The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

96 gst build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingreaper84

Probationary Member
Mar 1, 2012
Fort Stewart, Georgia
Alright well i just recently acquired a 96 gst with a rod knock. So today i pulled off the oil pan the metal shield and sure enough the #4 and #3 rod bearings r bad. I pulled the the bottom rod housing off and pulled the bearings out and sure enough they were bad and so wasnt the crankshaft journal. So now starts the rebuild i have never done this on a eclipse before so any tips would help i will update and add pics as i go along but on a very tight budget so will take awhile. If anyone has parts for sell to help me out please let me know. Thank you and stay tuned for the build.:pray:

Alright well i just recently acquired a 96 gst with a rod knock. So today i pulled off the oil pan the metal shield and sure enough the #4 and #3 rod bearings r bad. I pulled the the bottom rod housing off and pulled the bearings out and sure enough they were bad and so wasnt the crankshaft journal. So now starts the rebuild i have never done this on a eclipse before so any tips would help i will update and add pics as i go along but on a very tight budget so will take awhile. If anyone has parts for sell to help me out please let me know. Thank you and stay tuned for the build.:pray:

I'm not trying to be an ass, but people will jump on you for grammar on here. Punctuation, capitalization, etc.

Anyways, with your rebuild, you have a 2G (second generation) Eclipse, and as long as its the stock engine, it is a 7 bolt 4G63. The biggest problem with the 7 bolts, is crank walk. Just google crank walk, and follow some links, and you'll get an idea of where you can start. Also google 6 bolt and 7 bolt differences.

My first suggestion before you even consider a rebuild, is to check the crankshafts side to side play. If it exceeds the factory specs, then the crank has essentially "walked". And in that note, the engine is basically fubared.

On that note, if the crank checks out and you do start a rebuild, replace the timing belt at the bare minimum. Just look around on here, and find some threads on maintenance. You will see that a lot on here. Poor maintenance is typically the cause for the unreliability rumor on DSMs.

Other than that, good luck to you! What are your plans other than fixing the rod knock? And lets see some pictures!

Ok well i could care less about grammar. He r some pics of the car itself. Well its not letting me upload pics i will have some when i figure this out.

Well i have plans on keeping it stock for know. I deploy in about a year from now so till then just pick up parts here and there. My goal when i get back is fully forged motor with about 64mm turbo upgraded oil cooler and fuel system. I want to run low 11s and be a dd. A buddy of mine is doing it with a camaro but his is running high 9s with ac power steering full stock interior. so i would like to do the same but run low 11s.:p

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back