The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

95 TSi Build - wire tuck / brake line tuck / engine bay shave

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Love the build, my question is about the LSD swap,,Any reason you took the entire subframe out to do it? seems swapping the pumpkin and axles would have been easier but i'm just assuing. When i did my AWD swap the donor subframe had non-LSD parts in it but i found some LSD parts in another drivetrain i bought and just swapped the pumpkin and axles into it before i put it in the car

Hoping to get my tuck as half as clean as yours this coming year :D

Love the build, my question is about the LSD swap,,Any reason you took the entire subframe out to do it? seems swapping the pumpkin and axles would have been easier but i'm just assuing. When i did my AWD swap the donor subframe had non-LSD parts in it but i found some LSD parts in another drivetrain i bought and just swapped the pumpkin and axles into it before i put it in the car

Hoping to get my tuck as half as clean as yours this coming year :D

im surprised you ask. but the old non lsd subframe was rusted to hell.. and i didnt want to deal with rusted bolts, and plus like 75% of the bushings were torn...

the lsd subframe was in WAY better shape, the bushings were nice, no rusted bolts..

I did swap the vented rear rotors and the calipers from the non lsd subframe to the LSD subframe.. the lsd subframe had solid rotors and smaller calipers.

and I had a lift. :D

yes, but its something I would like to keep to myself for now since wiretucks and brake line tucks are fairly new and sort of catching on with DSM's. I kinda wanna keep mine my way, you know? sorry.

Props on a VERY good build man, that thing is clean as hell. I am loving everything about it! Not sure if this was asked yet, but what would you say it weighs now with everything eliminated?

the scale at the speedway with me in it and only one seat told me it was 2900lbs. I weigh 224lbs

What all was in/out of the car at this point (other than the one seat)? What all have you eliminated? I'm not sure how you achieved a sub-2700 lb car. I'm running a FWD with a lot of weight removed, weigh 100 lbs less than you, and still are above 2700 lbs without me in it, and by a good bit (2786 lbs).

hmmm... i'll start from headlight to tail light for what i could remember.

bumper support, bumper support forks, power steering cooler, a/c condenser, plastic pieces that line the fender well, power steering system, a/c system, smaller pulley on the water pump, any factory plastic piece from the firewall forward, every wire not used in the engine bay completely de-pinned from connector to fuse box, every nut and bolt with no purpose in life was removed, every stud that holds the interior pieces were cut off. ABS system completely removed including wiring from unit to fuse box.

Any system I deleted was de-pinned from connector to fuse box. The winshield wiper system was removed including the switch on the steering column. oem fuel feed and return lines were replaced with braided lines. every single piece of interior was removed with the exception of the dash board and center to the arm rest was left in. no door panels, i replaced the power windows with manual doors, everything under the dash is gone. i dont have a heater system either, all i have under the dash is the wiring for the fuse box,ecu and guage cluster. no raido system at all inclucing wiring under the dash, every wire under the dash not used was de-pinned and removed and wires from the engine bay and under the dash were shortened and re soldered. (to the people wondering, there is no wiring issues, thank you)

the oem sseats were replaced with buddy club buckets. factory seat belts removed and replaced with crowe 2, 5 point harness. The under side of the dash was shaved down to remove any structur that was used to hold other thing in place, so i basically made it thinner. no roof liner, no pillars ect. the washer fluid tank and complete system removed. rear wiper system removed. washer nozzle on the roof of the trunk and everything that goes with it is gone.. the cable for the fuel door is gone also every wire not used inside the car is gone.. I had my side exit exhaust on that night and had the full exhaust in the garage at home. I dont have a wing. rear bumper supports and brackets.. all the oem exhaust brackets under the car were removed and replaced with 3 lighter brackets. all heat shields removed. I cut the spare tire hump and placed a flat sheet of aluminum with rivets. all the sound deadening inside the car and under. no carpet.

I do have a 6 point cage. the bracket that is behind the rear seat that is spot welded from strut tower to strut tower was removed. the lower half of the dash was removed, no glove box, no cover for steering wheel column. that brackets that hold the dash were cut smaller.

lighter wheels, im using ksport 36 way adjustable coilovers which are lighter than stock... thats most of what I could remember.

