The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

'96 TSi w/'95 Engine, which hydraulic tensioner?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stiggity99

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 31, 2011
York Haven, Pennsylvania
Greetings:
I own a 96 Talon TSi, and DSMLink, and lots of goodies. Im new to the _long-block_ modifications/maintenance world. Last year, i had a backyard mechanic do a new head, arp's, gates belts, etc.. and he blew it up, so i had to buy a good running engine, whcih came out of a 1995 Talon TSI. So heres my question(s), i compared the (Late 1995) tensioner that was on my '96 blown block, and it looks 100% different than the tensioner thats on my '95 repldced engine. Yesterday (Wenesday) I ordered all the parts i need for a t-belt, head studs maintenance job. And when i ordered, the website asked if it was an early 95 engine or late 95, and the dude on the phone said "Just get late 1995" Well, the tensioner im getting, doesnt resemble the tensioner on my engine i have now. Can i still use the late 95+ tensioner, if i trim my lower timing cover, or do i absolutely need to get the early 95 tensioner? All this said, im assuming the idler pulley, tensioner pulley, and balance shaft pulley will work. Any idea'a? thanks in advance.

--Steve

No. If it is an Early 95' Tensioner you need an early 95' Tensioner. Do not try to skimp on this - you're going to waste money and time if so. Always buy the appropriate year specific parts. I recently did a timing job on my early 95' block and made sure to verify the Tensioner style before ordering. If I recall correctly, the bolt holes are offset with the Early 95' being wider spaced by a small degree.

Either way - match it.

thanks alot. As you can see, im new to this forum. I am more active on the ECMTUNING forum, but things look great here, also.

I usually order my parts from MAPerformance, and when i spoke with the gentlemen on the phone, he recommended getting the late '95 parts, and i believe he may have even mentioned "there all the same, just different revisions, etc.." but dont quote me on that.

Another quick question.. are the idler pulley, tensioner pulley, and balance shaft pulley i ordered, going to be compatible. Or should i just return all the timing components, and re-order.. On my receipt, it says the pulleys are the same from 95 to 99.

Can't wait to explore this site, and it's resources..

-Steve

Anyone reading this..
I did alot of googling, and i believe i have a 1G 7bolt. My tensioner doesnt have a part # on it, instead of says 94-19-09 (possibly not in that order) but from reading that, im gathering it was made Sep 19th of 1994. Is this the "early 95" setup? If so, does it still have the higher compression pistons, and will 95-99 pulley's work on it. I installed my new balance-shaft belt, and pulley, and it worked great. The old idler pulley looks identical, but the tensioner pulley is the identical same dimensions, width, heigth, but the inner workings look spaced different. Any idea's??

Thanks In Advance,
--Steve

You really can't have a 1g 7 bolt. They won't bolt into a 2g. If you get the wrong tensioner it won't even bolt up. The bolt holes are in different locations. I have no idea why mitsu did this. The tensioner part numbers are the same through aug of 95. Get the tensioner that matches your engine.

You really can't have a 1g 7 bolt. They won't bolt into a 2g. If you get the wrong tensioner it won't even bolt up. The bolt holes are in different locations. I have no idea why mitsu did this. The tensioner part numbers are the same through aug of 95. Get the tensioner that matches your engine.

A 1G 7-bolt engine in a 2G is just as possible as a 1G 6-bolt in a 2G.

The second part I agree with. The "early" 1995 tensioner part number (MD185539) was replaced with the "later" 1995, which is MD308587. The year of the vehicle is irrelevant if the engine has been swapped. Absolutely match the tensioner to the engine.

The later 2Gs, 1996+ use MD308086 for the tensioner. The tensioner pulley is the same in turbo models throughout the 2G production run.

If by chance you have a 1G 7-bolt, the tensioner you're after is MD308586 and a different pulley.

Jeez I need some sleep. He is correct. It's a 2g motor you can't bolt into a 1g. If you had a 1g 7 bolt it wouldn't have the higher compression. The tensioner part number change is in January 1994. You should have a 2g motor with the associated 1995 tensioner.

I took my tensioner pulley's (new/old) and my old tensioner into the dealership today, and i have the early 1995 setup. Got the correct hydraulic tensioner, and the parts guy said the pulley's are correct (new). Now if the fairly priced, conveniently located, but , SLOW, machine-shop would finish my head, i might have a car to drive this summer.. ehehehhe

thanks for the replies... :)

--Steve

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back