the top of the block. Sorry for not having actual specs or brand names for you to look for.

Last edited:
You need a set of $1000 rods to make power like that reliably, you can cheap out but you will get what you pay for. Pauter, Oliver, Carillo, etc.

I had my dad order items for me from eBay. Let me get ahold of him and I'll get back to you. Sounds like we're running close to the same setup, just I stopped short at about 400hp until I can get a cable & software to reprogram for larger injectors.

He just replied, but I'm having him double check the rods. He's claiming we reused the stock ones, but the motor was blown and everything was scrapped except for the block, so he's looking for the actual purchase on eBay. As for the pistons, they're the same size as the stock ones, we didn't have to bore the block, but they're taller and will ride flush with the top of the block. Sorry for not having actual specs or brand names for you to look for.

Your good man, yeah i wanna be able to safely hold 400hp then once i buy a truck hold 600hp

Really? I have talked to the Eagle rep in person who said they were designed for 350hp, in any event I would never ever trust them past 400hp, if they were good for 1000hp then there would be no Pauter, Oliver, Carillo, etc as no one would ever pay that much for something that they could get for $300.

Really? I have talked to the Eagle rep in person who said they were designed for 350hp, in any event I would never ever trust them past 400hp, if they were good for 1000hp then there would be no Pauter, Oliver, Carillo, etc as no one would ever pay that much for something that they could get for $300.

http://www.eaglerod.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=33&Itemid=40

right there they say a 1000hp but im unsure been trying to find builds with them but havent had much time lately

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Hey guys im in the process of ordering pistons and rods for my build. im on a 16G turbo and wanna be able to safely hold 600hp, anyone got some links to a good set of rod and pistons?
You cant order pistons until the motor is apart unless you already know the bore size. You're getting ahead of yourself.

Besides, bitches don't wanna hear about your JE pistons. They are only interested in Manley rods. :sneaky:

UPDATE

Just finally getting the time to post an update for anyone interested,
the car did not need a rebuild as was thought. took it to a guy whos been messing with DSM's for 6 years and hes helped me out immensely lately as we've just started getting into it, we replaced the whole timing side cause water pump was leaking, we've fixed alot of minor shit that was wrong with it and we have her running the smoothest shes ever been. Now we are just waiting to get a SouthBend stage 3 clutch and FIdanza Flywheel cause my clutch was toast and couldn't take 17psi on 16G, only held 5. after that ill be looking into switching to E85 and FP Black

Glad you're looking at a different turbo. I was gonna say ... you're never gonna make 600hp with a 16G. Even though things are running good for you now, you're still going to make the switch to some beefier pistons and rods if you really are truly trying to attain 600hp. That's a lot for a stock bottom end.

Glad you're looking at a different turbo. I was gonna say ... you're never gonna make 600hp with a 16G. Even though things are running good for you now, you're still going to make the switch to some beefier pistons and rods if you really are truly trying to attain 600hp. That's a lot for a stock bottom end.

Yeah I knew I'd need a bigger turbo for close to 600. I'm looking at FP red or black and just deciding which one I want. And bottom end isn't stock, it's got roughly 3K on rebuild weisco pistons and I forget the rods. I'm pretty much just gonna ride this to stock manifold as far as I can and then find a Awd 1G and build that up

UPDATE

Just finally getting the time to post an update for anyone interested,
the car did not need a rebuild as was thought. took it to a guy whos been messing with DSM's for 6 years and hes helped me out immensely lately as we've just started getting into it, we replaced the whole timing side cause water pump was leaking, we've fixed alot of minor sh** that was wrong with it and we have her running the smoothest shes ever been. Now we are just waiting to get a SouthBend stage 3 clutch and FIdanza Flywheel cause my clutch was toast and couldn't take 17psi on 16G, only held 5. after that ill be looking into switching to E85 and FP Black

What clutch disc did you go with? They recommend staying away from Fidanza flywheels...

What clutch disc did you go with? They recommend staying away from Fidanza flywheels...
I don't agree with the part about the fiction surface warping at high temps. Ive gotten mine plenty hot with a FX400 6 puck and it never warped.

Attachments

• f3441536_cr.jpg
    f3441536_cr.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 63
  • f3531776_cr.jpg
    f3531776_cr.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 69
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back