The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G 97 Eclipse gst running rich

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tristanl21

Probationary Member
Dec 5, 2017
MAHNOMEN, Minnesota
it started acting up one day it was a little wet out but nothing to keep the roads wet and i was driving down the road when my car loss power and would want to cut out if i stepped on the gas to try to keep up to speed. i pulled over waited while it was running and it stopped acting up... it did this 3 times within that ride i noticed that when i was harder on the gas it was wanting to act up..but now its constantly running rich...any help or sugestions i should try to replace/look at...ive replaced plugs,plugwires,o2 sensor front, and the ecu. ive checked injectors they seem to have a nice spray to them all. also i did a fuel pressure regulator test aka pulling off vacuum line and only got a vacuum jump of 2 psi....i have stock injectors btw and oversized cams that are also have been advanced by previous owner which didn't bother the car all summer till that one day. He said there was some type of wireing issue with the car.. I cant drive it now cause the car is so sluggish/flodded that it just dies if im not giving it 8gs to move at 15 mph so bringing it in to have it scanned it out of the question any help or a path i could take would mean alot thanks im also new to the 2g life so im not to familiar with the car.

Last edited:
Year make and model of the car?

Check engine lights?

Modifications to vehicle?

Just from your very general description I would check mechanical timing by removing the belts, removing the lower timing cover, and inspecting the motor when it is at top dead center to make sure all of the timing points line up correctly

ITs a 1997 Mitsubishi eclipse GST. and no but i think the previous owner took the led light out from the dash...could see if i have spare to put in it. and modifications includes mitsubishi/dsm 4g63 eclipse stage 3 - 280 cams adjustable cam gears also has a maf traslator version 2.02 wired in for the maf sensor...that basically the main mods rest are baisically cosmetic stuff...i do know some stuff has been gutted on the car just by the way i got it in and was told they had it set up to drag with a fp red turobcharger that they put back to stock with a first gen eclipse turbo.. i am how ever i was running 25bost on the setup i have now.

I am also gonna add i do have a gauge setup in my car to show me the air/fuel mixture and when i turn the key to the on position it has a normal mixture and wait about 5 10 seconds then itll jump to the lean then back to norm and then slowy increase.1 everysecond all by itself without me even starting it.
Hope this helps a little better

Your part that says you let it sit and it stopped makes me think plug wires or coils as another stated. I have a 1g but I us3d to own a mustang that when it rained would misfire till the block got hot and evaporated the water. It also did this if I hit a large puddle tonight open the hood look for sparks.
Dsm panda

Ok guys so i found a little vaccum hose in the back of the intake just under my throttle body i hooked that up and the surging stopped but it still flooding out my engine and ive been told to test the coils and such is to pull the plug wires out and see if that changes anything while the engine is running and well i pull the middle two out and it does nothing infact i can start and run the car without them..but today i was doing some stuff with my car to see if anything got unplugged sensor wise and i was letting the carrun...and when its a cold start itll run just fine till car is warmed up then itll flood the cynlinders out...but i did notice today that while running bad it would try and would randomly run fine for a split second or 2 if i was lucky but then just go back to the flooding out/being rich

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back