The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

96 Eagle Talon TSI AWD: The Gold Digger AKA Rust Bucket (Resto Mod, Wire Tuck, etc)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have had good results using panel bonding glue making my dash parts. And it sand easy and is black.

I'll check it out.

Looking good! I love how thoroughly you explain and show how you do your mods wish everyone went to the length you do. kudos to you!
Oh and how much you pay for your lifters? and where you get them, I'd like to redo mine. Maybe you could give me a ball park figure? thanks man!

Thanks.
Most of my stuff comes from FHSWedge, they are located in Niagara Falls, Ontario. Ziggy is a DSM guy himself and can get most everything you need.

Looking really good man!! Keep up the awesome work, can't wait to see how the S2K cluster turns out!

Thank, me either.

Been a long time since I've done anything with the harness on the car. I've been putting a lot of work into the LED conversions lately. However, the car can't drive without a harness so I need to get back to working on that this week along with the lighting stuff.
I've lacked real motivation for doing stuff with the harness and I think part of that relates directly to my work space being a COMPLETE mess. Every time I walk in their my heart sinks a bit and I just lose any motivation for working on the car. Today I decided enough was enough and cleaned the damn place up, so much better now! I actually like walking into the work shop again!

The mess I was dealing with.
IMGP2876.jpg

After some cleaning (I need more storage room haha).
IMGP2879.jpg

I also took some scrap ABS pipe I had laying around, cut it in half and screwed it to my work bench. Now I've got some where to keep my heat shrink, especially the dual wall stuff since you can't fold it.
IMGP2880.jpg

Did a tiny bit of work on the tuck though. I know I want my fuse box where the passenger air bag was. The bit of plastic in there makes for a problem though because it won't let the fuse box sit low enough for the cover to go back on.
IMGP2873.jpg

After a minute with the Dremel.
IMGP2874.jpg

Fuse box fits in perfect now, all I have to do is mount it up.
IMGP2875.jpg

I will get more work done this week!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice thread man love the diy, and injenuity good job.

Thanks man.

wow i love the s2k mod is there any-how to's on this? or simular products

I had a wiring pin out done for the swap but lost it in an HDD crash. So there's no how tos anymore, sorry.
It's not hard to figure out if you look at the wiring diagrams.

So basically do you just take the factory plug connection and tap the s2k dash harness into it? Do I need a program to reformat it or anything like that and how much do those clusters usually go for?

Wow I though mine had alot of rust. glad to see you restoring a 2g awd the right way, keep us updatede in suscribing to see where this goes, check out my build i just posted it up no to long also

Thanks guys!

I've been wanting to get at the chassis harness but with my father in law in town it's been kind of hard. Tomorrow morning I'm going to get on it though, I've got the day off so I can make some good progress. I will be adding all the alternator parts back in and MAYBE the rad fan stuff but I might go with a stand alone controller for them from Dakota Digital.

Been slowly working on the wiring harness over the past little while.
Fuse box has been mounted.
IMGP2954.jpg

Finished crimping the connectors on the fuse box harness (fuse box side).
IMGP2953.jpg

I swapped the alternator wiring back in (just need to decide how to run it now), swapped the US headlight wiring in (good buy DRLs) and started laying it all out so I can route things the way I want.
IMGP2986.jpg

Started actually laying out the engine harness in the car this weekend.
First I put the car up on jack stands, pulled the fenders and hood.
IMG_0213.jpg

Pulled the stock IM. Since I'm going with an SMIM; I need to move my coil pack. Put it in the vise for 2 seconds and bam it's relocated!
IMG_0214.jpg

I pulled the OEM power steering out and put the fittings in for the AN lines that will feed the MR2 EHPS pump.
IMG_0215.jpg

After buggering around with it for what seemed like hours, I got the Cannon plug installed.
IMG_0216.jpg

IMG_0217.jpg

I then bolted up the JMF SMIM in and started running the engine harness. Hard to see in the first picture but the fuel injector harness is installed. You can see it better in the second picture.
IMG_0218.jpg

IMG_0219.jpg

Here's the harness so far with only the injectors wired in.
IMG_0220.jpg

I then went ahead and installed the Speed Density sensors. I'm going to shorten these a bit more; they're a bit longer then I wanted.
IMG_0221.jpg

Then I put the Coolant sensor for the ECU and the Coolant Gauge. I will run this under the hoses when I install it.
IMG_0222.jpg

Here's the harness as it sits now. Injectors, Speed density, coolant sensor and gauge, coil, noise capacitor, Cam Position Sensor, Crank Position Sensor and VSS.
IMG_0223.jpg

That's all I got done this weekend, not as much as I wanted but I was also helping my Dad with things around there house so that took some time too. Next time I go out I will get the engine harness done and then get the dash harness done.
I'm happy with how the harness is coming out so far; I've shorterned it a nice bit. Hopefully I will get out there again in another few weeks!

