The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G 96 Talon Starting and Idling Problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSM H8ER

Probationary Member
Dec 8, 2018
Sioux Falls, South_Dakota
Hey guys, fairly new to the DSM game and am having some trouble. If it does start it has an idle surge when it wants to idle on its own. Otherwise I have to keep it alive. Here is some background and current info on the vehicle.

96 Eagle Talon Tsi
7 bolt block
7 bolt head
Cam sensor behind the cam gear.
Fresh plugs
And a 95 eprom ecu WITHOUT link

I am wondering if I'm having issues with the firing order as I've found a handful of different combinations. But this is the weird part, this motor was taken out of my buddies car and has been taken apart and gaskets replaced and EGR delete ONLY. That's all I've done to it. And I've tested the ISC, TPS, and MAF and all seems good. The only CEL codes I get are for EVAP since I've eliminated emissions and EGR. Every once in a while I get an O2 sensor code but most of the time I don't so I'm assuming thats from the car only being,on a header right now with no downpipe.

Things I've tried:
1. Playing with different firing orders
2. Adjusting the throttle cable housing on intake manifold
3. Replaced ISC and TPS just to be sure
4. Reduced fuel line size since my car was once built and is going to a daily so I thought maybe I was getting too much fuel because in the early stages it held idle at 4500 rpms.
5. Checked for any boost/vacuum leaks and can't find anything.

I have not touched the base idle screw of the BISS screw from when it ran before so that shouldn't be out if wack. If someone has information on what my problem could be it would be greatly appreciated. It starts about every 4th or 5th attempt and as I said, will hold an idle at like 400 rpm and will lope to 1000 and back. Or just doesnt hold at all. And when it does hold, the rpms increase VERY SLOWLY when I push the gas pedal. Like maybe increses 1000rpms in 5 seconds.

Thanks in advance

I have stock 7 bolt exhaust manifold with NO downpipe. O2 sensor is on the manifold

but is factory spot of 02 port in diffrent spot as port on aftermarket exsauste

I'm not sure. I have 3 inch exhaust hanging,but no second o2 sensor at all. All I have is the first 02 sensor on the stock manifold.

so first o2 sensor is for air and gas regerlation it tells your egr how much air and fule that goes in to the cyclenders.. seconde 02 port is nothing relly mine dosent work either

Well I've deleted my egr valve with a block off plate along with all other emissions

Yes .Stock 7 bolt 4g63. Stock 16g small turbo. Stock everything. With 95 eprom ecu. No dsmlink

well to me it sounds like an air gas ratio is not right..

only thing i can say is my car i put aftermarket manifold and down pipe deleted the cat and ran it straight back to muffler and my headers o2 port was too high so it was rough idle problem. i welded holes shut and put o2 sensor back in the factory oem spot and the problem went away. i spent over 500 on all new sensor for my engine and it was the header change to begin with.

Last edited by a moderator:
So what can I do to fix that without putting egr back in? The egr had holes in it anyways when motor was pulled.

you still need emissions for to pass inspection dude u might as well put egr back on..other then that i would have to physicaly see your engine so i could help to fix it..try what i said if not mabey someone else can help u bro

Its not being inspected for anything. I'm just putting stock motor in to make it a daily....

The f*** I do. I don't know where you live where that's a thing. But nothing needs inspecting here in SD.

Haha I wasn't cursing directly at you. And ill try that but ill have to find a new egr valve since mine has holes in it

new york suck wish i was out there in SD .. no emissions that dope i can make my car a beast..ya man i took it the wrong way sorry dude..let me know if i helped after u do that egr..have a good one

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back