The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

95eclipser's 1999 GSX - Street/Track Build - 2009-Present

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Did a couple small things to the car this weekend.

Picked up some night shadow glass tint with the goal of blacking out my reverse lights and side markers. This stuff sprays pretty decent. I didn't do to much prep before spraying them. Came out okay. I'm probably going to do the front side markers again. But use Amber ones this time. I had clear.

With my tune coming up I decided to make a boost leak tester and see if I have any leaks. So far not sure if it's working or not. I also decide to install my quick disconnect bumper latches. This is really a lot more work then it seems.

More pictures coming soon.

image-jpeg.316807.jpg

image-jpeg.316806.jpg

image-jpeg.316809.jpg

image-jpeg.316810.jpg

image-jpeg.316808.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    232.2 KB · Views: 73
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    249.6 KB · Views: 79
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    157.8 KB · Views: 111
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    122.3 KB · Views: 78
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    208.4 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
November 8th Update.

Well not much of an update on my side. I haven't really worked on the DSM since it's ready for the tune. My apt is this Friday the 11th I will be heading down south from Northern VA to see what this motor can do! Just hoping for the best outcome. Also I have found a set of EVO X MR BBS wheels. A friend of mine was sitting on a set from a recent part out. I should be picking them up in a couple weeks. Pics coming soon!

In other car news (not DSM related). I have been following along with a good friend of mines build. I was over a couple weeks ago, and helped him put interior chassis parts back together. This Suby of his is definitely one of a kind. It was a street car that he built for Time attack trials.
-Full wide body bugeye. With Hyper Blue paint. (First one of its kind I think?)
-Fully built motor with a rotated 30r kit.
-V mounted Radiator.
-Full Piper cage. with flocked dash.
-Stance 3way adjustable coilovers.
-APR GTC-300 wing
-Sitting on custom offset wheels and Toyo R888 tires.

On to the pics.
pb-hb-jpg.318082.jpg

ext-hb-jpg.318083.jpg

img_0420-jpg.318086.jpg

hb-3-jpg.318085.jpg

hb-gd-chassis-jpg.318084.jpg

Attachments

• PB HB.jpg
    PB HB.jpg
    412 KB · Views: 88
  • EXT HB.JPG
    EXT HB.JPG
    218.9 KB · Views: 70
  • HB GD Chassis.JPG
    HB GD Chassis.JPG
    524.4 KB · Views: 72
  • HB 3.JPG
    HB 3.JPG
    269.5 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0420.JPG
    IMG_0420.JPG
    266.4 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
November 8th Update.

Well not much of an update on my side. I haven't really work on the DSM since its ready for the tune. My apt is this Friday the 11th I will be heading down south from Northern VA to see what this motor can do! Just hoping for the best outcome. Also I have found a set of EVO X MR BBS wheels. A friend of mine was sitting on a set from a recent part out. I should be picking them up in a couple weeks. Pics coming soon!

In other car news, its not DSM related but I have been following along with a good friend of mines build. I was over a couple weeks ago and help him put interior chassis parts back together. This Suby is definitely one of a kind.
-Full wide body bugeye. With Hyper Blue paint. (First one of its kind I think?)
-Fully built motor with a rotated 30r kit.
-V mounted Radiator.
-Full Pipe cage. with flocked dash.

On to the pics.

Oh man, I bet you can't wait to get that beast tuned! How far are you driving for the tune?

I really like that color for a weekend car, a bit too loud for a DD though (not that this one is a DD, with the cage and all). I see an STi gauge cluster and Brembos, I assume the full STi drivetrain swap as well? That things going to be fun! I've always been partial to the JDM bugeye hoodscoop though, that really sets off the front end!

Oh man, I bet you can't wait to get that beast tuned! How far are you driving for the tune?

I really like that color for a weekend car, a bit too loud for a DD though (not that this one is a DD, with the cage and all). I see an STi gauge cluster and Brembos, I assume the full STi drivetrain swap as well? That things going to be fun! I've always been partial to the JDM bugeye hoodscoop though, that really sets off the front end!

I'm excited and scared at the same time for this tune. I am only driving about 45mins to and hour south. I'm taking the car back to Dave K. For my tune. He originally tuned this car with the old owner/setup, so I want to see what he can do with the new setup.

As for the Bugeye.

It's a full STI swap motor and drivetrain and interior for sure. I supplied him with the BDA 4000 rotors wing and suspension etc. But this color is actually the Hyper Blue color that comes stock on the 2015+ STI and the crossteck. It just looks so different on a GD chassis. He actually has a hyper blue crossteck also and it's a beautiful cooler in person.

For the front end I loved the look it had when it was silver wrx with Jdm goodies with the over fenders. But this Widebody is so nice and molded into the body. The paint work is great. He went with a RS hood because he is going to do custom carbon hood vents. Something like a seibon CW style venting. He needs more surface area to vent for heat during TA.

