The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

96 gst won't crank

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eclipse gst96

Probationary Member
Jul 12, 2014
T-Town, Ohio
What's up guys I'm new here I am in need of your help. I have a 97 gst I just replaced the head gasket, water pump, and all timing componets, New belts etc. I went to go crank her over and she won't turn over. Everything's hooked up, timing marks meet...engine cranks freely by hand. But she just won't turn over..I don't understand. When I got the car the guy claimed the starter was going bad but it ended up being loose battery connections. But now I'm stumped. When I turn the key the engine light comes up so it's not the computer. Fuel pump kicks on when I try to start it. But no crank. I got full juice and I can't figure out what it is. I have juice, fuel spark and air just no crank? Plz help this car is my dd and she only has 119xxx

I'll try that tomorrow I'll get my buddy over here to crank it while I tap the starter. Not sure what it could be it sat for about six months bc of the harsh winter we had up here in Michigan. One day it would start other days the starter wouldn't even turn the block over. But now after my head gasket replacement and all she just doesn't want to turn over.

Good call on the ground. Ive forgotten them before. Sometimes bad starters wont start when tapping on them i always try it though. If that dont work id check power at the starter with a test light. I made one out of a old headlight bulb and socket they take more power to light than the stick kind. If you got power, power when cranking and ground id put a starter on.

Well today I checked the wiring and all is good. But still the starter will not engage. When I turn the key the lights dim and the fuel pump runs. But still the starter won't turn the engine. Before my timing belt, water pump and head gasket replacement she ran perfect but needed work. Now that the work is done. She won't crank. I'm frustrated and stuck. I'm about to just replace the starter. I don't know what else to do.​

Either your starter or battery. Make sure battery connections are tight. I'm sure you checked, its just that I had many situations like that, and usually it was just the battery terminal some what loose, or something dumb like that.

I am in Toledo Ohio I haven't had the chance to buy a starter yet bc I get paid every two weeks but I get paid tomorrow so sometime next week I'll be able to post what the problem is. And would an auto awd starter fit on an auto fwd?

take the starter off and take it up to Autozone and have them test it. Have you put fresh fuel in it since it sat for so long?

This might sound a little stupid but I had the same problem at 119k on my gst. I tried to start my car one day and would not start but I had lights and everything just no crank. I never had disable the clutch start switch under dash but when I finally unplugged it she started right time. May wanna check yours.

It's an automatic do they have a clutch start switch? And I got it tested..starter sure does work. I don't understand what the problem is

I had it running less than a month ago. Fixed a lifter tick. Put her back together and no power. And the gas is fresh. I might just say to hell with it and install a push button start

Not while it was on the car. I just got it tested today and it's good. I'm gonna leave my battery on the charger all night and see if that helps tomorrow when I put her back together

Well today was the day. I got my battery charged and I put the starter on and made sure all cables were clean and tight. Started right up no problem. Thanks for all the help guys. I look forward to being a part of this group to share my project. It's only just begun.:dsm:

Attachments

• 1406077170558.jpg
    1406077170558.jpg
    796.9 KB · Views: 139
I pm you @ohlegend I have another problem now. Got the car running after my not crank problem..and when I did the head gasket replacement I replaced one lifter bc it was bad..( not sure if that was ok to do but I should of replaced them all. Kinda on a tight budget..) I got the car started and I let it idle for a few. Then out of nowhere the idle dropped dramatically and it was like the engine is on life support. Made ticking noises and all. So I pulled the cover and three more lifters went bad..can this cause your engine to run choppy? Timing is dead on too.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back