I have a question about the weight removal and its effects on brake bias. I know you switched to a non-ABS valve but has this had a brake control problem? I have talked to a few people that have upgraded there brake system on non ABS cars that has had early rear brake lock up situations. Have you thought about using a adjustable perportioning valve?

What more have you and your brother removed?

Here's a thread on a good portion of my bro's build. It doesn't include everything, but a decent amount. More has been done since then. I could list out everything we've torn out, but it'd take me forever to think of everything.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/hangout/298569-my-fuse-box-relocation-project-log.html

The main things you have removed that we haven't are:
-swapped out front seats (we both still have stock ones)
-front bumper and brackets
-front windshield wiper system
-every wiring harness minimized (my brother just has ECU/engine bay stuff done)
-all interior plastic and spare tire hump
-exhaust

However, neither of us have cages.

I have a question about the weight removal and its effects on brake bias. I know you switched to a non-ABS valve but has this had a brake control problem? I have talked to a few people that have upgraded there brake system on non ABS cars that has had early rear brake lock up situations. Have you thought about using a adjustable perportioning valve?

I know what you are saying, but I just said screw it and can't just read read and read, I just went and did it my self. My rears do not lock up. it feels like a normal non abs system. not to be rude or anything, but maybe you are just over-thinking or theorizing too much. I mean, it's a non ABS prop valve, and actually its from a galant and not a eclipse/talon, It has a different proportioning set than an abs valve would right? A LOT of people told me so many things were going to either not work, be weird in someway. IM actually looking for a master cylinder that bolts up to the brake booster that has the reservoir on the master cylinder as well with the clutch master cylinder, because i hate seeing those stupid reservoirs bolted on to the fire wall.

Also with everything that I did to the entire car wire harness, I was told left and right not to do it because I was going to end up with so many electrical issues. well the only thing I did wrong and it was a mistake because two wires looked like the color I was removing, it was the data wire from obd2 port to ecu and power wire to obd2 port.. but that was taken care of asap.anyway i hope you get my point.

I'm not saying what you did was wrong in anyway in fact I admire the level that you went too, just trying to get a feel or feed back on the conversion to non-ABS brakes thats all and any issues that may pop up. I've never done a mod to my car that didn't affect something else in some way shape or form. Just asking becuase of the drastic weight lose did it affect brake bias. You say no so i'll go from there. If I didn't ask then i'm not covering all the bases. Sorry if I came off the wrong way with my question.

I'm not saying what you did was wrong in anyway in fact I admire the level that you went too, just trying to get a feel or feed back on the conversion to non-ABS brakes thats all and any issues that may pop up. I've never done a mod to my car that didn't affect something else in some way shape or form. Just asking becuase of the drastic weight lose did it affect brake bias. You say no so i'll go from there. If I didn't ask then i'm not covering all the bases. Sorry if I came off the wrong way with my question.

Well from a personal experience, I prefer non-abs. 1) Because the gs-t I had did not come with abs. 2) I love the feel of the pedal with non-abs, and I got used to "heel toe" this way. and it made it easier since I had the whole car completely stripped apart. I completely eliminated the abs wire harness from the abs unit to the abs computer to fuse box and no lights were triggered when I first started the car and drove, because there are no sensors anymore to trigger a fault.

Then again, there are people that prefer the comfort of the abs system.

Do you have any detailed pictures of the wiring ? Unless I missed it. I am looking to clean up my engine bay like you did such an awesome job at doing.

I should clarify, looking for like where you ran the wires through the firewall? I assume you made a hole? Did you find cutting the harness in half easier ? I am going to do the same I think cut it in half, do the enfine then the ecu side and solder rhem when measured. I assume that's what you did as well ?

Do you have the wiring laid out , after you've modified it ?
Or let me send you my harness and some cash and you do it for me ! Haha

im going to pull my harness in a week here or so to do some changes to it and maybe put a connector on the firewall. depends how much im in the mood for it.

Ive been a little too busy to update this. Ive updated more things to it. I'm sorry to leave people hanging . I don't have enlighten spare time to do a write up on how I did everything, I wish I could... The least ill try to do is post pictures so u can see what i did .

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back