So November 11th finally arrived. I woke up around 6am unable to sleep. My tune apt was schedule for 1pm at EFI specialties but I was too excited to go back to sleep. I got my tools around and had a charger on the battery. My buddy Tyler showed up with his Ram 2500 Cummins around 9:30 and we were off to u-haul to pick up the trailer for the day. All and all no issue with the trailer. Beside it being beat to shit and not being able to open my car door. I had to crawl out of the rear hatch to exit the car... :banghead:

We got to EFI in Fredericksburg around 12:30ish. Dave Katz wasn't there yet so Tyler and I took our time pulling the car off the trailer and had a look around his lot at different projects he was working on.

Parked out front EFI Specialties. My GSX looks at home with the rest of the DSMs and Evos.

w2lZeHulPCfdX1afd5XsMQNeG8GnCfoR3PLEaTF99IJItMTSKwBUpuJuY_IL3xIjBe8xdu3ofLdXVPw=w1920-h1001.jpg

L6NrXMA6ILrllwTYV_qf-mwLiuBtDJ1xDPPADL2A7Fz7yGIXpm1-jWd8rl1HcTugCYGlyLIqS1J9LCU=w1920-h1001.jpg

u0XPhf7Hoegpuq2m-q2nSE5CyfEVZ7AP7vcVsdn0PAHmwPxWMRWELwgeiD_q5fDJd7VLijv04dQPUmk=w1920-h1001.jpg

Two EVO X's other silver one is a GSR and the black one is a MR. They both need motor work.
IMG_5654.JPG

Side Exit exhaust 1G
IMG_5657.JPG

IMG_5658.JPG

Dave finally arrived and we had a quick chat about his customers projects, and then we went over what I was looking to accomplish with my tune. I was going after good power that I could daily if I wanted. I swapped my plugs and Dave grabbed his timing light dialed in my timing. Within 5 mins Dave had my car idling better then I had been able to do in 1 month. Made my feel confidant I picked the right guy.

IMG_5660.JPG

IMG_5661.JPG

image-jpeg.318321.jpg

image-jpeg.318319.jpg

image-jpeg.318320.jpg

image-jpeg.318318.jpg

image-jpeg.318322.jpg

Highest pull of the day. Max Power 464, Max Torque 371.8 (FtLb) @26psi
Built 2.0
Kelford 272 cam
Magnus Intake manifold
PTE-6262 .82
image-jpeg.318490.jpg

Here is a comparable dyno graph of my 99 GSX Vs my old 97 GSX build. As you can see those extra liters helped make up for some power.
2.3L
FP4 280 cam
JMFab Race manifold
PTE-6262 .82

image-jpeg.318489.jpg

Videos:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    274.5 KB · Views: 81
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    438.6 KB · Views: 92
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    225.2 KB · Views: 75
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    326 KB · Views: 75
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    273.9 KB · Views: 72
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    223.3 KB · Views: 67
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    370.9 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
The following day, I took the car out for its first fill up (93 oct) and first drive in over 3 months. Before I headed over to my friend Phil's house to help him with his bugeye. Full boost happens around 4k and damn it felt good to be slammed back in my seat, and rev out 2nd and 3rd.

image-jpeg.318356.jpg

image-jpeg.318357.jpg

ioUyrg7YSU3oe0G95A8CaFTCYKK1M4Cbdc-fVl-b5vCkeclXe9RRyi0eQh-4J_eAl6LcVYknXtUiSbs=w1920-h1001.jpg

5m-KMFXYl3m_FfDNPcesXvdwBAFGo3FrpZhjUp1kcYTE_OEApgYFsNre1MR1Aw_n4QwS77Cikg4u44Y=w1920-h1001.jpg

Got to my buddy Phil's house with no issues beside having to re-tighten my PWS belt. As you can see Phil is in the middle of a motor pull on his bugeye. He finally decided to take the leap and swap over to the JDM 2.0 STI motor and 6 speed trans. This was my first time pulling a boxer motor. simple things felt tedious at times to remove, but I am so used to inline 4s that the learning curve on this thing was a good experience.
image-jpeg.318358.jpg

0Cc1kPWpeDciQJzt9JsyF3-T6mRiWV7VolJYnyOjweaHfPIV2Nc6n7QW31OKsrrpKfSrL--CevtfWtQ=w1920-h1001.jpg

1bnwFVHJq8SVXPV2M35CwDLq7NBW5U6l0ucGwPEpeKWabQkREcLWXNqhtnC7SOiNxdD88fdZePWti1c=w1920-h1001.jpg

H46lWifnuTC3ExotH0FUjksv5IZ64Sa1tEDafOEJD7zXNrOfdFj65VeEzfcqzghVdYWL20f4W64AVbI=w1920-h1001.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    212.4 KB · Views: 78
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    400.9 KB · Views: 72
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    313.7 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Well... what did it make?!

:thumb: Thanks for asking. Just got a chance to sit down and work on these. I will be updating my post above shortly. Still trying to transfer pics from my Camera to my computer.
Forgot my cable at home.