Nice build man!Nice to see some nice dsm's out there on the rock.I'm going out for a visit next month.:hellyeah:

It certainly does but the rust is into the frame of the unibody and it's just not worth it to keep fixing it.
I will drive the car as is for a while though.

ZOMG update time!

First off do to some poor planning on my part things didn't go as....planned...Parts didn't show up on time and thus limited my ability to get as much work as I wanted done.

Here's what I did get done.
Engine side harness is complete minus the TPS and IAC. I'm waiting for my Q45 TB to show up and I also need to grab a Nissan Evap Purge Control Valve to mount my DSM IAC with some mods (see here: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/art...dd-dsm-iac-any-aftermarket-throttle-body.html).
100_0188.jpg

I started goint through the interior side of the engine harness to untangle things. Before actually doing any wiring I want to mount the dash, ecu, MFI, fuel pump and starter relays up before actually cutting any wires. However I forgot the brackets so I can mount everything up.
At least it's untangled so I can start working with it all next time I go out.
100_0189.jpg

I also made up some plates to mount my Duestch connectors in the wheel wells.
100_0190.jpg

100_0192.jpg

I'll be back out to the car on the 20th to finish the wiring up. I'll have my battery then too and maybe my distrubtion block if I can figure out what I'm doing with all the battery stuff.
Some good news, I turned the motor over via a socket in the crank pulley; I'm happy to say she turns over freely.

My goal is to have this thing running in November.

Went out to the car this weekend to knock some more stuff off. Sadly I didn't get everything I wanted done but I'm getting closer!
Saturday morning. I decided to start with something easy, bolting my FMIC on. Ya, not easy.....thanks to some rusty broken bolts this was a PITA!! I'm seriously considering replacing the rad support COMPLETELY on this thing right now.
However, I did get it bolted on.
100_0199.jpg

It was now Saturday afternoon and I was running out of steam so I opted to do a couple more easy things.
Remote Jumper Terminals.
100_0200.jpg

Through panel battery cable connectors in the wheel wells. Driver side has a positive and negative for the MR2 EHPS pump.
100_0202.jpg

Passenger side has two positive, 1 for the distrubtion/fuse box and 1 for the starter. One hole was drilled a bit too big, oops.
100_0203.jpg

Fire wall has 2 positive(only got one drilled). 1 for the starter and 1 for the alternator.
100_0211.jpg

Once all this was done it was time to pack it in as I had lost day light.

Sunday morning I jumped right into the interior side of the engine/ecu harness.
Look as this rats nest of wiring!!!
100_0204.jpg

Injector resistor box and Power Transistor's new home. I'm going to make a little aluminum panel/heat sink for them to bolt to.
100_0206.jpg

Starting to look a little less messy?!
100_0208.jpg

I started routing a few wires over towards the passenger side of the car (wipers, BCS, reverse lights, etc).
100_0209.jpg

When this started to happen...
100_0210.jpg

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!
Ah well I had to drive home anyhow.

Tonight I did some more work on the engine/ecu harness.
I started by routing wires and soldering some splices then using adhesive lined heat shrink.
100_0214.jpg

Pretty much finished interior side engine/ecu harness. Still need to route a few wires and solder a couple more things but I'm almost done.
100_0215.jpg

Engine side harness, done-ish. Needs a TPS pig tail soldered on, boost gauge wires added and my WBO2.
100_0216.jpg

Last thing I did before leaving the car on Sunday is take some measurements for the headlights, corner lights and bumper makers. Here's that part of the harness so far (passenger side).
100_0213.jpg

I'm getting close, crossing my fingers that next time I go out she will start for the first time in 2 years!

Wow down for 2 years? i cant even imagine that. Nice build, looking forward to seeing teh finished project.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back