Wow, looking good. I'm sure driving that car around with a nice dyno tune is night and day!

Wow, looking good. I'm sure driving that car around with a nice dyno tune is night and day!

Its a huge difference! I cant believe the power and how smooth it comes on. My 2.3L seemed so angry when full boost hit. It did feel a little better with the 2.3 for cruising light to light.
I am so happy with the setup I plan to drive it to work on Friday. Glad to have my car back and running.

:dsm:

November 18th update.

Drove the GSX to work today. I have to say a feeling of accomplishment came over me during my drive. To rip apart your car heads first, and having the end results turn out just like you planned is a great feeling!

Couple things I learned from my drive. My front drivers speaker is either blown or not working right. The old owner installed a AP roll bar. well that mounts where my rear speakers go. So I have only one speaker for the whole car LOL. Interior work is high on my list of things to change.

Also my stock 17" ride nice but feel so small on this car. And they look so skinny in pictures. Cant wait to pick up my EVO X BBS's. More info on that coming soon!

Happy Friday everyone.

image-jpeg.318796.jpg

image-jpeg.318797.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    557.5 KB · Views: 88
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    359 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Update Nov 18th.

Well when you drive them you find out where the weak points are. Came out for lunch today to find a oil spot under the filter housing. I was like WTF??How?? I just did all this maintenance.. I couldn't see all that well so I decided to just pop off the quick release and crawl under and look at where is was coming from????

Oil is dripping straight from the lower cover parallel to the crank pulley. I'm guessing its either the pan seal or that front seal. I thought I got all the leaks but who knows. Also I don't know if the oil filter housing has ever been ported but this motor could have high oil pressure.

image-jpeg.318824.jpg

Update: Nov 16 11:51pm I found my leak. Front main seal. UV light is awesome for tracing a leak.
image-jpeg.318873.jpg

image-jpeg.318874.jpg

UV light makes the oil illuminate.
image-jpeg.318875.jpg

There's my leak. The front main seal didn't seal properly. I didn't use oem so I learned that lesson.
image-jpeg.318876.jpg

image-jpeg.318877.jpg

I even tried it on my return line. I tired a couple times to get this to seal.
image-jpeg.318878.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    373.2 KB · Views: 67
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    191.7 KB · Views: 69
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    171.2 KB · Views: 67
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    148.8 KB · Views: 62
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    150.8 KB · Views: 65
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    137.2 KB · Views: 76
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    88.8 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
I spy a Galant VR-4. I wonder who it belongs to?

I think that one actually belong to the owner of the shop. I cant remember if he bought the summit or the VR-4 off his friend.

Looking good man more updates.

haha Thanks man. Once my part out is completed on the 98 GSX. This car will be getting a lot of new items installed.

Well now that this 98 GSX is out of my garage. I can finally clean up and bring my 99 GSX home and start installing all of the new goodies I recently acquired. :]

To be installed.

New Coolant and oil catch can with Vented Valve cover.
Black carpet w/ floor mats
New Radio setup
New Sparco Steering wheel
New Corbeau Seats w/ harnesses (I am going to repaint my cage)
New black interior trim pieces
Bullfab front cross-member
Frontline Fab billet goodies and Rear diff cover.

Stay tuned.

IMG_3598.JPG
IMG_3587.JPG
IMG_3626.JPG

Update 1/16/17

Sunday was a warmer then usual day in Virginia, so I decide to take advantage of the weather and swap out the interior of my GSX to all the new parts I pulled from my 98 GSX part out.

First thing on the list was removing the old worn, and stained gray carpet. Found a lot of dirt and coins under it, but for the most part the body was very clean. The new carpet was much thicker and harder to install. I still need to go back and adjust a couple panels to make it fit just right. After the carpet was done In stalled my new Black glove box, and lower kick panels. Then I moved on and I bolted in my Corbeau Seats. I have to say the car feels, and looks so much better with all black interior. I also swapped over a Suede shift boot. I never liked the fact that our OEM shift boots looked so much like the plastic panels of the car. This suede replacement is a lot nicer.

Next update will included New steering wheel, new radio and door speakers.

IMG_3701.JPG
IMG_3703.JPG
IMG_3702.JPG
IMG_3705.JPG
IMG_3706.JPG
IMG_3707.JPG
IMG_3704.JPG

Last edited:
Even though it was rainy and wet all weekend I still found a couple hours to get some work done on the DSM.

Here is a run down of everything I installed this weekend:
Kiggly HLA
Vented Valve cover with SS bolts
Gamble oil catch can
Gamble coolant catch can
Frontline Fab Cas cover
Aluminum Radiator Brackets
Clear Cam cover
Sparco Steering wheel (need to get the horn fixed)

More updates coming soon.

Thanks,

IMG_3760.JPG
IMG_3762.JPG
IMG_3763.JPG
IMG_3765.JPG
IMG_3772.JPG
IMG_3769.JPG
IMG_3770.JPG

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back